IGNORED

Calling the masters of TI automation... ;)

Omega-TI

Hey buddy,

I have a question for you to ponder (when you have time). Seeing that the P-Box version of the TIPI stays on and active 24/7, I thought, "What if?"

First, before I ask you the question, it would be assumed that Matt & Corey would 'add a function to the TIPI' before this could work. That function would be to take a status poll on a regular basis, say once an hour and if the result is positive, send a signal to a USB port.

Okay Vorticon, now for your part! ;)

How would you take a signal from a USB port and process it to turn on three devices in sequence?

You might be wondering what am I talking about. Well, here is an example... say you have a Chatti message, once the TIPI knows you have one waiting, it sends a usable signal to a device plugged into the RPi USB port. The item plugged into the USB port would have to take the signal and then turn on three separate items in sequence, the P-Box, the TI console and then the monitor.

Of course a gadget like this could be used for other items as well, and there might have to be an auto-shut off worked into the thing after a pre-determined length of time, but I'm curious on what you think the best method would be.

What about these << INEXPENSIVE WiFi OUTLETS >>?

Getting the RPI to do the task would be the hardest part. I could also imagine a TI based control program too.

The day's of X10 have pretty much come and gone, this SEEMS like a viable modern day alternative that would enable us to use our TI's is so many new, exciting and fun ways.

A cordless solution!

Nothing for the TIPI/RPi may ever develop, but the outlets are cheap, so decided to pop for a couple since they appear kinda neat and it'll be fun to experiment with them.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to automate and switch batch file configurations for 4A/DOS. Maybe a batch file that renames a couple of batch files, and another batch file that reverses the process? This way I could set it up to automatically load Chatti on powerup... but if I did that, I'd have to figure out a way to swap it back to the normal batch file (selection screen) if I wanted. Arrgh...

This video is a little weird and quirky, but it has some info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59qlZ3OAWA

But with a different APP, tinkerers might find this interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRCH67wfwNE

They actually still make X10 modules, and this is a task that is well-suited to their simplicity. It is also a well-documented and easy-to-implement protocol that isn't dependent on a remote server controlled by someone else.

I wouldn't build a full smart home with X10, but for a simple remote power switch, there's a compelling case to be made.

I'd use two appliance modules, one dedicated to the P-Box and the other connected to a short power strip so the console and monitor can be on one module.

As a bonus... *puts on mad scientist hat*...

With X10 having RS-232 interfaces available, you don't need any TIPI updates. You could have a master TI running without a display monitoring CHATTI, and when it sees a message, it could hit the RS-232 card/sidecar to send out X10 commands to turn on the slave system's PBox, then a second later send the command turn on the slave's console and monitor. One TI turning on another remotely, the way absolutely no one ever intended.

And then when you're done, you can have the TI you're using send out commands to turn off the same X10 modules, "killing" itself until the next time... if you're lucky, and the timing works out right.

All this done by a real mainframe-grade processor, instead of letting some silly ARM toy designed for cellphones take over the show.

*takes off mad scientist hat*

There IS an X10 wifi module now, but... it doesn't really look like a good option.

Edited by JB

What the hell is it with FAILURE TO ALLOW WIFI FROM COMPUTERS?

I mean I do not own a Smart or Mobile Phone as I am Retired, I need a Smartphone like I need a 5th leg.

I tried to get a WIFI Home Thermostat and guess what they only work with PHONES?

I actually sent a message to Honeywell asking why they ignored 99% of Uses that have a Computer but no phone?

That is one hell of a lot of customers being ignored? Who is the moron that runs Honeywell?????

Anyway this device has the same issue and only works with Android....like Computers that run 99.9999% of internet do not exist?

Edited by RXB

Hi JB,

I've always tended to lean more towards simplicity (for the user) and a low price point, which usually affords for a larger user pool. Lately I've also been on a cord reduction quest and WiFi certainly leads to cost reduction and fewer cords.

I still use X10 in my home, all for lighting. I would have liked to control a few other things, but those appliance modules seem to have issues with wall warts. I've also tried to get the Firecracker module to work with the TI in the past, to no avail.

TIPI has hinted a the possibility of becoming the TI's "Swiss Army Knife", we'll see what happens as it matures.

I mean I do not own a Smart or Mobile Phone as I am Retired, I need a Smartphone like I need a 5th leg.

I tried to get a WIFI Home Thermostat and guess what they only work with PHONES?

I actually sent a message to Honeywell asking why they ignored 99% of Uses that have a Computer but no phone?

That is one hell of a lot of customers being ignored? Who is the moron that runs Honeywell?????

Anyway this device has the same issue and only works with Android....like Computers that run 99.9999% of internet do not exist?

Being that corporations have a duty to their stock holders, the target demographic is usually the largest (most profitable). It's hard to justify spending millions to develop something that may never give a reasonable return on investment.

