IGNORED

High-end video/audio cable options for the Sega Master System and Genesis 1

HDTV1080P

High-end video/audio cable options for the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis system one

Both the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis system one have a high quality RF modulator when compared to some earlier 80’s systems. However, RF output is the lowest quality video and audio connection. Composite video and audio is better than RF. The best video output for the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis system one is the game systems native RGB output or component video output. HDMI output would require internal modification to the original Sega game consoles.

For people that do not have a RGB monitor, and have no component video input on their display, then the composite video output is the best choice.

Cables Online makes high-end video and audio cables for videogame systems (their first system they supported was the Coleco ADAM computer, then later on many other systems). The Cables Online ADG-300 and ADG-506 is for both the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis system one. Both of these cables use high grade professional oxygen free cables, Gold plated on both the RCA connectors and Gold plated on the 5 pin DIN connector.

The Cables Online ADG-300 sales for $20.95 and is a 6 inch cable adapter that allows one to connect up to a 100 feet RG-6 RCA style cables to their videogame system. The Cables Online ADG-506 sales for $24.95 and is 6 feet in length.

While the Sega Master System is a native mono videogame system, the advantage of the Sega Genesis system one videogame system is that it is a native stereo videogame system. However the Sega Genesis system one has a hardware limitation and does not offer stereo sound from the DIN jack, instead one needs to use stereo headphones or a stereo to RCA adapter. For people that own a stereo system or have a stereo TV the ideal adapter to use with the Cables Online ADG-300 is Monoprices gold plated 7 inch 3.5mm stereo Male to 2 RCA Female adapter for $2.32 (part #5611). In addition, for setups that use the 6 feet Cables Online ADG-506, the Monoprice 6 feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2 RCA Male cables for $2.97 is ideal (part #5598).

post-10892-0-52802000-1543052587_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-39057900-1543052641_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-90783300-1543052692_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-03947600-1543052757_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-67032700-1543052812_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-78400200-1543052873_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

I wouldn't consider any of that high-end for the Genesis unless it's still 1989 somehow.

High-end Genesis video requires some form of RGB: either a decent-quality SCART cable and an OSSC, or HD Retrovision's YPbPr component and either a compatible TV or OSSC. If you go the component cable route, you can use the model 1 headphone jack with a 1/8" to 1/8" cable and pipe the audio straight into the component cables. The high-end SCART options have something similar.

I've got the HD Retrovision cables and a Retrotink 2x on order from Castlemania and I can't wait for them to get here. Already have the model 1 to model 2 converter to use it with my VA2 model 1. Still around 2-3 weeks of waiting ahead of me, though. :(

• Like 1

Some people have old tube TV’s where the composite video input is their best connection. When playing Sega Genesis games (when I actually have the time to do it and not working on a project), I would prefer HDMI, VGA, RGB, or component.

In the future if I have time I well be looking at some of those options for the Sega Genesis. RGB and component video uses advanced cable designs that are harder to construct and that is why consumers pay more for those cables.

I am glad Sega made RGB for the Master System and Genesis system. With my Coleco ADAM I am only limited to composite video unless one does a internal modification.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I wouldn't consider any of that high-end for the Genesis unless it's still 1989 somehow.

It's 2018 and "high end" for me means RGB on a CRT. Any HDMI solutions will always be just attempts to catch up with that (ok maybe not always, but for the time being they are, unless there are some serious advances in shader/panel tech)

It's 2018 and "high end" for me means RGB on a CRT. Any HDMI solutions will always be just attempts to catch up with that (ok maybe not always, but for the time being they are, unless there are some serious advances in shader/panel tech)

Well, one thing we agree on is that its not composite :lol:

For me I prefer using the TV I already have. Others like the CRT experience. I feel like theyre basically the same and the trade offs are just tangible trades. Extra space and larger screen vs the warm fuzzy Way It Was Meant To Be Played of a tube display.

I was at my aunt and uncles house last night. Their main tv is still a CRT and my cousins kids had an Xbox 360 attached to it. That seems backwards to me. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Some people have old tube TVs where the composite video input is their best connection. When playing Sega Genesis games (when I actually have the time to do it and not working on a project), I would prefer HDMI, VGA, RGB, or component.

