IGNORED

How do I burn the .bin files? Don't they need .cue files?

JerseyGirl474

".bin" stands for "binary" and all it means is that it is not text in there but some sort of code. cue/bin pairs are a common format for storing CD images, the .bin holds the data while the .cue describes the organization (tracks, etc.) of the CD.

Since the Atari uses cartridges, not CDs like the newer consoles, Atari ".bin" files have nothing to do with cue/bin pairs. Well, they also contain data but that's about it.

You *can* "burn" the Atari .bin files, not to a CD though but to an EPROM chip ("Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory") which you then plug into one of the Printed Circuit Boards sold in the AtariAge store, which you can then, in turn, plug into the Atari 2600 console in place of a cartridge. To do this you need an EPROM burner which is not exactly a common item in private households - ask your local electronics-savy person if he has one or knows somebody who has one. Depending on the size of the game different PCBs and different EPROMs are used, but you can probably run over 80% of the existing games with three PCBs (2 or 4K, 8K, 16K).

The other option as mentioned above is to get a 2600 Emulator like Stella or Z26 for your computer and run the games there. No need to burn anything in that case.

I just downloaded a bunch of the files for the Atari 2600 games. When I unzipped them' date=' there were only .bin files and no .cue files. How do I get them to play when I burn them to a CD?

~ Jen, the Jersey Girl ~ :music: [/color']

I'm not sure what you mean by "get them to play." If you burn the .bin files to the CD as .bin files, then you should be able to play the games with an emulator as you would play any .bin file on your PC. Of course, this assumes that the CD player you use is connected to your PC and used as a system drive.

If you wanted to play the files in a Cuttle Cart or a Supercharger, then you need a utility called MAKEWAV.EXE, which converts a .BIN file into a .WAV file. You can find the utility at Robert Colbert's web page here:

http://members.cox.net/rcolbert/makewav.htm

As a .wav file, you can make a cassette tape which can then be read into your Supercharger via a tape player without the need of a computer, just like the original Starpath games. Or you could simply "Play" the tape as you would any audio tape and listen to the squealing, hissing acoustic rendition of the bitstream.

You could also use a different utility on Colbert's web page, called WPlayBin, which allows you to play the .bin file with a Supercharger without the need to convert the .bin to a .wav file. However, WPlayBin runs on your PC at game play time and requires the .bin file to exist on a system drive (it could be a CD ROM drive) as if you were playing a .bin file on a PC through an emulator.

Ben

So what would a .WAV file of a 2600 bin sound like?

Reminds me of Strange Brew, when they put a computer disk on a turntable.

Sounds like a British new wave band!

Not my style of music...hey Hosehead!  Here's another one for your collection!

Here's Space War for example.. turn down your speakers! :D

Yep, sounds just like a British new wave band. :D

Hmm. . . sounds more like an old microwave alarm followed by a modem then the microwave again. I think the popcorn is done.

Archived