IGNORED

P-Box TIPI and 3D printer product poll.

Omega-TI

Product Interest Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in having a 3D printed case for your P-Box TIPI Card?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You bet!

Me too. I seem to remember reading somewhere (a long long time ago) that the way the holes in the P-Box work in conjunction with the holes in the cases that it helps keep the cards running cooler. I doubt the TIPI and the RPi get hot enough to make it a concern, but if it helps, why not?

I look forward to the case and getting my tipi!

I'm not sure the case will ever come to fruition. The one guy I know that does the most excellent work, might not be willing to devote all the time and effort to make something that may not sell well. As of this posting, it's 50%/50%, which in a community as small as ours = not worth the effort.

I don't plan the get the TIPI for my PEB. I already bought the sidecar version and I no longer use the PEB. I do however have a couple of 3D printers and could consider designing a case and making them for the few people that may be interested.

I have been planning to design and print my own case that would enclose the 32K sidecar, TIPI , Raspberry Pi and OLED screen all in one unit. Kind of like a mini PEB. The ones available are nice, but not exactly what I want. That little project has been on the back burner due to real life demanding too much of my hobby time. :(

Edited by broettger
  • Like 2

I voted yes, but it would need to be a case that completely encompasses the PI as well as I have my PI mounted on the TIPI card.

Just a question, this would be a pretty large 3D object. Are we looking at 100$ or more for this case?

Beery

The only reason a case would cost that much is seller markup. The material costs are probably < $5

The only reason a case would cost that much is seller markup. The material costs are probably < $5

Those printers are not cheap, so I think allowing some for wear and tear is appropriate.

Factor in the time to create and perfect a design, which can take numerous test prints and you have a fair amount of time and money invested.

When you take the above into account with a fairly small customer base, these guys are doing this more as a labor of love I cannot expect anyone to devote so much time and effort for nothing.

In the end, whatever the price of the finished product, it has to be something the consumer is willing to pay, so it's a gamble on the creators side.

That pesky electricity to run a heater and printer for 15 to 20 hour prints is free I guess. Plus the investment in a good printer. Plus design time and materials

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying that someone should not try to recover some of their non material costs if they decide to make and sell something. My point was that as a hobbiest with two 3D printers, that I would not mark something up over $95 when sharing the results of my hobby with a small group of people who are also in this as a hobby.

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying that someone should not try to recover some of their non material costs if they decide to make and sell something. My point was that as a hobbiest with two 3D printers, that I would not mark something up over $95 when sharing the results of my hobby with a small group of people who are also in this as a hobby.

yep I've found that if it costs more than $25 you won't ever sell any anyway .. unless you are that guy with the fancy grey and black boxes in Canada icon_smile.gif I recently designed & printed a very nice 6 cart tray that can be mounted to the wall, but it takes 17hrs to print.. and about 5$ in plastic..so is it really worth trying to sell.. probably not. i may print myself 10 of them for my wall tho..

post-25598-0-87368600-1540688976_thumb.jpg

Greg

• Like 1

I recently designed & printed a very nice 6 cart tray that can be mounted to the wall, but it takes 17hrs to print.. and about 5$ in plastic..so is it really worth trying to sell.. probably not.

Hey, don't be so quick! Show me a photo of what it looks like with TI cartridges in it and tell me what the selling price is. I'm interested!

Me too. I seem to remember reading somewhere (a long long time ago) that the way the holes in the P-Box work in conjunction with the holes in the cases that it helps keep the cards running cooler. I doubt the TIPI and the RPi get hot enough to make it a concern, but if it helps, why not?

If I recall correctly, they provide heat management both by ducting air across the card AND by working as heatsinks for the hotter components.

Not that any part of the TIPI will run near as hot as the classic boards did, except possibly the Pi CPU(which will reduce speed to maintain a safe temperature, because it is the twenty-first century). My impression is that the assembly is low-power enough for any case to be purely cosmetic.

Arcadeshopper: You know, it is a funny coincidence, but I was thinking just last night about how best to make something like that.

I was tending towards a block of wood and a chisel, because 3D printers are expensive.