IGNORED

Participating in Extra Life playing Inty, with Inty raffle prizes

CharonPDX

In a couple weeks is the annual Extra Life event, raising money for children's hospital around the world. Here in the Pacific Northwest, fans of the local MLS soccer teams (Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers) will be gathering in person in Seattle to play games for 25 hours (noon to noon on the day Daylight Saving Time ends, so bonus hour.) This group goes by the name Cascadian Gamers (after the "Cascadia" region, which encompasses the Pacific Northwest.) Not only will they be raising money for charity (the three children's hospitals in the three cities,) as a group, putting aside the sports-supporter rivalry that usually exists between the groups, but many people have made donations to use as raffle prizes during the event.

I wasn't really planning on participating, but my kid wanted to, and the organizers were only willing to let a teenager join if the parent (me) came with. So I'll be at the event for the 25 hours. Originally I was planning on just doing "behind the scenes" work (helping with the raffle, troubleshooting the actual player's issues, getting food, etc.) But since we don't need tons of people doing that the whole time, I figure I'll stream Intellivision when I'm not doing the behind the scenes work. Because it seems the most appropriate, I will be streaming Desert Bus (with a twist to be announced right beforehand, thanks Gary!) for the first part.

I also have donated a few items to the raffle, as two 'Intellivision retro game lots':

post-63701-0-46349900-1540317478_thumb.jpg

post-63701-0-74476200-1540317500_thumb.jpg

There are also many, MANY incredible prizes in the raffle pool. Last year, Microsoft donated an Xbox One X - that the winner got to pick up at Microsoft headquarters the day before it released to the general public! Lots of modern video game stuff, lots of items from the MLS soccer teams (signed jerseys, etc.) and plenty of non-game/non-soccer prizes, too. There are two tiers of raffle entries, $10 and $50, with the bigger prizes obviously being in the $50 tier. There are also 'categories' you can enter. So if you have no interest in the soccer stuff, you can enter for non-soccer stuff. If you *ONLY* want video game stuff, you can enter just that.

if anyone has any items they want to donate to the raffle, I'd appreciate it. My donation fo those two lots created a new "retro gaming" category of prizes. A couple other people will be donating some retro game stuff, but more is better! I don't think raffle item donations are tax deductible - while "Extra Life" monetary donations (to enter the contest) are, because the raffle is technically being done by the Cascadia Gamers group, rather than Extra Life itself, and Cascadia Gamers is not a registered nonprofit, just an informal name of the group of people doing this.

And if you want to enter the raffle, while I did create an Extra Life page just to track my streaming, it's not linked to the Cascadia Gamers group. Donate to anyone in that group ( http://cascadiangamers.com ) and you'll be entered. (My kid is "Atticus Darknight" if you wanted to donate through his page.)

I'll post a link to my streaming of Intellivision on the day of the event (Saturday, November 3rd at noon Pacific.) I need to get my Twitch account all set up so I can stream it properly.

• Like 5

Alright, created my own Extra Life page, too. https://www.extra-life.org/participant/335072

Because Extra Life's signup process can be flaky at times, I'm not officially joined to the team that is holding the raffle - so if you want to enter the raffle, donate to my kid instead: Atticus Darknight. (I've emailed Extra Life support to get them to fix why I can't join the team I have an invite to join, so donations to me *SHOULD* count toward them team I'm on - I can't guarantee it at this point, since they might not fix it before the event.)

Hmm... The link is busted if you click on it, but copy/paste works.

Also - your page says to go to another one to actually make a donation to be entered into a raffle?

Hey, how about donating to both? Counting Rick's, all three!

That is odd. I copy/pasted it as just text, and the forum turned it into a link - apparently adding a couple extra characters on the end of the link that aren't in the text.

Here, let's try that again, manually creating the link: https://www.extra-life.org/participant/335072

And, yes, because Extra Life is flaky, I'm not listed as being on the team that is holding the raffle, so donating to me might not get you entered in to the raffle. If Extra Life fixes me in time, it will count. Appreciate any/all support to anyone, of course!

Hey! Extra Life added me to the team - if you feel like donating to me rather than my kid, you can do so and be in the raffle: https://www.extra-life.org/participant/335072

Make sure in the donation entry to let me know if you want to be in the "modern gaming" category (default yes,) the tabletop RPG category (default no,) the retro gaming category (default no,) and if you're a soccer fan of Portland, Seattle or Vancouver, which city. Also, if you donate more than $10, how much of your donation should go to: $10 general raffle, $50 general raffle, $25 tattoo raffle ($250 gift card to a local tattoo artist, you'd have to come to Portland for that,) or $11.38 Star Wars Mandalorian helmet raffle.

