IGNORED

Could you put Pokey in a 2600 cartridge?

IceCold

I was just wondering if you could put the pokey sound chip in a 2600 game, just like you can on 7800 games. Is this possible, or is the hardware(or address lines or whatever) different? I bet Paul Slocum could make even better music on the 2600 if he could use a Pokey... 8)

You might be able to physically put it in, but since the 2600 cartridge bus is only address & data lines, there wouldn't be anywhere for the audio to go unless the cart also had a small amplifier and a jack for external speakers/headphones.

The 7800 cartridge bus has an audio in connection, which makes POKEY enhanced carts possible.

You might be able to physically put it in, but since the 2600 cartridge bus is only address & data lines, there wouldn't be anywhere for the audio to go unless the cart also had a small amplifier and a jack for external speakers/headphones.

The 7800 cartridge bus has an audio in connection, which makes POKEY enhanced carts possible.

Okay, thank you for the answer. I figured that was the case(since nobody has done it), but I thought I would ask.

Archived