IGNORED

Networking between different platforms

emkay

Maybe it is a little off topic here, but I don't find a fitting forum for this.

So I am an owner of actual P3 and P4 Systems, Notebooks etc. It is no problem to build a network with them....

But I own today an 800XL, 1040STF, MEGA ST1, AMIGA 2000 (HD) too and will get a Falcon 030 and an AMIGA4000 for a roundup....

Now I am thinking about a functional network between this Computers.

So I need informations about networking on ST/AMIGA and XL ofcourse and how to make them TCP/IP compatible to be connected to the PC ...

So I need informations about networking on ST/AMIGA and XL ofcourse and how to make them TCP/IP compatible to be connected to the PC ...

Interesting idea -- but, I'm affraid I can't offer much in the way of help. The only suggestion I have is to use a SIO2PC cable for the XL to one of your PCs. That won't give you TCP/IP connectivity, but it will allow you to transfer files to and from your PC and print from your Atari to your printer. That covers most of what you probably want from a TCP/IP connection on the Atari.

I'm planning on building one of these cables myself and connecting it permanetly up to one of my Linux boxes. Then, I'll have a shared filesystem that I can use from any of my other machines to send files to/from the Atari. It's not as nice as being able to do something like FTP from the Atari, but it's not that bad either :)

Maybe it is a little off topic here, but I don't find a fitting forum for this.

So I am an owner of actual P3 and P4 Systems, Notebooks etc.  It is no problem to build a network with them....

But I own today an 800XL, 1040STF, MEGA ST1, AMIGA 2000 (HD) too and will get a Falcon 030 and an AMIGA4000 for a roundup....

Now I am thinking about a functional network between this Computers.

Atari st can be networked (slowly) over null modem and MiNT or any other of the weird networking schemes available. Most people seem to setup a nfts on their pc and have the st access it that way. Never done it myself but it requires a bit of software tinkering. I beleive megast have an actual network card, but if it doesnt then the above should work. The falcon has a couple solutions. There is a scsi/ethernet adaptor that has Mint drivers for it that I have, but haven't messed with yet because I dont have a copy of hddriver.

There are tons of ways to get tcp/ip connections on these computers but many are fairly invovled. Id pick the one that you need the functionality the most and dig into it.

Peter(still uses floppy transfers most of the time)

@Smileydude

Thanks for mention the SIO-Interface. I own one since my lifetime XL-ST times ;)

Well I am thinking about a SIO-Subnet for the 8-Bits and connect to the PC. Maybe I will build one Server for all Systems. To handle the copied/created files it is maybe necessary to create communication files...

So at first you need a transfer-program to exchange the files between XL and PC. This "transfer-program" shows Directorys of the PC as Floppydiscs. Remembering the Discspace from XL OS is very small...: So you may "send" temporary files with "Commands" that are looking like:

:SEARCH:DROPZONE.COM:D1

So a program on the Server-PC is searching on the disc-file that inhabits DROPZONE.COM and copies it to the directory for the D1 drive. and you can restart the xl by booting for dropzone.

Or

:DATAIN:CHAT:

:DATAOUT:CHAT:

So a program on the PC relays DATA received by TCP/IP ....

To communicate this way between XL and PC a simple BASIC program is needed on the XL...

Isn't there a solution by using simple TOS?

Afaik there is nothing in TOS that allows for networking. You can null modem with diffrent software packages (many free) or there are numerous hardware hacks for true ethernet style connectivity. You might wish to refer to the quick faq

http://www.atari.org/hosted/quickfaq/stfaq_4.htm#13

here is a one of the hardware style ethernet hacks for the st

http://www.dwade.freeserve.co.uk/atari/main.html

the falcon scsi solution ( i plan to try this as soon as I'm done moving)

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/ethernet/main.htm

This may also work for the st

atari netowrking info (with schematics)

http://users.pandora.be/saka/atari/ethernet/index.htm

8-but internet access and netowrking

http://home.earthlink.net/~atari8bit/ice.htm

its not easy, support isn't native to TOS but they are many options that will work.

Archived