IGNORED

What Are You Adding to Your Collection This Holiday Season?

Videogames wise, surprisingly little in actual games. For me or the kids.

My wife got me the 1up Atari 12-in-1 Arcade. That was it, but a it's nice present for sure for everyone.

My mother-in-law got me a $100 gift card to the package store, so I got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue. I am also going to consider that gift video game related, in about two hours.

My sons also bought a couple 50 card trivia packs at TJ Maxx for each other....one was "Retro Video Games" and the other had some other weird title. I think I did got like 45/50 on both of them. Fun stocking stuffer though.

With the holidays now basically over, 2018 was the year of Atari for me!

Long backstory:

Back in 2017 I was looking for podcasts to listen to while working out, and in a fit of nostalgia I stumbled upon Shinto's Jag podcast and Phil's 7800 podcast. I really enjoyed both, and I have a lot of fond memories of walking back home from local bars (it's where I mostly socialize, since I work for myself) with bluetooth earbud in ear listening to both of these. I decided to pick up a used Jag and possibly 7800 if I could ever find them at decent prices, but had no luck at all finding either (the Jag was released in Japan but is very rare, and the 7800 was never released here). No luck in 2017, but I was determined to get back into Atari in 2018.

Jaguar

In 2018, I finally found a reliable Japanese store selling a used Jag with 1 controller and AvP (with inserts). The price was pretty insane, but it was less than anything on Ebay+intl shipping, and I wouldn't have to worry about it getting smashed/lost on the way here. I decided to go for it, and after some cleaning up, it looks very nice and works fine.

I ended up getting some extra games for it from GOAT Store, and now I've got a small library of 6 games, and am looking forward to Saint's eventual SD cart.

I kept searching Ebay and finally found a used 7800 with a few games and power supply from a seller that would ship to Japan for a reasonable price. It got here quick, and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to play it since it's RF only and wouldn't work with Japanese TVs due to different channels. I got a cheap composite mod kit from The Future was 8bit, broke out my soldering iron (and rusty soldering skills), and was able to get it to work on the first try. :)

I ended up getting some CIB games from a local import store, and ordered a bunch of HB games from Atariage (amazing stuff!).

XEGS

My first computer was a hand me down 800XL from my brother, and I've always wanted to get one of the 8bit Atari computers for my collection (to join my MSX2, Apple IIc, C64c, and Atari ST XD). I had been considering getting a used 800XL for a few years, but never found what I considered a good/reliable deal on Ebay. However, on a lark I searched for XEGS and found that Atari Sales & Service/B&C are selling "newish" XEGS systems, so I decided to go for it. It arrived just today and, along with my UNO cart, I'm enjoying some classic Atari computing! Very impressive port of Ms Pacman on this system!

• Like 1

I haven't really been adding much this whole year other than some newer PS4 games but I recently got my copies of Mappy and Balloon Trip from the Atariage store which I'm really enjoying and since I preordered the Collectorvision Phoenix I've been reacquiring some of my favorite titles for the Colecovision and since I was pretty much handed a Tandy Coco 2 just a couple days ago, god help me, I may get a few of my favorite Coco 2 carts and a joystick, although I'm trying to talk myself out of it. My coco collection got out of hand and I almost never played any of it.

Other than that I've been working on older 486 and Pentium 1 PC builds for some older PC gaming so I'm always on the lookout for some 90's PC titles and in that regard I picked up a few free and cheap GOG games in the past couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Today I was pleased to find a couple of things in the mail at the same time. Capcom Belt Action Collection through yes-asia physical on switch and in english, and then also a freebie I got in support of a guy that went through PCE Works for their production values to produce a blu ray walkthrough and commentary on Dracula X PCE CD, and he found without even asking for it the company threw in a free copy of the translated (text, language) Dracula X Rondo of Blood mastered in there too. I just got finished playing that game for the first time (keyboard, magic engine), since sometime in the 2000s. Still a pretty fun game, probably the most overrated one for the series but still very solid. I was surprised I got up to the stage 4 boss before hitting game over considering how hard it is, and unlocked Maria too.

• Like 1

I haven't really been adding much this whole year other than some newer PS4 games but I recently got my copies of Mappy and Balloon Trip from the Atariage store which I'm really enjoying and since I preordered the Collectorvision Phoenix I've been reacquiring some of my favorite titles for the Colecovision and since I was pretty much handed a Tandy Coco 2 just a couple days ago, god help me, I may get a few of my favorite Coco 2 carts and a joystick, although I'm trying to talk myself out of it. My coco collection got out of hand and I almost never played any of it.

Other than that I've been working on older 486 and Pentium 1 PC builds for some older PC gaming so I'm always on the lookout for some 90's PC titles and in that regard I picked up a few free and cheap GOG games in the past couple of weeks.

I’ve never owned a Coco 2, but my Vectrex collection gets this way every time I get back into it. I really enjoy the first month or two, and then there it sits for a few months until I harvest it for cash on eBay.

• Like 1