IGNORED

5200 BIOS rom here on AtariAge

MrRetroGamer

Is the 5200 bios rom available here on AtariAge from the 4 port 5200? I can't get my version of MESS to work right now to find out, but I want to have someone burn this to a 2532 EPROM for me (from Mikes Arcade Shop). For $7 + $1 to ship it, it's worth it to me to have full compatability with my multicart, I just want to make sure this rom binary is the right one to send him. If it isn't, anyone have the one I should have him use? Thanks!

Is the 5200 bios rom available here on AtariAge from the 4 port 5200?  

Yep, at least it was when I checked about a month ago.

When he burns it, make sure that he burns it to the last 2k of the EPROM. Or you could just double the BIOS ROM to 4k as well.

If you just want a copy of the 4k version send me an email.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Does the 4-port actually have a different bios then the 2-port? I never really thought about this. I would really like to get ahold of both versions to compare them.

Yes, they are different. According to the 5200 FAQ the change was made to accomadate PAL games.

You can tell the 2 port version of the chip by the "A" at the end of the Atari part number.

The 4 port BIOS is downloadable from the 5200 emulation page here at AtariAge. And I just uploaded the 5200 2 port bios up to my site. You can get it here.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Boris:

Does the 4-port actually have a different bios then the 2-port? I never really thought about this. I would really like to get ahold of both versions to compare them.

Dan Boris

As someone mentioned, the 2 port added code to test for PAL/NTSC. This shifted some of the data around as well from my understanding. So games for the 4 port that directly accessed the bios to load the vector table instead of letting the bios set it up, will not work on the 4-port (such as Pitfall and K-Razy Shootout).