Now from one POINT OF VIEW, I'm not sure I'd "need" to control my thermostat from my home computer, I'd just get my big butt out of my chair and adjust it manually, HOWEVER controlling it while I'm away makes sense on a cellphone which most people have anyway.

So, this begs the question... Who's going to write a cellphone emulator for Windows? ;)

I have been known to dabble in "automation... ;)" from time to time myself. If I might be so bold... Though I do appreciate the many reasons for "auto-sequence start". I imagine you might be able to ahh... "when all is ready... I throw this switch!" instead... Or with an electrical box, wire up something with spade connectors. Like...

6c09a5d0054bf0ed.jpg

M@'s site mentions a CHATTI upgrade... I don't think you'll get far until you can get that message waiting signal... probably simple if you know PYTHON(I don't) or are intimately familiar with TIPI/CHATTI. Sounds like an RPI I\O PIN would serve well. perhaps a tiny wireless remote set would simplify connecting the two.

88988.02-1.jpg

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION

So, this begs the question... Who's going to write a cellphone emulator for Windows? ;)

Already exists. I used a Windows Mobile emulator way back when to show off what Windows Mobile could do for customers (already obsolete, obvs,) but also qemu does some damn amazing stuff. Including running Android.

• Like 3

you can load up a phone emu on your pc.. google android emulator

Yea tried that and it was both painful and zero documentation, again written by people that do hardware and do not explain how it works or how to load and run it.

Got the Android emulator for Windows 10 and spent 3 days trying to get it to work....no luck. Documentation is almost useless.

LOL said it can not talk to the WIFI device but sees every other WIFI device EXCEPT THE ONLY ANDROID DEVICE I OWN? (Yea it sucks that much!)

While it would be nice, I have serious doubts that a program will even be made for the TI/TIPI that works with these WiFi outlets.

First the program would have to be analysed to figure out how it communicates with the server, and they might not take too kindly to hobbyist applications using their network.

There is of course the pass code for the account and you must provide your WiFi password for the devices to work, although I do not know if that information stays isolated or if it's shared with the servers.

Since the TI/TIPI/RPi resides in your home, it might be possible to do an end-run around the need to use their network and access it directly, but someone would need to do a lot of packet sniffing to decode all the felgercarb.

Yea could not get it to see the only Android device in house? LOL what a piece of junk software.

Netgear Router could see the Android Thermostat but could not get it to communicate.

HP Desktop and Laptop could see the Android Thermostat but could not get it to communicate.

I mean what a bunch of idiots make a device WIFI and only a Android Phone can talk to it?

Oh unless you have a Apple Phone and load a special app to do that. (same app will not work on Mac Pro Tower????)

But no PC version app? (What a bunch of morons.)

Edited by RXB

You did say 3...

CPS UNIVERSAL AC POWER SWITCH (U-X3)

Local Serial Port Control (USB or RS-232)

Ring Count RESET Trigger

Internal Touch-Tone Control Option

Remote Access Controllers (TCP/IP)

Eliminate Wrong Numbers that may Hang Your System

Change Configuration Preferences

Daisy Chain up to 10 Units (150 amps)

Select AC Outlets Individually

Compatible with CPS Auto Reboot software

Standard IEC320 AC connectors

15 Amp breaker

WHAT IS IT?
The U-X3 is an economical, but extremely flexible AC power control device that can be used to control the AC power to three different devices. Up to ten U-X3s can also be daisy chained together to control up to thirty devices. They can be located up 2000' apart, cumulative.

The U-X3 supports input AC voltages from 110V to 250V and has a 15 Amp circuit breaker. It uses internationally standard IEC320 AC connectors. This combination allows it to be used anywhere in the world with locally available power cords. Various AC power cords as well as a Universal Adapter that provides connections for any type of AC Plug in the world are also optionally available. It is also available with standard North American AC Connectors.

The U-X3 provides a number of methods to control it, allowing it to be used locally or remotely for a number of different applications; from simply resetting DSL modem/routers to automatically resetting kiosks or other equipment that may hang from time to time. Or even to turn the power ON or OFF on certain equipment for protection, security or simply to add a little green to the environment.

THE HARDWARE
The back panel has one Input IEC320-C13 AC Jack and three "Controlled" international IEC320-C14 or North American NEMA 5-15 Output AC jacks.

The front panel supports three multi-function connectors. A USB connector and two RJ-11 connectors, any of which can be used to configure the unit or to send the ON/OFF/RESET power control commands, depending on the application. The RJ-11s provide the connection for a standard telephone line for remote control. They are also used for the RS-232 and Upstream Downstream connections as well as to connect other external CPS controllers or Base Units.

SETUP PREFERENCES
The operating parameters can also be changed to meet various requirements. The port delay times, reset delay time, power ON delay, power up state, ring count etc... These preferences are normally entered through the USB or serial ports with simple ASCII commands from a PC.

Example:
*0S1 would change the AC outlet separation ON time delay to 1 min.
*PR2 would change the OFF time for a RESET to 20 seconds.

