IGNORED

The most expensive game you've ever bought..

Video

This could be anything, but due to open ended nature, I'll post in classic general.

What's the most expensive game you've ever bought? It could be a kick ass arcade, an uber rare game, or some freebie you oopsed on and bought a grand in dlc on. What's your story?

I've had a few over the years. Star fox was hella expensive, I bought mine used and still paid $100 for it (it was $120+ at launch iirc) no regrets there, and it's impressive for its time and a lot of fun with its multiple paths. Always was bummed the sequel never legitimately came out.

Second would be lemmings for lynx. I could have gotten it cheaper if I'd bought used, but it was new in the late 90's. I love lemmings, and unlike the other handhelds, it had 40 (I believe) lemmings instead of 10 like gg or gb. This was THE reason I got my lynx, so you could conceivably add the $40 price tag for that system to the total.

But, the most expensive game I bought, believe it or not, is likely Minecraft. Yes, it's a $20 title, BUT, I've gotten it for damn near everything. Mobile at $6, fire tv at $20 (why? Mobile was supposed to work on that) ps3, ps4, 360, and Xbox one at $20 each. Xbox one again when bedrock came out $30 Wii u I think was $30, as was the 3ds version, and I just got the switch version for another $30. I really need to stop getting switch games, or get a switch LOL. So that makes this one game $226, not counting a few extra dlc carp I've gotten. Don't get me started on figures and lego....I may need help :P

Anyhow, for me a lot, but I bet some of you guys will put that petty amount to shame.

As we are only up to $100 or so, I paid $225 for ViewPoint for the NeoGeo AES back in the 90's. Right now it's worth about $700-$800. I guess not a bad investment.

They were discontinuing it at the time and I had to have it.

Buying a Xbox One game for $60 and getting the season pass for another $60 is also not uncommon for me ($120)

• Like 1

I honestly don't know that I've ever paid more than original retail for a game. Most of my TurboGrafx and Saturn collection were bought before prices on those systems started going up. (I admit I don't have very many games for either system, but the games for both those systems have skyrocketed lately.) Most recent TG game I got was a card only copy of Ninja Spirit for $20. Don't remember the last time I got a Saturn game. Most expensive retro game in recent memory is Contra for the NES that I got about two years ago for $35. I paid $35 for Raiden on the Jaguar (cart only) but the seller threw in a Dreamcast game I was looking at for free, so that kinda makes it seem like I paid less.

I guess most expensive game would probably be one like your Minecraft... a game that I bought a lot of DLC for... Forza Motorsport 4. I have no idea how much I bought for it now, but I know I got the game, then the season pass, then several car packs once the season pass stopped.

Or... since I pretty much bought an Xbox One just to play Fallout 4, you could maybe count that one. I've also since bought an expansion (can't remember the name, but it's the one with the Cape Cod kinda feel... with the island covered in fog or whatever...).

Edited by Eltigro

If we are including add-ons, The Pinball Arcade on the PS3 trumps everything for me. I purchased every season pack available, with the only regret being the last two seasons (due to me not playing them too much). I'll tell you though, those first 3-4 seasons got their moneys worth out of me. Some of the most enjoyable gaming moments in my lifetime came on this game.

As for a physical release, I'm sure at some point I regretfully dropped $50 on some goofy sports title when I was in my early 20's (sigh).

As we are only up to $100 or so, I paid $225 for ViewPoint for the NeoGeo AES back in the 90's. Right now it's worth about $700-$800. I guess not a bad investment.

They were discontinuing it at the time and I had to have it.

Buying a Xbox One game for $60 and getting the season pass for another $60 is also not uncommon for me ($120)

Ive been tossing around the idea of selling my AES Viewpoint lately. Its shot up quite a bit over the last few years. Id sell it and use that money to buy a AES flashcart.