The full prize list will be posted to the main Cascadian Gamers page later tonight. (Minus a few surprise prizes to be revealed during the live stream.)

Big thanks to @DZ-Jay and @Freewheel for providing customized versions of their games Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost of Christmas Presents and Desert Bus for me to play at this event! You two kick ass!

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 10.40.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.06.06 AM.png

I blame Freewheel. If he hadn't done it for Desert Bus, it wouldn't have occurred to me to do it for Carol. I was just a copy-cat. :grin:

Still, Carol Greenleaf, Santa, and the whole crew up in the North Pole, approve and support you on your effort for the cause! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

MY CONTROLLER BROKE AN HOUR AND A HALF IN!

I'm being towed back to the beginning. I'm letting donations decide when I start over - do I wait the full (now ~50 more minutes) to be towed back and start from there, or do I just hit reset on the console and start over immediately?

Donate at http://bit.ly/CGELEd18and state your preference. If "reset now" gets a $50 donation, I'll stop by "don't have to mash the top action button" break and reset and start over immediately.

Alright, now that I've had a couple days of full sleep to process...

Thanks all that donated, tuned in, or helped out in any way! Particular thanks to FWgames and DZ-Jay for providing customized versions of their games for me to play!

I didn't raise a lot of money, only $185, which was okay, since I wasn't really planning on raising money anyway. But my did great and raised $515, exceeding his original $250 goal by double and then some! And the team I was on, Cascadian Gamers, raised over $73,000 among 40 active members. Members of our team were among the top 10 fundraisers for BC Children's Hospital, Seattle Children's Hospital, and Portland's Doernbecher Children's Hospital.

Sadly, nobody who donated through me won any of the raffle prizes, but a few who donated through my kid did. (My kid received a couple donations that were obviously from AtariAge users that did not include enough contact info to enter in to the raffle - thank you for the donations, though!)

Streaming Intellivision games was fun, and other than a couple "just testing streaming" previous, this was my first "real" attempt at streaming gameplay. Next year, I think I'll try to go for the full 24/25 hour streaming, rather than the haphazard streaming mixed with doing behind the scenes work. (Among other duties, I labeled every single raffle prize so we could track them better - we're developing a better system for tracking the raffle prizes for next year.)

I managed to get about an hour and a half in to Desert Bus before my controller's top side buttons stopped working, causing the bus to stop and get towed back to the beginning. I have since taken that controller apart and cleaned the contacts for the buttons. I managed to make it to level 3 in Christmas Carol - that game is harder than I expected!

Alright, now that I've had a couple days of full sleep to process...

Thanks all that donated, tuned in, or helped out in any way! Particular thanks to FWgames and DZ-Jay for providing customized versions of their games for me to play!

I didn't raise a lot of money, only $185, which was okay, since I wasn't really planning on raising money anyway. But my did great and raised $515, exceeding his original $250 goal by double and then some! And the team I was on, Cascadian Gamers, raised over $73,000 among 40 active members. Members of our team were among the top 10 fundraisers for BC Children's Hospital, Seattle Children's Hospital, and Portland's Doernbecher Children's Hospital.

Sadly, nobody who donated through me won any of the raffle prizes, but a few who donated through my kid did. (My kid received a couple donations that were obviously from AtariAge users that did not include enough contact info to enter in to the raffle - thank you for the donations, though!)

Streaming Intellivision games was fun, and other than a couple "just testing streaming" previous, this was my first "real" attempt at streaming gameplay. Next year, I think I'll try to go for the full 24/25 hour streaming, rather than the haphazard streaming mixed with doing behind the scenes work. (Among other duties, I labeled every single raffle prize so we could track them better - we're developing a better system for tracking the raffle prizes for next year.)

That's great! Thank you for doing the fundraiser for such a good cause.

I managed to get about an hour and a half in to Desert Bus before my controller's top side buttons stopped working, causing the bus to stop and get towed back to the beginning. I have since taken that controller apart and cleaned the contacts for the buttons. I managed to make it to level 3 in Christmas Carol - that game is harder than I expected!

Nah! It's not really that hard, you just need to learn a few of the tricks:

Every stage has a simple strategy for success. Then, you also have the Practice Menu to try out each level individually. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Also: Many places of work offer company match opportunities for donations like this. If you're at such a place, take advantage of this and double your goodness!

<scurrying off to instigate the company match process/>

Yep. My wife's company does donation matching, mine doesn't. So we made sure all our donations were in her name not mine.