See instructions for a complete list. Once the setup preferences are defined, any ON/OFF/RESET command or manual power ON/OFF will be executed accordingly. You can also make inquires as to the setup preferences. They are confirmed by local on screen replies or audible "beeps" over the phone line.

HOW IT CAN BE CONTROLLED?
Local Control is provided through a USB port or the Serial/TelCo port (adapter required). The local PC can send simple ON/OFF/RESET Commands to the desired AC Jacks on a single unit or all of the units in a daisy chain. See Command Examples below.

Remote Control over a standard telephone line is provided through the Ring Count RESET feature (standard). This feature simply counts the rings and RESETS once the ring threshold is reached.

The Internal Touch Tone Option (ITTO) is also available. It provides a multi-level password and allows the ON/OFF/RESET commands as well as inquires to be sent using a touch tone key pad. It can also share the line with other devices (phone, fax, TAD, but no inbound modem) and allows some of the set up preferences to be changed remotely as well. The commands may also be appended to a modem's AT dial string for more automated entry, even though there is no modem at the U-X3 end. Multiple ITTO equipped U-X3s with different passwords may also be connected to the same phone line.

External Remote Controllers are also available to provide additional methods of remote access.

Touch-Tone Controller (SP-RRC), is used when sharing the TelCo line with a modem or to control an entire daisy chain of U-X3s without the ITTO option.

Multi-Port Controller (FTS), is used to connect several UX-3s in multiple daisy chains (3 or 8 port models), and control them with Touch-tones.

IP Controller (N-RRC), use for remote control over the Internet or any TCP/IP network.

Automatic control
FREE Automatic Software Control utilities that run on a local PC are also available (Windows OS and a USB or RS-232 serial port are required).

Auto Ping is used to RESET network equipment (modems, routers, gateways, firewalls etc.). It pings outside addresses through the target devices and RESETS them if the return pings are not detected. You can assign two IP addresses for up to 30 AC jacks.

Heartbeat is used to monitor the server, connected to the USB or RS-232 serial port on the U-X3. It will RESET one AC JACK on the U-X3 if serial transmission from the server is not detected within a prescribed time. A DLL is also available to help incorporate the heartbeat into your application if required.

Serial Net allows the serial Control Commands to be sent to the remote location "Control PC/server" over a TCP/IP network.

FLEXIBILITY Wow!
You can use any of these methods as your primary method of control and one or more of the others as backup. As an example, use the Heartbeat software to automatically reset the server and the telephone line touch tone or Ring Reboot feature to turn the server ON or OFF or force a RESET from a remote location.

Or use the External IP Controller (N-RRC) as your primary method of AC power control, but when the network equipment is down, you can rely on the Auto Ping to automatically reset it or use any of the "out of band" touch-tone option or Ring count RESET feature to reset the Router modem etc.

Of course all of this can be changed along with a number of other operating parameters through the USB port on the U-X3. It is truly a remarkable device. Its flexibility allows it to be used for a variety of AC power control requirements. It will keep your blood pressure in check and miles off of you car.

AC Power Command Examples
These examples are presented to provide a feel as to what is required to send an AC Power Command via: a Serial (RS-232/USB) Port, External Controller, Modem or the Internal Touch Tone Controller (ITTO).

A typical serial port command to RESET POWER on Box #2, Port #1 is

Where "*" is the attention code, "2" is the box address, "1" is the address for the AC Outlet and "3" is the "Action Command",("1" = ON and "2" = OFF)

If this were sent as a touch-tone command through an External Telephone Line Controller, it would be preceded with the controller #, Password (up to six numbers), and the Port number of the Controller (multi-port units) that the U-X3 is attached to:

# 8 Password Port 213#

This could also be sent from a modem by appending it to the AT dial string. Even though there may not be a modem at the UX-3 end.

ATDT 7709450643@ # 8 Password Port 213#

Wild card and Global Commands are also available.
*PON This "global Command" will turn ON all of the ports on all of the boxes according to the delays applied in the setup
*POF will turn them all OFF
*#31 This "wild card Command" (#) will Turn ON the power on port 3 of all of the boxes in a daisy chain. The wild card can be used in any or all positions.

To send this command via Touch-Tones to the Internal Controller (ITTO) enter

# Password # "bb" #013.

The manual ON/OFF switch can also be used to power the UX-3 ON or OFF. It will power ON according to the preferences that you selected.

:)

I seem to recall hearing something about Cortana (Within Windows 10) being able to control SmartHome devices and light switches and stuff, but for the life of me I've not been able to find the proper screen to enable it.

Hmm Honeywell devices will not talk to anything but Android and nothing else.

Why you need a Apple Iphone special Android app, and load NOX (CRAPWARE) a Android Emulator for Windows.

The fact that many Corporations think Smart Phones over Computers boggles the mind.

Smart Phones are easy to lose, steal, and have the memory of a USB stick and are slow to only running very very small unsophisticated programs.

Edited by RXB