Phantasy Star (SMS), Street Fighter 2 (SNES), and Virtua Racing (Genesis) if I recall I paid $99 for each of them, and for SF2 that's only because the place I got it from was price gouging. :lol:

Else that's about it really.. of course modern games $60 retail is not unusual anymore, so it's not too far off.

Ive been tossing around the idea of selling my AES Viewpoint lately. Its shot up quite a bit over the last few years. Id sell it and use that money to buy a AES flashcart.

Just remember. If you sell it, odds are you will never get another one. It's one of the reasons why I WONT sell it. I'll have to look into a AES flashcart. Thanks !

Phantasy Star (SMS), Street Fighter 2 (SNES), and Virtua Racing (Genesis) if I recall I paid $99 for each of them, and for SF2 that's only because the place I got it from was price gouging. :lol:

Else that's about it really.. of course modern games $60 retail is not unusual anymore, so it's not too far off.

Phantasy Star (SMS) one of the top 5 favorite games of mine of all time. My original cart from release, I plugged it in the other day and it still had my save games from the 90's ! Talk about a long lasting battery. I even have the Tips from Sega. Back in the 90's if you called Sega for "game support" they would send you a printed walkthrough. I have these for a few Sega games... talk about rare.

I wish I could find a repo label for it, one of the kids back in the 90s pealed off the label so it's a black cart :(

For classic games, I bought a lot of them new at $49.99 back in the late 80's-onward, but I don't recall paying more than that. I do remember laughing at the price tags of certain games ($99.99 for Phantasy Star IV and Virtua Racing on the Genesis? Seriously?) but I waited and picked them up for cheap on clearance. That said, I'll limit myself to after I started collecting, which is roughly Y2K-onward.

Most expensive classic game? Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Paid $49.99 about 8 years ago loose, and I thought I was getting ripped off. That's a great price today.

Most expensive modern game? Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for $59.99. It was the reason I bought the Switch.

$95 for a complete copy of Castlevania: Chronicles for the PlayStation, which was a birthday present for the misses. I've never spent more than $60 on a game for myself, though I may end up caving in and getting a copy of Dokapon Kingdom for the Wii next year and that'll probably run me around $100.

Probably Radiant SIlvergun for the Saturn, but I got a helluva deal because there was the tiniest bit of water damage to the booklet. It was under 150, but I don't recall exactly what I paid. Probably 130-ish. I generally wouldn't spend that much on a game, but it was a bit of a grail for me.

The most I've ever paid for a game, at $120, is actually a fake.

So Ironclad Brikinger never came out on MVS, since it was an NGCD exclusive, maybe it didn't playtest well, or something.

After many years, SNK eventually released the non-cd version on wii virtual console, where fans extracted the rom and produced a limited cart run.

Since I missed out on that, the game I paid the most for is actually a knockoff, of the "repro," of the $10 wii download.

#Boots4Eva

ccTh69wm.jpg

I guess I also paid $465 for a puzzle bobble arcade machine, but honestly, that plan was never about playing puzzle bobble.

Edited by Reaperman

Kind of a strange one for me because I view things as sold to get/traded out and then directly out of pocket.

I ended up getting a home use only Pin-Bot for $1500 to top the list, but it cost me just 10 NES/SNES games to do it, so effectively nothing. Second to that would be the NeoGeo 2 slot with 10 games and a few kit bits for $500+Dragon Warrior 4 w/the english guide. Down from there goes into Neo Geo carts, the most being I think Super Dodgeball kit contents but no original box in a shockbox. The Neo-Geo is the most I've put into a game, but all of it had been trades and sell to buy so it was effectively all free outside of my time involved.

But it all kind of feels like a cheat since they're not just home video games.

Out of pocket though I think would be $65 for Street Fighter II SNES, perhaps the maybe $70 to import (I think it was new) complete copy of SDF Macross for Super Famicom in the mid 90s.

