Week 12/13/14

HomeBrew Holidays

Toyshop Trouble

s_ToyshopTrouble_SP_3.png

Reindeer Rescue

s_ReindeerRescue_SP_3.png

Gingerbread Man

s_GingerbreadMan_SP_1.png

CLARIFICATION: No use of CHEATS, emulation advantages, bugs, cart frying or other variables that gives you an unfair advantage in this HSC. Please assume you have to follow the game difficulty and mode for the playing week/s. There cannot be any game enhancements or favorite settings to play in the 2600 HSC, unless you are given authorization to do so by your humble yet strict MODERATOR! Vocelli

Toyshop Trouble

Released By: Many including Nathan Strum (Graphics)

Left Difficulty: B

Right Difficulty: B

Game Mode: Game 1

https://atariage.com/2600/roms/ToyshopTrouble_SP.zip

Reindeer Rescue

Released By: Bob Montgomery and Nathan Strum (Graphics)

https://atariage.com/2600/roms/ReindeerRescue_SP.zip

Ginderbread Man

Released By: Fred Quimby

NO CONTINUES!

https://atariage.com/2600/roms/GingerbreadMan_SP.zip

OF NOTE:

In order for players to enjoy the holidays….

I have posted 3 games to be played for 3 weeks.

I will be out of town many times.

Have fun and enjoy your Holiday!

The start of Activision weeks, will be posted Jan 11.

Post your scores right here in this thread, and we will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone else.

The deadline for posting scores is Midnight (EST) the evening of Jan 13, 2018

Toyshop Trouble

56628 - OldManG +50

26061 - JonesYY +49

22562 - DrMooCowz +48

20571 - Lid +47

17804 - Karok +46

14923 - RetroGoober +45

14058 - DarthKur +44

14003 - Jin +43

12240 - Oyama +42

11013 - Deteacher +41

10204 - SBAZ +40

10011 - HankR +39

9749 - NovaStar +38

9650 - Vocelli +37

8923 - AtariWarlord +36

8693 - DrSpuds +35

8587 - Keilbaca +34

7723 - JasonAtari +33

7344 - LaurenTyler +32

7313 - ClassicGamer +31

5936 - Leto +30

5097 - Gtype +29

3889 - RedMiller +28

2823 - AGB +27

2577 - AbleMV +26

2551 - Scrabbler +25

1623 - RoadRunner +24

877 - Lord innit +23

149 - JBlenkle +22

103 - 5x7 +21

Reindeer Rescue

113350 - OldManG +50

83900 - Oyama +49

78500 - DarthKur +48

32225 - Jin +47

32025 - Atarian7 +46

32000 - Keilbaca +45

30650 - HankR +44

28175 - JasonAtari +43

28050 - AtariWarlord +42

27975 - JonesYY +41

27350 - RetroGoober +40

27225 - 5x7 +39

27050 - DrMooCowz +38

26525 - Gtype +37

25075 - NovaStar +36

24450 - DrSpuds +35

24075 - SBAZ +34

23525 - Vocelli +33

23300 - Lid +32

22875 - RedMiller +31

22800 - RoadRunner +30

21950 - ClassicGamer +29

18475 - Deteacher +28

18375 - Leto +27

17175 - Karok +26

16075 - Lord Innit +25

13900 - LaurenTyler +24

7975 - JBlenkle +23

2400 - AbleMV +22

2050 - AGB +21

75 - Scrabbler +20

Gingerbread Man

28925 - JonesYY +50

27990 - OldManG +49

21830 - Leto +48

21338 - JasonAtari +47

17783 - Deteacher +46

16437 - HankR +45

15870 - RetroGoober +44

14240 - DarthKur +43

7525 - Jin +42

7270 - Lid +41

7250 - DrMooCowz +40

6920 - SBAZ +39

6475 - NovaStar +38

4855 - GType +37

3225 - Vocelli +36

3135 - 5x7 +35

3090 - AtariWarlord +34

3075 - Keilbaca +33

3030 - LaurenTyler +32

2955 - RoadRunner +31

2905 - JBlenkle +30

2555 - Lord Innit +29

2535 - Oyama +28

2420 - Atarian7 +27

2390 - AGB +26

2000 - Karok +25

1656 - RedMiller +24

1100 - ClassicGamer +23

10 - AbleMV +22

5 - Scrabbler +21

Overall Points

Remember The Top 24 will qualify for the Medal Bracket Challenge at the end of the season!

