IGNORED

Doctor Clu's Dissertations - Doctor Clu's Sprite Hacks and other Ha

RSS Bot

As a kid I enjoyed playing games, and would say " Not bad, but it could also use this..."

Well this is a list of games that I have given a bit more of "this" to jazz it up. :D

Miner 2049er (Atari 2600)

Played first on the Retron 77 as part of a collection, I found the initial game had a surprising amount of detail of the Atari 800 version for a Atari 2600 game. But the character sprite didn't even have Bounty Bob's hat. So sprites were altered based on the Atari 800 version of Miner 2049er.

Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)
Hacking an already amazing hack that looked more like the Arcade, detail was given to make more arcade accurate enemies and eventually a buggy with three rolling wheels. :)

Bubsy Kitt'N Kaboodle (Atari 2600) [Hack of Fast Eddie]
This was the one that started it all. Wouldn't it be fun to have Bubsy on my Atari Flashback Portable was the original idea. The handy tool of Hack-O-Matic was found, I had some guidance from fellow sprite hacker and friend Kevin, and off I went on adventures. Versions for the Atari 800, 5200, Vic 20, and Commodore 64 have also been hacked. And this has had the fun of being played in alpha versions on Atari 2600 emulators on the Atari Jaguar and Niuon as well.

Battlestar Galactica (Atari 2600) [Hack of Space Attack]

The following was Inspired by reading up on Space Battle for the Intellivision and after discovering that Space Attack for the Atari VCS works on the VCS emulator for the Jaguar. From that point on, the game was hacked to look and feel more like the show it was supposed to be based on in the first place: Battlestar Galactica. So this has changes in color to the enemy fire, the background color, the color the screen flashes when you ship explodes, the color of the squadrons, and of course sprites. Took a bit to track all that down. :D

Virtual VCS (Atari 2600 emulator for the Atari Jaguar)
Pasting in game rom images into a program just thought to be a demo and finding some games that actually worked! :D

Atari 800 emulator (Nuon)
Same trick as above, replacing a built in game image in a burnable disc image with another game image. Got Return of Heracles to come up, though it doesn't play very far. Still fun to see that much.

More hacks to be added here as they happen. :D

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-4709-0-20586200-1534657459.png
  • blogentry-4709-0-57713600-1534657488.png

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/653/entry-14977-doctor-clus-sprite-hacks-and-other-hacks/