IGNORED

Suncom StarFighter joysticks

cryptik76

I bought two Suncom StarFighter joysticks at a garage sale today ($2 for the set). I haven't hooked them up to my Atari 2600 yet, but they seem like pretty good joysticks.

So are they? Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm dying to try them out but my 2600 is still buried in the closet.

I don't now about the starfighter joystics, but Suncom is a great brand of joystics. That's all I use on my 2600.

Heavy duty plastic and all metal parts that are easily cleaned, though I've never had the need to clean one yet.

It's just to bad Suncom went to the telecommunications market and quit making joystics. I honestly think they were just as good as wico joystics.

• 1 month later...

Because we're going to be moving soon, we finally dug my Atari 2600 out of the closet and I was finally able to test the Starfighter joysticks I bought last month.

My conclusion?

These are, unarguably, the ABSOLUTE WORST JOYSTICKS I HAVE EVER USED. I plugged in the first one and attempted to play Space Invaders, but the movement was extremely jerky and unresponsive and the fire button only responds about 30% of the time. I thought maybe it was just a broken joystick, so I plugged the other one in. The other one was just as bad.

My recommendation? If you need extra joysticks because you only have one working joystick (like me), steer far, far clear of the Suncom Starfighter joysticks.

These are, unarguably, the ABSOLUTE WORST JOYSTICKS I HAVE EVER USED.  I plugged in the first one and attempted to play Space Invaders, but the movement was extremely jerky and unresponsive and the fire button only responds about 30% of the time.  I thought maybe it was just a broken joystick, so I plugged the other one in.  The other one was just as bad.

My recommendation?  If you need extra joysticks because you only have one working joystick (like me), steer far, far clear of the Suncom Starfighter joysticks.

Whoa! I would not base my opinion about Suncom joysticks solely on this one bad experience. Sure, you may have found a pair that were bad, but they were likely stored together improperly by the previous owner for many years.

Sometime in high school I acquired a Suncom Slik Stik which quickly became my standard controller for both the 2600 and the C64. After years of use it still worked great. Over the past few weeks, I've finally managed to get a couple of Suncom Tac-2s and they're great too. As for the Starfighter, I did get one of those in an auction a few months ago. It was not quite as good as the Slik Stik or Tac-2, but it was still better than the vast majority of 2600 controllers.

Suncom controllers rule! Give them another try!! :)

--Jason

I understand what you're saying, but these joysticks appear to be in mint condition. The problems with them appear to be flaws in the design of the joystick itself.

I'd be interested in hearing what someone else has to say about the Starfighter joysticks, but I haven't seen anything on the Internet about them (reviews and such).

Archived