IGNORED

Atari Age Votes: Best shooting game on the 2600! (Ranking)

TigerSuperman

I SO dont understand why Beamrider isnt higher on the list, could be its rarity though

Could very well be.

I've played all VCS shooters to the bone and this one got to me the most.

There are not that many 2600 games that get you completely into 'the zone', but this one definitely does.

It's build-up, variety, fluid gameplay and challenge level beats all the others, IMO.

It's an underrated masterpiece, most probably due to its late release date (1984).

If it would have been released two years earlier, it would've blown everybody's socks off.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 2

Beamrider is a great game - I've just not played it as much it being a late discovery for me.

Spider Fighter is a really nice game but it's too easy and too generous with 1ups.

I really don't see the appeal of River Raid. It doesn't do anything for me at all - and never did.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

My Top-5 is this:

(1) Phoenix

(2) Draconian

(3) Space Rocks

(4) Space Invaders Arcade (graphic-hack of Space Invaders - points can go to Space Invaders)

(5) Super Cobra Arcade

But - there are alot of good shooting-games more on the Atari VCS-2600 which i really like, so it was difficult for me, to choose only five.

Edited by AW127

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I missed this topic. I'm late but here's my top 5.

1. Beamrider (by a bunch)

2. Phoenix

3. Super Cobra Arcade

4. Space Attack

5. Demon Attack

I see a lot of Juno First accompanied by Beamrider. I need to give it another look.

• Like 1

1. Megamania (only Activision title I ever "beat," at score of 999990 it stops game and returns to start screen, original cart is in my avatar pic, and it still works!!)

2. Atlantis

3. River Raid

4. Beamrider

5. Defender

Honorable mention: Asteroids (original) - only because of the hours spent playing it...was not my favorite game, most of us were disappointed when it came out (looks nothing like the arcade version!!) BUT it was one of the only "fresh" titles on the 2600 when it came out (it was all we had besides Space Invaders!!!) The one refreshing feature was all the variations like shields, hyperspace, 180 degree flipping -- that was quite amazing in the early 1980's....

Edited by eddhell
  • Like 1

1. River Raid. Aiming and shooting, but also combined with the strategy of controlling velocity and your banking speed, choosing paths and targets, and fuel management. Great game!

2. Megamania. Such variety and challenge. For some reason I've always enjoyed this one.

3. Space Invaders. The original, simple and pure shooting.

4. Phoenix. Mostly due to nostalgia and the mothership battle, but this one was very well done.

5. Juno First. No nostalgia for me, since I never saw it at arcades, but the 2600 port is fantastic.

• Like 1

Just FYI, I believe the person that started this thread has deleted their account (or something like that). The first post will likely never receive an update and someone else will need to do the tally.

Just so you know: The original poster was Biff's Gaming Videos, or Biff Slifker who is a chronic abuser of these forums. That was one of at least 20 fake accounts he's been using to spam these forums with and toy with users. He's still here with at least a few fake accounts that are being closely watched. He's still contributing to this thread as well, so be advised.

• Like 2

Here's a quick tabulation through Nuclear Pacman's votes:

Points System:

1. River Raid = 87

2. Demon Attack = 82

3. Beamrider = 59

4. Asteroids = 54

5. Phoenix = 51

Number of Votes:

1. Demon Attack = 28

2. River Raid = 25

3. Asteroids = 20