IGNORED

Bringing Back the NES HSC

asponge

This forum has unfortunately been dead for a while so I've volunteered to take the reins. Before we start anything I'd like to get some opinions regarding the format of the competition. Specifically I'd like to know if everyone likes the traditional 15+ game season format or if anyone would prefer just competing on a game by game basis. We could also try shorter tournament like "seasons" of 3-5 games.

I remember when I was really active in the HSC the overall season points were not as interesting to me as the individual game competitions. I just want to know if anyone else shares that opinion or if it's preferred to keep the status quo.

Additionally I know sometimes people get busy and don't have time to compete in every round or may have just missed the beginning of the season and don't want to jump into the middle when they're already at a deficit. Game by game play or a shorter season would benefit those folks.

So let me know what you think. Otherwise if there are any games you'd like to request for whatever format we decide on, please do so.

• Like 3

I would love to see the return of the NES HSC and a 15+ game traditional season would be great.

Rounds lasting 7-10 days would be good.

Might I also suggest adding what we've been doing in the ColecoVision HSC. After the regular season is over, have a Knockout Tournament where the players participate in a weekly game and whoever finishes last for that round is eliminated until only one is left.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks asponge!

Personally it seems to me like if anyone wants to just play for individual competitions and doesn't care about the overall season points then it won't be any bother to them if we're still tracking them. They can still play & compete just the same and ignore the season points. Meanwhile for any of us who enjoy the extra motivation, it would just be a plus. Just how it seems to me, but anyway however you do it I'm sure it will be much appreciated and much fun!

some suggestions:

Star Soldier

Rush'n Attack

Double Dragon

Pipe Dream

Arkista's Ring

Silver Surfer

Wario's Woods

Tetris

Bad Dudes

Balloon Fight

Bomberman II

Clu Clu Land

Rampart

Smash TV

Urban Champion

Donkey Kong

M.U.S.C.L.E.

Paperboy

Q*bert

Stinger

[Homebrews]

[Games few people have heard of]

• Like 2

I love competing in NES games. I compete in the weekly contests on NintendoAge and I've always been in the top 4 by the end of the season. I don't care what specific format is used. I just enjoy playing and competing.

Here are some favorites that I'd enjoy playing in the contests:

Marble Madness (I've bested the official TwinGalaxies record of 179,240 many times.)

Tetris

Double Dragon

Double Dragon II

Contra

Palamedes

Trojan

Bump n Jump

Jackal

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Giaden 2

Ninja Gaiden 3

Batman

Adventure Island

I also think that if the contest takes a more serious approach then picture with a name should be required as it is on NintendoAge.

• Like 1

Might I also suggest adding what we've been doing in the ColecoVision HSC. After the regular season is over, have a Knockout Tournament where the players participate in a weekly game and whoever finishes last for that round is eliminated until only one is left.

We can definitely do this. I'm all for changing up the competition from time to time. The NES knockout we did years ago was pretty fun.

Personally it seems to me like if anyone wants to just play for individual competitions and doesn't care about the overall season points then it won't be any bother to them if we're still tracking them. They can still play & compete just the same and ignore the season points.

I suppose you're right that having a season really doesn't exclude those folks that only care to participate in their particular favorites. I just wanted to make sure that if no one cared about season points we didn't continue doing it just because.
As it stands I'm thinking a 15 game season with 2 week rounds. We'll score according to the number of participants. E.g. if we have 10 players the top player will earn 10 points, second 9, third 8, etc. I will post new rounds on Sunday. Competition will run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST. This means there will be a day overlap at the beginning/end of each round. Each Sunday you can choose to start the new game or get a score in for the previous game.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to wait a few days to see if anyone else wants to chime in. Otherwise, I'll get the season going this Sunday.
  • Like 1

We can definitely do this. I'm all for changing up the competition from time to time. The NES knockout we did years ago was pretty fun.

I suppose you're right that having a season really doesn't exclude those folks that only care to participate in their particular favorites. I just wanted to make sure that if no one cared about season points we didn't continue doing it just because.
As it stands I'm thinking a 15 game season with 2 week rounds. We'll score according to the number of participants. E.g. if we have 10 players the top player will earn 10 points, second 9, third 8, etc. I will post new rounds on Sunday. Competition will run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST. This means there will be a day overlap at the beginning/end of each round. Each Sunday you can choose to start the new game or get a score in for the previous game.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to wait a few days to see if anyone else wants to chime in. Otherwise, I'll get the season going this Sunday.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to this.

NintendoAge's weekly contests are finishing up soon this year and I'll enjoy participating in these.

I think I would be interested, but realistically I already compete in two (Arcade & Atari 8bit) and found myself crashing out of 2600 one due to the lack of time. Still it'd b great to see it revived. And SNES, too! For that reason I'd vote for longer rounds (2 weeks)

As for the games, I'd definitely like to see the more obscure ones rather than the standard-template ones.

The NES high score club has been sorely missed.

Two weeks for each game sounds good. I'm for variety as long as it doesn't get to the point of being solely obscure titles. There are hundreds of games to choose from so this really shouldn't be a problem. I prefer the longer format of 15 or more game seasons.

Please be as specific as you can about rules & requirements so that everyone is on the same page, even if it's only friendly competition.

Here's a good list of games that have previously been a part of high score competitions on this site:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207173-nes-hsc-all-time-high-scores/

I'll probably check back in later to add preferences not shown on the above list.

Thanks for volunteering to help bring this back!

As for the games, I'd definitely like to see the more obscure ones rather than the standard-template ones.

I'm for variety as long as it doesn't get to the point of being solely obscure titles.

I'm going to start with a classic tomorrow that I think most people enjoy. As we get into it I'll do my best to mix it up between old favorites and some games that not everyone has played before.

Asponge, now there's a name I remember! Glad to see you're taking the reigns. I just have to figure out how to post pics from my phone and I will be more active. I have not posted any scores in some time.

Whatever you do, I would like to see the ability to 'challenge' high scores by simply posting them into threads for expired games removed. We all know the scores are kinda secondary to the enjoyment of the games, but part of the excitement is getting your best score in before it locks. And then those who were lucky enough to be part of the chase don't have to watch that top score bumped by somebody putting up a better score outside of those parameters. Personally, without the deadline, it removes some of the fun. And the feeling that the only way to try to better your score is to wait until it comes up again in the que...definitely makes you want to try again amd again, especially if you are in the running.

Anyways, looking forward to mixing it up soon! Seasons or not, I'm easy...other than the above point. It's not a dealbreaker, of course.

I would love to see the return of the NES HSC and a 15+ game traditional season would be great.

Rounds lasting 7-10 days would be good.

Elimination round? Sounds awesome!

Also, maybe some quick 'series' rounds, lile all the Gaidens, or other series similar in theme. And some one-off challenges for single games...with fan donated prizes? Lol...if some guys are up for it, I'd think about donating some stuff.

Needs Gun-Nac... but considering not many even have the game (my copy is a repro actually). Also Star Soldier is kinda bad. The rest of the series in freakin amazing but the original is meh. Kind of feel the same way about the original Bomberman. After playing Bomberman (NES) on PC-Engine and Super Bomberman on SNES it's hard to go back to.

Edited by TravisHuckins

• 1 month later...