IGNORED

Mac classic game emulators

I'm looking for some game emulators for the Mac. So far the only ones that I've found and can use are Stella (2600), Jum52 (5200), and MacMess (7800) to varying success. I'm looking for a Vectrex emulator and some ROMs. Any suggestions? :?: arpwell@yahoo.com

I used iNes and Graybox on my iMac (8.5.1) before I GOT A REAL COMPUTER WORKING, and they were both pretty good. No qualms with the emulation. Accurate and perfect speed.

Hmm... if you don't want this computer, send it this way and I'll install OS X Server on it. I need a fileserver :D

:thumbsup:

I just installed OS X Server on my iBook yesterday, even though Apple doesn't officially support that configuration.

Seems to work fine, although it is looking like there's a conflict between OS X Server and Photoshop... Photoshop keeps crashing on startup! :thumbsdown: But hopefully I'll get it to work. I want to use OS X Server on the iBook so I can develop and test web apps, but for that I definitely need Photoshop too!

(I know Apache, PHP, MySQL, whathaveyou all runs on the regular OS X but I wanted some of Server's admin tools to make things a little smoother.)

"Replace the motherboard" is not a phrase heard often in the Mac world.

Are you sure you're not just talking about a processor upgrade?

I agree with your point though... despite what Apple may say, that iMac was not built to run OS X.

My wife has a second-generation "graphite" colored iBook with a 466 MHz G3 in it, and 192 MB of RAM, and I wouldn't even THINK of installing OS X on it. (OK, I did think of it... but fortunately I thought better before I got started. The thing would definitely need more RAM, at the very least.)

I do have OS X Server running on my 500 MHz G3 iBook with 384 MB of RAM and it may be a tad sluggish, but it's certainly usable. And while it may be slower than my Windows 2000 PC at work, that beast has a slew of frustrations all its own... and most of those involve kludgy interface design, not hardware limitations!

My greatest current frustration: The "X" button in the upper right corner of each window, which closes the application. Using Visual InterDev (the suckiest suck that ever sucked), it becomes particularly frustrating, because the close button for the DOCUMENT is directly under the close button for the APPLICATION and frequently in my haste I will click the APPLICATION button instead of the DOCUMENT button and shut the whole damn app down! :mad:

"Wait," you may be saying to me in your head, "why don't you just press Ctrl-W instead of clicking the stupid button?"

Well I WOULD do that, except in Visual InterDev, Ctrl-W doesn't close the current window!

"Replace the motherboard" is not a phrase heard often in the Mac world.[/i]

yeah, "Throw it away and buy the new color" is, though.

:lol:

Actually, it's more like "Sell it on eBay for more than you paid for it and use the funds to buy the latest incarnation, which will become obsolete somewhere between you clicking the 'Buy' button and Airborne Express arriving at your door."

as ive said, ive got Jaguar running on a first generation 300MHz ibook. I didnt do a full install since it only has a 3GB hard drive, but unlike 10.1, Jag runs like a dream on that machine (i also recommend not bothering with OS9)

i also have a 233MHz bondi blue iMac, and while i dont use that machine much, jag seems to run just fine on that machine as well (256MB of RAM), as stated before, memory is the biggest drawback of OSX, but with memory prices where they are, there is little excuse not to get more if you plan on giving the machine heavy use.

:thumbsup:

I just installed OS X Server on my iBook yesterday, even though Apple doesn't officially support that configuration.

Seems to work fine, although it is looking like there's a conflict between OS X Server and Photoshop... Photoshop keeps crashing on startup! :thumbsdown: But hopefully I'll get it to work.  I want to use OS X Server on the iBook so I can develop and test web apps, but for that I definitely need Photoshop too!

(I know Apache, PHP, MySQL, whathaveyou all runs on the regular OS X but I wanted some of Server's admin tools to make things a little smoother.)

Heh.. I'm not going to even *try* to install OSX Server on my iBook. I've got an older "Blueberry" one, 300Mhz (it's slow, but it was *free* .. and it runs OS X just fine). Maybe when I get a new PPC970, I'll use this G4 for a server :D

Brian

Archived