We are about half way there!

631 OldManG

511 Leto

500 Deteacher

477 Jin

468 Keilbaca

455 JasonAtari

453 Nads

445 OyamaFamily

442 Vocelli

433 JonesYY

433 SBAZ

400 Lord Innit

393 RetroGoober

359 AtariWarlord

351 HankR

342 Gtype

342 JeremiahJT

340 Dr Moocowz

330 LaurenTyler

330 NorthCoastGamer

328 NovaStar

323 KaeruY

320 AGB

316 Karok

313 Spriggy

311 AtariPacmanFan

295 Darthkur

279 Scrabbler

269 Spiceware

257 ClassicGamer

244 Atarian7

237 DrSpuds

231 RedMiller

217 GeorgeWashingtoad

216 Diamonds

208 Captain Classic

205 McMartin

183 AbelMV

179 MCCallister

179 MisterVCS

148 Roadrunner

131 MadDog1981

130 Jblenkle

122 Gorfy

111 Nathan Strum

98 Troff

97 Mangog

85 JeremiahK

64 5x7

64 BugCatcher

63 DarQM

62 RGC

56 Chavert

55 TheBjork

55 Youxia

54 Sdamon

49 CobraMJD

35 CX40Hero

33 Lid

23 Impaler

14 DJP

11 Eltigro

10 TigerS

6 MangiaBoy

1 Nikon

1 Toiletunes

Season 8 will have:

~ Activision Weeks

~ Request Weeks

~ 2 Paddle weeks

~ More popular games we all love

~ Ending with the 'Beat the Leaders' weeks.

This Season will last about 25 weeks.

The TOP 24 will qualify for the Medal Bracket Challenge!

By qualifying for the Medal Bracket Challenge you will automatically be entered into a drawing for PRIZES!

Gold Medal Bracket (Top 8 Players)

Random Drawing for $100 Gift Certificate for the AtariAge store

Silver Medal Bracket (Top 9-16 Players)

Random Drawing for $50 Gift Certificate for the AtariAge store

Bronze Medal Bracket (Top 17-24 Players)

Random Drawing for $25 Gift Certificate for the AtariAge store

Prizes donated by Spiggy.... Thanks Spriggy!

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 2

I will be out of town many times over the next 3 weeks. Updates will not be as often.

So... the homebrew weeks will give everyone a chance to enjoy the holidays AND order the games from the AtariAge Shop.

Being that not everyone has access to emulation.... I will be rethinking the Homebrew weeks in the future.

Enjoy these GREAT games and support the makers!

I agree that we need to keep things fair for players who don't have access to emulation/Harmony Cart, but playing homebrews in the HSC is a great way to introduce these games to players who might not otherwise know about them and I'd like to see homebrews continue to be part of the HSC. Maybe you could do either/or weeks that include a homebrew and a well-known game.

Similarly, would this require you to re-think including super-rare or even sorta-rare games? I don't think any of us own Mangia or Malagai and those have both been played in recent seasons. My collection is over 350 games but I still had to resort to emulation for a few games last season.

I agree that we need to keep things fair for players who don't have access to emulation/Harmony Cart, but playing homebrews in the HSC is a great way to introduce these games to players who might not otherwise know about them and I'd like to see homebrews continue to be part of the HSC. Maybe you could do either/or weeks that include a homebrew and a well-known game.

Similarly, would this require you to re-think including super-rare or even sorta-rare games? I don't think any of us own Mangia or Malagai and those have both been played in recent seasons. My collection is over 350 games but I still had to resort to emulation for a few games last season.

Great idea on the either/or idea for homebrew weeks.

I like to try new games and pick ones that have been overlooked.

I would love to buy more homebrew games, and I think the prices in the AA store are more than adequate. But man - shipping over the pond, plus customs, are a killer. There really needs to be a European distribution. End of general rant.

To the topic: Usually I do bad when emulating, but I don't mind using Stella at all. However, I do understand if people do not want or can not use it.

A little suggestion to alleviate the disadvantages those people have: lower the maximum points for homebrews and very rare games. That way, they don't lose too much in rankings by not playing, but we still can enjoy stuff we haven't played before.

I like to try new games and pick ones that have been overlooked.

