IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3

Other than NES, how many different consoles did this title appear on? I don't know of any others I can compare it to, but I find the Nintendo version is very faithful to the experience I remember of originally playing. I know many people decried it for replacing Mario/Jumpman with Stanley the Bug Man, but I think this game is a great mixture of the Donkey Kong theme with a Galaga style shooter that I could play for hours and hours. (Starscream, I really owe you one. Thanks a million!)

That's one funky game and watch!  I love those pull out control pads - it's like they were trying to imitate the NES in miniature. :D

Except that they came out before the NES didn't they? :P I remember seeing the NES/Famicom pads and thinking "wow, they used the Game & Watch control design!". Which of course..they did. By the way, I have that Game & Watch.. and it's one of the poorer ones that were made. You can spend all day just shooting at your opponent.. Not much strategy and ends up being boring even back in the day :|

I can't think of any other platform besides the NES/Famicom that had DK3... Did the MSX have one? Stanley the Gardener is in another Game & Watch game by the way.. "Greenhouse"! It has the same worms you find in Donkey Kong 3 etc. and you use a bugspray as well. It's sort of fun. Not the greatest either though :P

You know speaking of Donkey Kong 3.. I used to HATE the game since I thought it sucked in comparison to the first 2 Donkey Kongs. But when I realized it should be thought of as a cartoony shooter in the vein of Galaxian and Galaga.. My whole opinion of the game changed! :) Also a lot of people think that the goal of the game is to shoot Donkey Kong up (which it sort of is). But once you realize that you can clear a stage by shooting all the bugs, you realize that Donkey Kong is almost a secondary objective and the shooter pedigree shines through a lot better. :D

post-31-1055539155_thumb.jpg

post-31-1055539156_thumb.jpg

I know the GBA isn't a console but you can play Donkey Kong 3 on it (requires the e-Reader).

Of course it's the NES version...and five cards to scan.

I picked it up a few weeks ago when EB had Air Hockey as a freebie (one card).

post-2015-1055559276.jpg

I know the GBA isn't a console but you can play Donkey Kong 3 on it (requires the e-Reader).  

Of course it's the NES version...and five cards to scan.

I picked it up a few weeks ago when EB had Air Hockey as a freebie (one card).

Up until now nothing has really interested me in the e-Reader, but if I can play Donkey Kong 3 on it with a pack of cards that MIGHT just tip the scales of me getting one. :D

I know many people decried it for replacing Mario/Jumpman with Stanley the Bug Man

Yeah, that was dumb... luckily for me, I didn't even know about that until well after I had played the game, so I just ignore people when they remind me that it's not really Mario. After all, it looks like Mario, so why not?

I actually really liked this game, but I always really sucked at it. I had no idea that killing all the bugs had an effect though! Maybe I should try it again knowing that.

--Zero

The eReader version is excellent, MMF. Well worth the purchase of the device if you are a DK3 fan. I've got a lot of the card based games and enjoy them all.

What would be really, really nice was if the new GBA player for the GC allowed you to hook the eReader into it and let you scan and play the card based games on your TV along with GBA carts.

Mendon

I actually really liked this game, but I always really sucked at it. I had no idea that killing all the bugs had an effect though! Maybe I should try it again knowing that.

Yep! :) Just think of Donkey Kong as the "Boss". If you 'kill' him the stage ends, but he's not essential to clearing the stage.

Especially in the higher levels..just shoot bugs! :P

Yep! :) Just think of Donkey Kong as the "Boss". If you 'kill' him the stage ends, but he's not essential to clearing the stage.  

There is one good reason to 'kill' DK3 as quick as you like if you're not in the mood to play the Galaga style - you get a higher round bonus end score, and you don't risk losing any of your pots at the bottom to the bugs (those are also bonus points at each round's end).

There is one good reason to 'kill' DK3 as quick as you like if you're not in the mood to play the Galaga style - you get a higher round bonus end score, and you don't risk losing any of your pots at the bottom to the bugs (those are also bonus points at each round's end).

Absolutely.. Especially in the earlier stages I always go for the DK kill. But when the game gets really tough, it gets pretty hard to get rid of him (especially on that level that's missing the step just below the top one :x ) and since the bugs attack fast and furious, it's hard to get under DK long enough to even tickle his friggin ass :lol:... So eventually, killing all the bugs.. while you run frantically away from them becomes almost the primary action :P

I always thought DK3 was way too easy. If you get the super spray right away you can kill donkey kong very quickly. I can usually get to around level 25 or 30 before I start dying. I also find the game very boring for that reason. Fun game though in short spurts, but it doesnt have the staying power that the original had.

Tempest

I found DK 3 on a 110 in 1 multi-cart for the NES. I have never seen this game anywhere else. I just thought that this game was a Famicom game that was available in bootleg NES carts only. Multi carts sometimes have obscure games on them. I just found one the other day with a game called SASA on it. You are this space man with these jet pack thingies. The object is to fly into various objects and dismantle them before the time runs out. Fun game!!

Archived