IGNORED

Borzork

Omega-TI

There is one thing missing in Borzork that I miss.  The FCTN-QUIT key is not active.  While it's not an issue on my main system that has a reset button, or when you use the FinalGROM, when it's in a stand alone cartridge it can be an inconvenience.  Currently the TIPI on my beige system gets power from the TI, so I don't like cycling the power.  I suppose I'll have to buy an external wall-wart for that system so it's no longer an issue.   

So as a request to future game makers, I'd like to request the FCTN-QUIT combination remain active or a quit option be included in future games like in Escape North Korea.  Thanks.

• Like 1

For anyone doing so and not being aware how, this snippet right out of the console ROM is all you need:

LI R12,>0024         * Load CRU
        CLR R13                * column select
        LDCR R13,3
        SRC R12,7            * Delay?
        LI 12,>0006
        STCR R13,8             * Fetch row bits
        LI R11,>1100        * match value for QUIT
        CZC R11,R13         * QUIT keys? (FCTN and ?
        JNE KEYNQ

CLR @>83C4         * clear console interrupt hook (unnecessary if not used)
        BLWP @>0000       * reboot
KEYNQ  

This of course corrupts R11, R12 and R13. You can use any register in place of R11 and R13, but R12 must be R12. Also, if you use extended features like F18A or such, you should disable those before the reboot, since the ROM won't. ;)

Of course, if you enable the console interrupt routine, then you get it for free there.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Of course, if you enable the console interrupt routine, then you get it for free there.

I had not given this thought, but if you are using F18A features and the console ISR, you probably want to manually detect QUIT to re-lock the F18A before reset. Right?

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I had not given this thought, but if you are using F18A features and the console ISR, you probably want to manually detect QUIT to re-lock the F18A before reset. Right?

Definitely, yeah.. use the bit flags there to turn off automatic quit detection and do it yourself instead.

• 2 years later...

A like brought me again to this thread, and a lot of things have happened since that fateful December 2020.

I forgot a lot of things, and even that this thread existed, but now I want to properly give thanks to people who made donations.

I wasn't asking for anything but many people helped, and it really helped me later as I wasn't in the state to work properly.

To all of you from the bottom of my heart: Thanks!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, nanochess said:

A like brought me again to this thread, and a lot of things have happened since that fateful December 2020.

I forgot a lot of things, and even that this thread existed, but now I want to properly give thanks to people who made donations.

I wasn't asking for anything but many people helped, and it really helped me later as I wasn't in the state to work properly.

Hey, man.  I tried several times to send something to you, but PayPal denied the transactions every time with no explanation.  I would still like to get something to you if it will still be of help.  I am glad to hear from you again, and I hope things are heading up for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Hey, man.  I tried several times to send something to you, but PayPal denied the transactions every time with no explanation.  I would still like to get something to you if it will still be of help.  I am glad to hear from you again, and I hope things are heading up for you.

Currently I'm doing well. I appreciate the intention.

19 hours ago, nanochess said:

No problem. Glad we could help in a small way..  Thank you for what you made for our orphan computer.. :)

• Like 1