A big part of the appeal of the HSC for me is that it gets me out of my game playing routines and makes me dig out games I haven't touched in years (like Gopher). I worry that trying to ensure that everyone can play every week without emulation will limit the game choices.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

Thanks for the 3 week slush play. Also thanks for the great home brew choices! I am as excited to play these games as I am dismayed to realize by how much I will beaten. I would also want to throw in my support for our great homebrews. There were a few weeks last HSC where had to choose which score to participate with the second game acting as a bonus. I would support this option for future homebrews and rare cart games.

I will be out of town many times over the next 3 weeks. Updates will not be as often.

So... the homebrew weeks will give everyone a chance to enjoy the holidays AND order the games from the AtariAge Shop.

Being that not everyone has access to emulation.... I will be rethinking the Homebrew weeks in the future.

Enjoy these GREAT games and support the makers!

I feel very strongly that homebrew stay!! If you can access the internet (which obviously you can if you are posting on the AtariAge website), you can access 95% of the homebrew games, just through your web browser. (That's exclusively how I've been participating these past 2 seasons)

Same here! I love playing homebrews in the HSC. There are still so many I've never tried, and I still find out about more which I've never heard of, and new ones coming out all the time. This is a great way to have a darn good testing-out of new games so I know which ones I would really love to have!

Also, I don't think there is anyone playing here who doesn't have access to emulation. To play in this HSC, one must have a computer of some sort (or at least occasional access to one), and at least occasional internet access of some kind. So therefore, (I think) this means access to emulation. To me the only thing stopping anyone from emulating, is a personal choice not to use emulation... which is fine, just the same as having a personal choice not to play a game one doesn't enjoy (even if they have it in their collection). Or a personal choice not to play paddle games, etc.

Some users here may not have paddle controllers. This seems to me much more limiting than not having the cartridge for a given game.

• Like 1

Happy holidays to you too Vocelli! I hope you have a great time traveling, and nice idea extending the holiday HSC time to 3 weeks with 3 seasonally appropriate homebrews. I've never played any of those games before but I'll be looking forward to plunking them on my Harmony cart and giving 'em a go. :)

As far as future HSC weeks go, I don't think there's any need to rethink the setup at all. As S.BAZ pointed out, if you have access to the internet at least occasionally (which is kind of a given if you're posting on this forum) then you have access to an emulator; and for those who prefer to play on real hardware you can get a Harmony cart for about the cost of two homebrew games so it's kind of a non-issue. If you have the money to buy the official homebrew carts then you've got the money to buy a Harmony cart that can play everything, and if you don't have the money for that then emulation is free and easily available to anyone with an internet connection.

Edited by Jin

Honestly, even though I have original hardware, I get lazy and resort to emulation just so I don't have to set it up. Oh, that and Cosmic Ark ate my joysticks (I've bought one replacement so far).

Who would really ever WANT to own Mangia aside from the collectors' value?

If you want to play more Homebrew games related to Christmas, there is another contest in progress whose deadline will end on December 31st, 2018.

It's 2018 Homebrew Tournament, with the game Stay Frosty 2 for Final Round. Can you defeat the Firebosses and save Santa Claus? It's an exciting 2600 game to celebrate this Holiday.

All participants in this High Score Club are invited to participate and post your scores at Homebrew Tournament Final Round (organized by LidLikesIntellivision).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285560-2018-homebrew-tournament-stay-frosty-2-final-round/

• Like 1

Honestly, even though I have original hardware, I get lazy and resort to emulation just so I don't have to set it up.

I do that sometimes too. I'm already at my computer to see what this week's games are, might as well just fire up Stella. And I've found there are a few games that I actually do better at using the arrow keys than a joystick.

Who would really ever WANT to own Mangia aside from the collectors' value?

I haven't touched it since we played it here a few years ago, but I didn't hate it. Once I figured out you could feed the dog plates faster than mom could penalize you, it kinda stopped being much of a challenge and just became a strangely colored exercise in pounding the space bar.

I definitely own worse games.

Reindeer Rescue - 113,350

Although there are NO bonus points for best tips (contrary to the OLD 2600 HSC Seasons organized by the moderator Ze_ro), you are encouraged to provide winning tips for those who are not familiar with Reindeer Rescue. In Stay Frosty 2 contest for 2018 Homebrew Tournament, I provided tips for better scores.

• Like 1