IGNORED

Anyone programming "Space Taxi" now ?

Lord-Chaos

I´ve posted the idea of a C64 to ATARI 2600 port of this classic game a few months ago.

Anyone now working on this project ?

I must admit that I don´t have the skills for such a game,so I cannot write it on the ATARI 2600,on the ATARI 800 it would be possible,but not on the ATARI 2600.

I think this one is something for the skilled ATARI 2600 programmers , because it has some physics , many screens and the original even has sampled speech.

So it has to be at least 16K,better 32K.

BTW. Anyone working on an Arkanoid or Krakout -game , a better Breakout game now for the 2600 ? I mean this is difficult,too , especially with Paddles , so I cannot program it for the 2600 , but maybe someone else ?

On the ATARI 800,there are enough Arkanoid-games (Arkanoid,Ataroid,Unicum) , so on this system it wouldn´t be a challenge.Breakout can be programmed in BASIC in a few hours on this machine.

Thimo

I saw screenshots of the C64 version and it looked like a primitive version of Crazy Taxi.

It's a nice idea.

And Thomas, looks like it could be a job for you?

I wish I know programming myself. No time to learn. :(

I saw screenshots of the C64 version and it looked like a primitive version of Crazy Taxi.

?

you are confusing space taxi with crazy taxi, very different games.

"hey taxi!"

Actually, I'm noting the similarities between both games.

Maybe I´ll try this later when I ´ve learned more about the ATARI 2600 if no one programs it.

The problem is that a good version of this game requires a lot of programming skill and I´m working on an "easier" project now.

The biggest problem would be the "physics"-engine , the limited amount of RAM , the sampled speech.Definitely a 32K game or more.

I´ll start with an 8K game , something completely different.

The best way of improving ATARI 2600 skills is by programming.

Same problems with Arkanoid or Krakout-type games , would not be possible to make a good version in just 8K.

But its time for a better Breakout,because Breakout and Super Breakout are really old now...

Thimo

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I'm noting the similarities between both games.

The only similarity is that they are taxi games, as in picking up people and taking them to their destinations. As it happens, the vehicles are yellow because that was/is a stereotypical colour for a Taxi in the US.

Space Taxi is my all-time favourite C64 game. I think it would be better ported to the 5200 or 7800 though. You need the voice to really make it worthwhile. That would be great!

they added voice to berzerk, and quadrun has voice, o yee of little faith

(and I never said crazy taxi was like space taxi, if u read ull c i was sarcastically mentioning how crazy taxi has SOOO MUCH in common with lunar lander, just like space taxi does! (ie NOT))

notice how that SS on that page uses the actual c64 CT gfx as a map :-)

Archived