IGNORED

Name the consoles you dislike (and why)

Agreed.  I came around at the tail end of the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision age and I must say one thing.  Pad controllers are one of the best innovations in gaming.  Joysticks definitely have their retro appeal, but they are ergonomically a nightmare.  I can only play my 2600 for short periods of time before my hand is a mangled mess.  CV controllers cause blisters.  Nintendo controllers make long gaming sessions easy on the hands.

I don't particularly care for Nintendo's original gamepad for the original NES because of its dinky size. Fortunately there were game companies that did make NES pads the right size (and shape) for adult hands, including my favorite, the Turbo Touch 360 with its glideable control pad.

The only system I didn't care for was N64, the controller still gives me fits to this day and I hated all the cutting edge 3-D games. Granted some good ones were N64 originals/exclusives i.e. Smash Bros. and Shadows but all in all it is a system I think the market could have done with out

Yeah the NES controllers are bad, they hurt my thumbs the plastic is

too hard and sharp... but pads are the best! the SNES and Playstation

controllers are fantastic! I don't find joysticks very comfortable for

long play sessions, a game pad fits the natural way our hands rest,

however strudy arcade joysticks beat a handheld any time.

The INTV I hate because it lacks arcade games, bad joysticks

and just too many badly aged sports titles. Other than that there

is nothing else however there are many systems I am indifferent too

and will pass up when I see them.

John

The closest to dislike for me would be the Ps1, Probably because my 1st one overheated and buckled the cd tray. And in all honesty the only games i played (out of several 100 hong kong specials) where FF7, FF9 and micro machines.

I also didnt care for the Megadrive, At the time i also had the Snes that Imho had better games, Better graphics, And secret of Mana

I also didnt care for the Megadrive, At the time i also had the Snes that Imho had better games, Better graphics, And secret of Mana

that´s what i thought about the MegaDrive too, but i recently gave it a try and i´m still surprised: tons of great games and the best thing is: they´re cheap!

Systems i didn´t like when i tryed them:

- every Handheld (small screen, painful joypads, expensive)

- the VirtualBoy (most of the games suck and i hate to have to take Aspirin just to play some more Mario Tennis)

- the N64 (poor controller, blurred and plain graphics, too many childish games, expensive, and hey: there´s a Pokemon edition of this thing... (uargh))

- Xbox (looks like a 10 year olds wet dream, Microsoft, and i don´t like the idea of putting old PC parts together and labelling them as a console)

I should keep a list of these guys saying they don't like the 5200 and the Dreamcast, cuz they're nuts.

The 5200 is a great machine. And playing an emulator doesn't count. True, there's no debate that the stock controllers are bad, but you get a Wico and it's all good.

The Dreamcast is an incredible machine that by its merits could and should still be on the market today. It probably has the highest percentage of good games in its library of any console. While we struggled through the 32-64 bit era for 3D games and the like, it was on the DC that they really began to shine.

And why dislike a system just because it needs its own power adaptor? Referring to the post about the Sega CD. Even on the Jag, the CD attachment needed its own power supply.

So what is it about the Wico joysticks that improves the 5200 so much? I don't think I've seen Wico's 5200-compatible sticks before. Do you have a picture?

Back in the late '80s I had a Tandy computer, and to play games with it I bought a joystick they sold at Radio Shack that actually had a couple of switches on the bottom that allowed you to convert the stick between spring-loaded self-centering and... well... whatever you'd call the 5200's sticks in contrast.

What was cool about it was that it had separate siwtches for the X and Y axis, so theoretically you could have had the Y axis spring-loaded and the X axis loose, for Breakout-type games. (I didn't have any games that actually took advantage of this, but it would've been cool.) I don't know if the stick was digital or analog. But I really liked it!

The only system I really disliked was Colecovision. People used to rave about the games in my neighborhood, especially Donkey Kong, but I was never impressed.

(To be fair, I think Donkey Kong is probably the most overrated game of all time, so even an arcade perfect port wasn't going to impress me.)

But none of the other games seemed interesting either, with one exception, Looping, which I found impossible to play with the Colecovision's horrific controllers! :x The only thing positive thing I can say about them is that didn't break spontaneously, which is the only reason I rate them higher than the 5200 controllers.