I guess in my area I was lucky as the stores never really ripped people off on almost any game, they were all $50 and less. There were rare cases like SF2 since Capcom decided to railroad arcade fans. The N64 had games at $60-70 for licensed arcade stuff they found could be abused too (KI Gold and MK Trilogy) but they weren't normal there.

The most I ever coughed up on a single game was about $100 for Video Whizball for the Channel F. There are probably a couple dozen others that I've spent $50-80 on, apiece, but I usually don't get into that range (or higher) unless it's hardware. I'm a cheap bastard.

My most expensive classic gaming/computer purchase in general was my Commodore PET 2001, hands down. Even for as much as it cost me (I'd rather not say, thank you), it was still an amazing deal...especially since it was local and didn't have to ship!

I've had a few over the years. Star fox was hella expensive, I bought mine used and still paid $100 for it (it was $120+ at launch iirc) no regrets there, and it's impressive for its time and a lot of fun with its multiple paths.

$100? For Star Fox?! Am I missing something here? That's a $15 cart.

The most I ever coughed up on a single game was about $100 for Video Whizball for the Channel F. There are probably a couple dozen others that I've spent $50-80 on, apiece, but I usually don't get into that range (or higher) unless it's hardware. I'm a cheap bastard.

My most expensive classic gaming/computer purchase in general was my Commodore PET 2001, hands down. Even for as much as it cost me (I'd rather not say, thank you), it was still an amazing deal...especially since it was local and didn't have to ship!

Is Video in Canada? Those look like Canadian prices.

See.. what are we talking about. Used/secondary market? Or when it was hot and fresh (and still mind blowing). Hot and fresh it was like $50 or something.

Sounds like a lot of you don't really go for retail games? I guess I've always bought retail.. .ever since the VCS days up to now. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play Demon Attack, Contra, Ghouls & Ghosts on Genesis, Blazing Lazers, Starfox, Mario 64, on up to today Black Ops 4 without going crazy :lol:

Granted.. sometimes that helps (although obviously not often). When I bought Radiant Silvergun when it was hot and fresh it was in the $60 range. :P

Edited by NE146

Hmmmmm...."collector style", I've paid $80+ for a few Turbografx games. Dead Moon, Cadash. Maybe a few others.

"New game" style....Company of Heroes has probably gotten me for $100+ via various expansion packs etc.

Interesting thing to think about might be: how much have you spent on one game you've bought on multiple consoles? For instance, I've bought Joust for Atari XE, Atari 7800, Atari 2600, Colecovision (paid a bit for his one), and NES. Oh and for the 5200! Has to add up to something though I have no way to know how much now.

Quite a few things qualify on this for me:

- Most I've paid for a single game was $250 for Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn about 2 years ago. But it is the Hikaru version and has all the stickers and generally in great shape. In that same deal I also received new copies of the JPN Saturn release and GG versions of the game so to me it seemed like a good deal and I really only paid like $200 for the US Saturn version...hehe.

- Most I've paid for any classic gaming item in general is my cocktail cabinet Galaga that I paid $400 for. But it is all original and works great! Needs a new glass top and the wood is beat up good on the bottom but still a good deal I felt. Low SN# unit too #744

- Most I've paid for anything modern was when I got my physical copy of Rez Infinite for the PS4 from Iam8bit about a year or so ago. I only paid like $20 for the game, but I still needed the system to play it on. So two days after getting the game I finally pulled the trigger on a PS4 Pro and a 1tb SSD to stick in it. So $20+$399+$150 = $539 + tax...

- Most I spent for a classic console would be my Jpn TurboDuo I got at CGE 2010 that set me back $250.

Not sure this is a thread any of us should be proud to participate in honestly....

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

At retail, it was probably Zaxxon for the Colecovision (actually, it was my parents who bought it). I *think* it was $79.99. What I do distinctly remember was that it was $10 more than the other CV titles.

I've paid more for a CV homebrew from the publisher.

It's difficult to recall a single game I bought on the secondary market, new or used, that was much more than $100 or so, although I'm pretty sure I have done so.