I tried that for a while in the summer and fall of 2017. Had a half-way decent Orion with S-video and composite. The Genesis could only use composite. It was not enjoyable for me, even though I played that way for a decade when I was in high school and college. No model of the Genesis had good composite output, that I can tell. The Sony-equipped ones were better but they all looked much fizzier than, for example, a Genesis emulator on my soft-modded Xbox with S-video output at 240p. If I was stuck on a composite TV today Id opt for the Xbox.

Edited by derFunkenstein

For me I prefer using the TV I already have. Others like the CRT experience.

Fair enough :) If one day the modern displays/shaders can match a CRT on the sort of FLAC vs LAME mp3 virtually indistinguishable scale I will gladly switch (it'd be so much easier just to output all the emus from my PC). But we're not there yet, not for me at least.

I respect people's pesonal preference but do object to sort of blanket statements often heard in the wild, which imply that modern displays and methods are an automatical upgrade over the old tech in regards to pre-720p era, by the virtue of being more recent and advanced. They are not, since they produce a different picture and are meant for different generation of hardware. The art direction (and sometimes gameplay itself such as light guns) was cathode-ray - often composite/RF - oriented. It used not only the well-known tricks such a waterfall, but more common stuff like dithering and natural anti-aliasing to achieve the-then intended artistic effect. The fixation on super-sharpness and thicc scanlines is a thoroughly modern invention.

It's the same reason why I wouldn't play 360/PS4 games on a CRT (though I guess your cousins' set up has more to do with financial reasons than some retro-CRT love).

But, again, if the modern look works for you or anybody else that's totally fine. I'm just mentioning it for more historical reasons, not to bicker. CRT's are notorioulsy hard to photograph correctly and I fear one day that wonderful, peculiar "look" may be totally forgotten.

Re: Genesis, its composite is indeed quite atrocious, even though I actually do not mind playing most other systems through it (my RGB CRT TV sets are in Europe, atm I'm in Asia and can only use a simple composite one) since it's not so bad actually, as long as you just enjoy the games and stop poring over the pixels. But Genesis is actually annoying, there's so many misplaced colour artifacts, rolling pixels and suchlike. Wonder why.

Ive come to realize the best video output for the Genesis is either composite or svideo. Component video reveals just how much dithering the Genesis does. Its a dither fest. I think im going back to composite and using the component cable for the Saturn and AES.

You could always go RGB with the SCART cable and get a SCART to Component video adapter or even HDMI. This should provide a much better picture but, with a extra cost with it..

S-video is better than composite by far but, requires a mod on the Sega...If you can do it, it's not that expensive for the parts but, if you need a modder to do it, it might be better looking into the RGB and converter thing for best results.

You could always go RGB with the SCART cable and get a SCART to Component video adapter or even HDMI. This should provide a much better picture but, with a extra cost with it..

S-video is better than composite by far but, requires a mod on the Sega...If you can do it, it's not that expensive for the parts but, if you need a modder to do it, it might be better looking into the RGB and converter thing for best results.

None of those options will remove the dithering pattern effects either. In fact even with good S-video, you will totally see the fake transparency effects Sega artists programmed by using a dithering pattern. Streets of rage 2 in the bar is the easiest to see this as the overhead lights looks transparent when you move behind them on a CRT but with s-video or better they make your character look like they are being digitized and about to play games in the 'Tron' world...

Now that I think about it...SOR gameplay in a 'Tron' world could be pretty cool!

• Like 1

None of those options will remove the dithering pattern effects either. In fact even with good S-video, you will totally see the fake transparency effects Sega artists programmed by using a dithering pattern. Streets of rage 2 in the bar is the easiest to see this as the overhead lights looks transparent when you move behind them on a CRT but with s-video or better they make your character look like they are being digitized and about to play games in the 'Tron' world...

Now that I think about it...SOR gameplay in a 'Tron' world could be pretty cool!

Interesting to know. I did end up picking up a Sega SCART RGB cable and ordered a SCART to HDMI adapter BEFORE I ordered a Framemeister. I'll give the HDMI adapter a full test before touching the scaler..

One would think converting RGB to HDMI or component would give a much better picture than composite or S-video...

