IGNORED

4 port 5200 question

Jetboot Jack

It sounds to me like you're using a standard RF switchbox to connect the 5200 to the TV.

The 4-port 5200's required a special, automatic switchbox. The AC Adapter connected to the switchbox rather than the 5200, and the 5200 got it's power from the same cable that carried the video signal from the unit to the switchbox.

The switchbox then automatically switched to 'Game' when the 5200 was turned on, and 'TV' when you switched the game off.

I've never owned a 4-port model, so I'm a little confused about your exact situation. How do you have power connected to the 5200?

I am fairly certain though that the same switchbox won't possibly work with both an Intellivision & most 4-port 5200s.

Steve

Steve,

Maybe I was imprecise in my previous post, let me explain...

I have a 4 port switch box and a 4 port 5200.

The power goes into the switchbox then one cable links that to the 5200.

If I press the powerswitch on the 5200 I get the power light on the console, but I get no picture on channel 3 or 4.

The pass thru connector on the 5200 switchbox allows my INTV to connect to the same TV - and that signal is passed thru just fine...

sTeVE

The 5200 uses channels 2 or 3. Not 3 or 4.

(I think the 4 port is the same as the 2 port in this way.....)

Try channel 2. Also make sure that the standby swith on the 4 - port RF is not set to standby.

Do you get anything on the screen? Does it not change at all or does it turn black?

Charlie

quote:

Originally posted by Jet Boot Jack:

The powerlight comes on the 5200, the switchbox will pass thru my Intellivision just fine, but flipping the switch, and powering up the 5200 results in no picture - I suspect the Switch box...

I have the same problem right now. When you disassemble the switchbox, there's a relay inside. Does it click when the console is powered? If no, there is probably a problem in a switchbox (I assume you have it switched to 'normal').

I tried to short the emitor and collector of switching transistor', that showed me that the console is okay, just the capacitor/comparator/transistor way is probably broken.

My 4 port 5200 did the same thing on me and I discovered that when I powered on the 5200 that while I had the power LED, I was never hearing a Click from the relay. Cracking the switchbox open I found out that the transitor next to the power port was actually missing a piece indicating it had literally popped. Tracing further it was discovered that the little OpAmp on the switchbox was actually bad. Replacing both of these items was less than $5 bucks from Radio shack and that switch box still works to this day.

Asking around I was told that someone must have plugged an 800 PS into this switchbox causing the opamp to blow and the transitor to go with it.

Hope that helps...

I do have a spare 4 port switchbox that works just fine. If you want we could work out a trade perhaps.

I collect actively for the 2600,5200,7800, my 800xl needs tons of stuff, Colecovision,Intellivision, NES, SNES, Saturn, Lynx, GameGear, and Genesis...phew...

Having not played my Atari 5200, I was pleasantly startled when my 4 port switchbox clicked when I inserted the cord.

I'm just not used to that considering I'm used to Playstation and Super Nintendo.

There's often a spark too, I wonder what all of that is.

The spark can be avoided by pluggin in the RF cable into the switchbox first...and then plugging in the power cord.

Sparks aren't too much a problem unless you've just have a huge lunch involving chili or texmex with lots of beans (Still wainting for my eyebrows to grow back...).

Ok - I hooked up my 4 port system, and I cannot get a picture on my TV...

The powerlight comes on the 5200, the switchbox will pass thru my Intellivision just fine, but flipping the switch, and powering up the 5200 results in no picture - I suspect the Switch box...

Any ideas if I'm thinking right here???

sTeVE