IGNORED

Burned out from collecting / to many systems

After talking to my younger brother. He explained he doesn’t want the Intellivison II anymore. This system was the last system I picked up that was different. I set the system up and he couldn’t keep his hands off it. So I loaned it to him explaining when he got board of playing the system. I would take it back. That was over 4 years ago. Now I start to wonder if I have too much. Part of it is the room to store everything. Another part is opening up the can of worms that comes with each system. Should I collect just the game, controllers, manuals, boxes, and other items for each system? I have in my mind a small list of items for each system. Lets face it. I don’t even have a place to hook all the systems up at once. The thrift store finds are getting harder to find. Sure they are out there but not like they use to be. E-bay seems to be way overpriced for a silly little $.50 cent carts. Yard Sales are the thing of the past for me. I’m too busy to make it to each sale. The only reason I luck out for the thrift stores is they are on the way into or out of town. Then one of the main things is cash. I admit there are a few items if I had the bucks I would like to purchase. I have decided on thing though. Not to give up hope. Not to sell off my entire collection. For once in a blue moon that all mighty deals that make me smile from ear to ear is still out their waiting to be found. So I leave you with a list of systems and small ideas.

Atari 2600

(Over 100 different games with the idea of collecting more. For a good trade or thrift find if I have the cash.)

Atari 7800

(Any game that I do not have. If I walk into a place and they have a good deal and I have the cash. The cart will wonder out with me.)

Intellivision II

(I have my eye on the Atari 2600 adaptor. If I find it in the wild, with a really good price. I have yet to see any games in a while. At least worth collecting for this system. I got manuals, games, and templates all in good condition when I picked up the system)

Sega Master System

(Limited amount of games. If I find one I like in the wild I’ll pick it up. Wife and I both have a list)

Sega Genesis 32X/CD/PowerBase

(This has been an on-going internal argument. I passed up several Sega CD games just because I really didn’t want them. I still have a few carts and Sega CD games on my list to pickup. But that is about it. My wife also has a list. One strange thing is I’m looking for a mouse, light gun, and decently a memory cart. If the items show up for cheap. I have this shop I need to get back to checking with. They get stuff in all the time)

Sega Game Gear

(The first thing that comes to mind is replacing the plastic cover. It is all scratched. This idea came along after scoring a small pile of games in the wild. Yes, I know the replacement plastic is cheap. But, we are talking money here. As for games not really that interested. I guess if I find another pile of games. Sure why not.)

Super Nintendo

(A few games my wife and I heard of still need to be purchased. But nothing else is on the table. No controllers, books, manuals or anything.)

One game system I would like to add is the Sega nomad. This is on my list due to the amount of Genesis cartridges we have. This leads us to the ps/2 system. It is in the works. My wife and I both love the games on a ps/2. Plus with several hundred cheap ps/1 games out there. It is a simple quest. Just need to cough up the money for the system.

Well, that is my two cents worth. For those who can see this big picture go ahead and comment or post your woes. I don’t want to sound like collecting gamming sucks. Yes, love to smile when I get a great deal. It just can be overwhelming at times.

Later,

Josh

Now I start to wonder if I have too much. Part of it is the room to store everything. [...] Lets face it. I don’t even have a place to hook all the systems up at once.

Storage can be tough... however, I currently have 10 consoles hooked up in my room right now (plus this PC), and they're all hooked up and ready to play. You just have to plan things out carefully, and if you do it right, you'll find that having all your stuff hooked up isn't really all that hard.

Another part is opening up the can of worms that comes with each system. Should I collect just the game, controllers, manuals, boxes, and other items for each system? I have in my mind a small list of items for each system.

I say just stick with the small list. There's no rule that you have to go hardcore with each system you buy. I mean hell, I bought a 32X about 8 months ago, and I still haven't even tried to buy a game for it. Buy what makes you happy, and what you can have fun with, not what makes for a "good collection".

I've always considered myself a player first and a collector second. In fact, the only reason I consider myself a collector at all is because I have so much junk that I just fell into it. So many people come into these forums asking how much something is worth, or what it's rarity is. What they really should be concerned with is "is this fun?"

The thrift store finds are getting harder to find. Sure they are out there but not like they use to be.

It's true... Atari stuff is gradually going extinct. I think the last game I found was Canyon Bomber and that was months ago... but there's other stuff to be found. Genesis stuff is more common than ever, and NES and SNES stuff is showing up quite a bit. I've managed to find quite a few gems that I didn't know about before. Last Ninja on the NES? Crazy!

E-bay seems to be way overpriced for a silly little $.50 cent carts.

Personally, I avoid eBay at all costs lately. It's just a huge money pit. Not only that, but it's like the "anti-collection". Sure, you can get games from there, but it's an empty victory. You basically pay your way through the challenge of finding stuff in the wild.

I have decided on thing though. Not to give up hope. Not to sell off my entire collection.

Very good choice. I can thoroughly understand people needing to sell off their stuff to make ends meet... but selling off your stuff because you're burned out is a very bad idea. It may net you some nice coin, but 5 or 10 years down the road, you'll regret the decision, trust me. If you really are burned out and want to stop, then stop... but don't give up everything.

For once in a blue moon that all mighty deals that make me smile from ear to ear is still out their waiting to be found.

I know what you mean. There have been many times where I gave up on the thift stores after weeks of fruitless seaches... and then on a casual trip I'll make a huge score, and I'm suddenly back in the thick of it and going every day.

(I have my eye on the [intellivision] Atari 2600 adaptor.)

Might help to save some space. I've never seen one in the wild though... but good luck.

One thing that I found helps keep me from getting disillusioned from collecting is reading video game magazines. I've got a fairly large collection of them myself, and one of the local thrift stores sells magazines for $0.50 each (I found 7 issues of ODCM there the other day!). Reading through these shows me what games I'm missing, and gets me excited about things all over again... and sometimes I see articles on games that I already have and don't appreciate enough... which inspires me to go back and give them a good play. Keep a couple of these magazines in the bathroom, and it might help your burn-out.

--Zero

How do you figure? Do you mean that eventually we'll run out of cartridges or something?

Regardless of what happens, a very large percentage* of the games we collect are archived all over the place as rom images. Many emulator enthusiasts are "collectors" in their own right, just by having CD's full of roms.

The games never really go away... they just get played in a different form.

--Zero

* - Unfortunately, there are many prototypes that will possibly never be dumped, and won't survive the ages. Still waiting for Marble Madness 2 :(

During the nineties, I used to collect for about every single classic system I could get my hands. Then, one day, I decided to get rid of it all but the Atari 2600, the King of Consoles. And I must say, specializing in one system sure made this hobby (even) more enjoyable for me :)

Cheers,

Marco

Archived