--Jason

Well I truly disliked the Xbox -- just shovel ware (except Halo :) ) on the system was my BIG complaint -- so I sold it!

sTeVE

You forgot Splinter Cell... the game is anything else then shovel ware. But I played it on PC :ponder:

The only Consoles I like (because of the great games) are the SNES (AXELAY) and NEO GEO (ANDRO DUNOZ, GAROU).

Regular I would say "I hate all consoles" because the older are no Computers with a KEYBOARD/OS etc. and the newer ones are not truely needed....

So what is it about the Wico joysticks that improves the 5200 so much? I don't think I've seen Wico's 5200-compatible sticks before. Do you have a picture?  

Back in the late '80s I had a Tandy computer, and to play games with it I bought a joystick they sold at Radio Shack that actually had a couple of switches on the bottom that allowed you to convert the stick between spring-loaded self-centering and... well... whatever you'd call the 5200's sticks in contrast.  

What was cool about it was that it had separate siwtches for the X and Y axis, so theoretically you could have had the Y axis spring-loaded and the X axis loose, for Breakout-type games. (I didn't have any games that actually took advantage of this, but it would've been cool.) I don't know if the stick was digital or analog. But I really liked it!

The Wico 5200 controller is just like what you described on the Tandy. It's a self-centering joystick, and it has switches on the bottom to lock or unlock the X and Y axis. There are also slight switches on the sides of the controller to fine tune the X and Y control.

The Wico improves play on the 5200 because it's self-centering and doesn't have the mushy fire buttons - there are two buttons, the secondary is smaller than the main - on top of the controller, kinda in the same place as a fire button on a 2600 controller.

There's also a Y cable, which allows you to hook up a standard 5200 controller so you can use its start-pause-reset buttons and the keypad. Wico also made its own keypad, but its harder to find than the stick itself.

The 5200 is a great machine. And playing an emulator doesn't count.

I actually own a 5200, but I have never really been able to play it since I have yet to find a working controller for it. The closest I came was when I borrowed two controllers and a trackball from a friend of mine, and the start button on the trackball would sometimes work. I don't know if they made the circuitry out of disappearing ink or what, but I couldn't get them to work at all, even after cleaning them as well as I could.

The games are good, and I like what the system can do, but the controllers render mine unusable. :(

...i don´t like the idea of putting old PC parts together and labelling them as a console...

Can I interest you in an Atari XEGS? :D

... or how about a Commodore 64GS?

... actually, I wouldn't mind getting one of those myself :)

--Zero

- Xbox (looks like a 10 year olds wet dream, Microsoft, and i don´t like the idea of putting old PC parts together and labelling them as a console)

Some people like spending $1500 on a PC. I like spending $300 on one. :D

Although I don't dislike any console the one that dissapointed me the most was the N64. Didn't care for the controller and most of the games didn't appeal to me. ( still love Conker's and 1080 though ) :)

Well I truly disliked the Xbox -- just shovel ware (except Halo :) ) on the system was my BIG complaint -- so I sold it!sTeVE

Hehe, Thats funny. I kept the console and got rid of halo. I finished it and for the whole time was waiting for this new era, original impressive game to appear. The scenary was lifeless, the game was short. The original Unreal impressed me more.

Quote:

The Dreamcast is an incredible machine that by its merits could and should still be on the market today. It probably has the highest percentage of good games in its library of any console. While we struggled through the 32-64 bit era for 3D games and the like, it was on the DC that they really began to shine.

I'll drink to that, The DC still rocks very hard and frankly im yet to see a fighting game as impressive as soul calibur, all except for SC2 on the xbox (the other 2 dont count). With a 3rd party pad the DC is awesome.

Console(s) I don't like?

Any console released in the "If it's not 3D, it's not gaming" era...

3D has it's place, but it's c'mon. Only problem? Now the current developers don't seem to know how to write anything without using 3D..

(OK, VIB Ribbon on the PSX looked kual, but that's about it.. :-)

I'm surprised XBox didn't come with 3D Solitaire or something like that...

(Of course, fully texture mapped, z-buffered with fog and blur effects. Glow effects require RADEON 9800 ;^)

I'd rather play any 2D version of PacMan (even the 2600) than another 3D thing...

Splinter Cell?? Who cares.. I want to have a good time playing a fun video game, I'm not training for special ops...

desiv

Heck, when I was young, I had to walk to and from school 10 miles in the snow.. barefoot... uphill.... both ways...

And if there was a TV show on and we weren't home to see it, we MISSED IT!!!

Archived