IGNORED

BomberCats: a new Lynx game coming Fall 2018!

LordKraken

• 4 years later...
Posted (edited)

And 6 years (!!!) after the initial post, not only the game still exists but there is a special edition coming soon at Songbird Productions, which was initially released for jagfest'24 last weekend and will be soon available to everyone!

More information to come :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2018 at 12:38 PM, LordKraken said:
Is there a solo adventure?

No. This version of BomberCats consists of the battle mode only. I'm still thinking of adding an arcade mode.

Would be very nice to see an Adventure mode; here is also many chances to differentiate it from BomberMan.

After some playthroughs, I found it - as is now - a very well coded, nice looking and nice sounding game with classic gameplay-charm.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone and everyone who still plays Atari Lynx games on some regular basis. If you qualify to the last; this is for you!

If an expanded version comes, I hope for:

- different cats (either looks only, but could also be energy, speed, extra armory/weapens eligable for that cat (could this help differentiate it further from the inspiration source?)

- adventure-campaing with many levels (…on map?), with different tiles/background graphics, - or different colors on the tile-sets.

- shop with more explosives (trade in score for bombs)

- randomized obstacles on the levels (dropholes - walk here and loose, or be reset, walls with boobytraps - chain-reaction explosions, laser-walls that turn and off, eerie-wall: rebuilds itself from crumbles after 15/30 sec., bad ground under wall; if you blow away the wall, the ground beneath becomes a hole so you must find a way round it, or a almost-too-solid wall, which will, not crumble but topple over, to be used as bridge, or make an opponent flat-as-a-cartoon.)

On that note; 

Thanks for CosmoCats

Verdict:

I give it a   8,5/10

and I recommend it to everyone who plays Atari Lynx games regularily as of 2024, but also to collectors, newbies to the Lynx as a retro console. Not a long game, but whats here shines and sparks that liitle Arcadey twinkle when it winks its eye at you!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 8:38 PM, LordKraken said:

In any case the game will also be available as a rom download for a symbolic price. All benefits will be given to charity and the process will be completely transparent.

My offer is: pm the Jagfest edition ROM file to me here, with a Paypal link, and I will send $49.95 within 24 hours.

If the Paypal link is a charity, I will pm you proof of payment.

If an agreement is in place that you cannot distribute your own game at the moment, I look forward to the completed version.