IGNORED

atari2600land's Blog - Mr. Stick

RSS Bot

So I've decided on my next Game Boy game to work on. I needed a simple idea that hasn't been done on the Game Boy yet. MidSpace is (sort of) based on Tempest. My new game I'll be working on, The Adventures of Mr. Stick, will be (sort of) based on the classic Atari 2600 game Fast Food. In this game, Mr. Stick needs to dodge the icky vegetables and get the yummy candy. One thing will be changed, though: Mr. Stick NEEDS to get the candy, or he'll lose a life. I'll explain why.

The game I'm planning on doing involves moving Mr. Stick as he is on the title screen up and down. Since one could keep playing forever just by holding down to avoiding the vegetables, I figured I needed to add an element of danger for the game, something that would make Mr. Stick need to move up on screen to expose himself to oncoming vegetables. I figured this would have to be it, so I'm making it that.

In the game, Mr. Stick will be on the left side of the screen, and the candy/vegetables will start on the right side and zoom towards the left. Points will be given to Mr. Stick every time he dodges a vegetable or eats a piece of candy.

All I have though right now is the title screen. Mr. Stick bobs his head to the music. This was hard to do, as I thought I would need to make Mr. Stick a group of background tiles. This is what I ended up doing. Thus, Mr. Stick can only move in increments of 8 pixels since each tile is 8x8 pixels. But it looks good, so it'll be what I'll be doing to move Mr. Stick up and down in the main game.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/168/entry-14999-mr-stick/