Interesting to know. I did end up picking up a Sega SCART RGB cable and ordered a SCART to HDMI adapter BEFORE I ordered a Framemeister. I'll give the HDMI adapter a full test before touching the scaler..

One would think converting RGB to HDMI or component would give a much better picture than composite or S-video...

The dithering was to make up for the lack of color the hardware can display at once. It is literally an alternating darker and lighter pixels to give the illusion of more color or transparency. There is no getting around it

S-Video is better than composite video since Y/C is separated, however one should only use S-Video if their old tube TV does not have component video inputs. In addition, the problem with S-Video on the Genesis is it requires an internal modification for native S-Video. One can purchase a external $200 component video to S-Video converter that well give one the full advantage of S-Video, however one can purchase a new flat panel display for $200 and use the native RGB or component video feature on the Genesis.

If I was going to internally modify the Sega Genesis video output, I would make it native HDMI similar to what NES owners did to their 1985 Nintendo systems. However as far as I am aware know one has developed a HDMI upgrade for the Genesis which would be better then a external scaller since native HDMI would be synced with the CPU and have no delay.

Maybe a hardware developer could develop an external graphics card with a HDMI port that would plug in the side expansion port of the original Genesis system. That’s what the system needs. I would also like to see a ColecoVision expansion module that plugs on the top or the side of the Genesis system. Then existing ColecoVision owners could use their classic game library on a Sega Genesis.

Edited by HDTV1080P

S-Video is better than composite video since Y/C is separated, however one should only use S-Video if their old tube TV does not have component video inputs. In addition, the problem with S-Video on the Genesis is it requires an internal modification for native S-Video. One can purchase a external $200 component video to S-Video converter that well give one the full advantage of S-Video, however one can purchase a new flat panel display for $200 and use the native RGB or component video feature on the Genesis.

If I was going to internally modify the Sega Genesis video output, I would make it native HDMI similar to what NES owners did to their 1985 Nintendo systems. However as far as I am aware know one has developed a HDMI upgrade for the Genesis which would be better then a external scaller since native HDMI would be synced with the CPU and have no delay.

Maybe a hardware developer could develop an external graphics card with a HDMI port that would plug in the side expansion port of the original Genesis system. That’s what the system needs. I would also like to see a ColecoVision expansion module that plugs on the top or the side of the Genesis system. Then existing ColecoVision owners could use their classic game library on a Sega Genesis.

Yes internal modification is required to get s-video, but it is a very cheap modification and pretty easy to do yourself. It is honestly more difficult to solder wires onto the small posts of the S-video connector itself I feel than it is making all the connections within the Genesis LOL. But even the native RGB has flaws. Pretty much all the older model 1 units will exhibit nasty jailbars through RGB and still require internal modification to cut the color subcarrier (Killing the composite and s-video pretty much in the process), or installing a separate RGB bypass amp if you want try clean RGB from a model 1 Genesis. So you still have to do some modification if you want a clean and pretty noise free signal. I use HDretrovision cables on my model 1 Genesis and while the picture I get from my genesis through those cables rivals the image I get from my RGB SNES and Saturn, it still had jail bars and required me to internally modify my genesis further.

Maybe I'm being too OCD, but if you're going to spend the big bucks to start putting in RGB in the mix requiring an OSSC or Framemeister, plus the SCART switchers...and the cabling. You are going to want all of that to provide you with damn near digital quality imaging and it is nearly possible to do that.

Now the NES- HiDef kit is basically an FPGA that takes the signals from the PPU and converts them to a digital format through HDMI. But it isn't cheap. The Hi-Def NES kit is about the same price as a McWill LCD upgrade. My point is that to get something similar for a Genesis would easily cost half the price of the Mega SG when you put the cost of the parts and installation requirements. That is why I think we haven't seen such a development drop in AV kit for the Genesis already and instead those thoughts and plans moved onto larger scale projects.

• 1 month later...

SCART cable, Framemeister, Model 1 and done....looks better than an emulator on an LCD TV.

That said. Composite on a high end 1983 RCA 25" CRT is pretty F&%king bad ass! (jailbars in waterfall part of the old school charm)

post-23318-0-69021100-1546143758_thumb.jpg