IGNORED

UA Limited Protos Released!

Albert

I haven't been taking time to post lately, but I've got to at least pop in to thank Albert and the gang for all the hard work.

These are definately some sweet looking boxes and games, I got to check them out slightly at Philly.

One question albert, have you considered printing some posters like the ones you had at Philly.. I'd definately purchase some if the price wasn't too high.

They looked really great, and made your setup at philly a big step above everyone else.

I haven't been taking time to post lately, but I've got to at least pop in to thank Albert and the gang for all the hard work.

These are definately some sweet looking boxes and games, I got to check them out slightly at Philly.

One question albert, have you considered printing some posters like the ones you had at Philly.. I'd definately purchase some if the price wasn't too high.

They looked really great, and made your setup at philly a big step above everyone else.

One question albert,  have you considered printing some posters like the ones you had at Philly.. I'd definately purchase some if the price wasn't too high.  

We have looked into poster production, but it's very expensive if you want to get them done right. Perhaps at some point in the future we'll get posters made, but right now we don't feel the demand would justify the large amount of cash we'd have to outlay up front to have them printed.

..Al

My frothing demand for the package from AtariAge to arrive increases. :D

Has anybody tested these games with a ColecoVision expansion module? I need to know if I should unplug my CV and move a 7800 or a 2600 out to the living room so I can appreciate the minty goodness of UA. :)

That reference went "whoosh" right over my head.

Nice seeing you around though, Brian.

JR

Sorry... I was replying to someone else's post (I forget who) and forgot to quote it. The post in question quoted Gretchen Goes To Nebraska-era King's X lyrics (their best album). I just added to them, then quoted another song. The lyrics were from a song called Pleiades. Now do you see the connection? :)

The second line I quoted was from the same album; a song called Fall On Me.

King's X, now there's a group I haven't heard from in years. In college my metalhead friend had several of their albums and thought they were incredibly underrated. They had one minor hit on MTV and I seem to remember the video was them all rocking out on the deck of a boat. I have to admit, their ish was pretty good.

What about it?

I thought it was still copyrighted (like the Starpath games). AFAIK the binary is not officially public available (though floating in the web, like the Starpath binaries or Ebivision's Merlin Walls).

But I just realized it is officially availble in the AA store. So I assume it must be legal. :)

I thought it was still copyrighted (like the Starpath games). AFAIK the binary is not officially public available (though floating in the web, like the Starpath binaries or Ebivision's Merlin Walls).

But I just realized it is officially availble in the AA store. So I assume it must be legal. :)

Yes, we worked out the rights to sell Swordfight and Sea Battle with Intellivision Productuctions. They even have a mention of the games in their latest newsletter. :)

..Al

Now I'm curious about what an AA "Top Ten" chart would look like. Looks like Pleaides was the top seller by one cart.

I wasn't sure what you meant at first, and then I realized you were looking at the pictures I posted. An equal number of carts was built, although they are off by one or two due to problems with individual carts as they were being assembled. Pleiades is the best selling game thus far, and is the only one that has been purchased individually. All the other UA sales (which is the vast majority) are comprised of the bundle of the three games together.

..Al

I know this is inviting ridicule and flames but am I the only person who seriously dislikes the artwork style used on these 3 UA releases.

IMHO if you are going to release old Prototypes/unreleased work

then the art should be in keeping with the age of the games and the orginal company designs.

While Daves new artwork is superb technically it just does not to ME represent the orgins and history of the games enough.

We know the UA games are tied in with the Emerson Arcadia and I'd like to have seen a similar art style used

- even using the Arcadia Funky Fish label would be better & 90% likely to have been the

artwork used if it was actually released anyway or even art from the Arcade version flyers would be better.

Both use similar imagery (Note the bubbles) :

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?age=flyerdb&s...e=thumbs&id=417

http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/arcadia...talog/page2.htm

Pleaides I don't have as big an issue with as the Arcade logo was actually used for the artwork.

I just think if you are going to repro. something like this then you should try for some level of historical accuracy.

*flame away* but I have intended this post as creative criticism.

Bob

I wasn't sure what you meant at first, and then I realized you were looking at the pictures I posted.

Yes, I thought that was the table of carts being sent out that day. I guess there aren't many Funky Fish arcade fans out there, although think this 2600 version is a lot of fun.

I just think if you are going to repro. something like this then you should try for some level of historical accuracy.

We discussed trying to use the original art (or at least trying to reproduce that style), but decided we wanted to create original art instead. Since UA never released any games for the 2600, there's no telling what they would have done in terms of the art. Would they have simply used the art from the Arcadia? Perhaps, perhaps not, there's no way to really know.

We decided that, in the case of these three games, if we were going to go through the trouble to create labels, manuals and boxes for them that we wanted to create new art in a consistent style. Since there was no precedent on the 2600 for the UA titles, that afforded us more of a blank slate than is typical of repros, since most repros are of unreleased games from companies that did release games (and in some cases, like Atari, many games) on the 2600. We wanted to create something unique, instead of just rehashing the Arcadia artwork, which would have certainly been the easier route.

For Arcadia collectors, I can see this as being more of an issue. But I'm guessing most people buying these titles do not know of their Arcadia heritage, although it is mentioned in the manuals for the games.

..Al

We decided that, in the case of these three games, if we were going to go through the trouble to create labels, manuals and boxes for them that we wanted to create new art in a consistent style. Since there was no precedent on the 2600 for the UA titles, that afforded us more of a blank slate than is typical of repros, since most repros are of unreleased games from companies that did release games (and in some cases, like Atari, many games) on the 2600. We wanted to create something unique, instead of just rehashing the Arcadia artwork, which would have certainly been the easier route.

For Arcadia collectors, I can see this as being more of an issue. But I'm guessing most people buying these titles do not know of their Arcadia heritage, although it is mentioned in the manuals for the games.

..Al

Albert - I appreciate your answer and I will admit that I am an Arcadia collector (theres what less than 10 of us?) so this does have a big influence on my opinion of these releases.

I do like the consistency of the design and layouts you have achieved across the 3 games but dislike the modern style of the artwork used when I feel there is ample orginal art of the correct era available for the games to use for the key images.

I also find it somewhat inconsistent that you have used the orginal arcade Pleadies title for one game but not the correct arcade title (see flyer) for the other?

bob

Archived