IGNORED

What is the Oldest TV set?

Rob Mitchell

What is the Oldest TV set on which you have played video games?

For me: It was the family TV console: 1966 Zenith color tube-based TV set. We played Atari on it from 1977 through 1983.

There was an old B/W TV in college (1980) .. maybe mid 1960s (didn't last very long).

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I played Night Driver on a black & white TV that was either 1960's or 70's once, when my parents were visiting some family friends and I was given free run of their Atari in the basement. That was some sweet sweet fun. Since all we had at home was Pong that may in fact have been the first time I ever played a "console" other than the in-store Sears display model running Pac-Man.

well, i did play on my parents old tv probably from the seventies, but that was back in 1985, during 1997 when i worked in the local salvage yard on my night shift i found some old parts from an old tube based sixties tv, so i took it home, rewired it and played my atari 2600 on it.

My Computer Space has a tube TV black and white GE television in it. Does that count? :)

Seriously, my parents (before they split) did the "take out a loan and buy a Sony" 19 inch TV in the mid 70's. My Mom used that TV until about 1990. Seriously was a great old-school TV. That was the only TV my 2600 was EVER hooked up to as a kid. I still remember the smell it made (that really cool electronic smell) after it was on for a while. Great memories.

For some reason, I also remember you could not put the system on top of the TV, because it would somehow interfere with the signal. Fuzzy screen or something like that.

Cassidy

I played my 2600 when I first got it on a late-60's model color console TV that used to belong to my grandparents.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can remember that there was always a "patch" of colored spots at the center of the screen for several seconds after switching the power off. Has anyone seen that on old TVs?

What causes that effect? That old technology brings back memories!

Who remembers having the old console stereo systems with the sliding wood panel doors over the top, covering the turntable and radio along with record storage? That old thing was about half the size of our dining room table.

In the early 80's we had a huge family reunion at my grandparents house. My cousins brought along their 2600 and we hooked it up to the old TV they had in the living room. I'm not sure how old the TV was, but it was in color and it was housed in an actual piece of furniture. The wood cabinet looked really nice--I guess that's why my grandparents kept it. It took up a ton of room as well.

Not long after we got set up, one of the tubes in the TV busted and every thing turned green. It looked just like one of those monochorome green-screen computer monitors. It was the first time I had played Demon Attack and I still spent hours with it. Later that year I was surprised by how colorful the game was when I finally got it. :D

When I moved up to my new place we lived in a kitchenet for a while. While trying to find a house to rent/lease/purchase. So we was given a 1979 19" Admiral color television. My wife didn't like it since some of the new movies in the vcr would make the picture role. Before that I would have to say the Curtis Matis (forgive spelling). Parent purchased that new. Don't remeber the year. Sometimes early 1980s to watch PBS of all things. Before that was a used 9" b/w television my mom said she had for 15 years nice printing of SOLID STATE on the front. Besides that we just purchased a new 27" television to replace the 2 year old 19" tv. I myself still living at home purchase a 13" color television. Later I pawned that for some money along with the vcr. Best item I ever purchased was a 20" timm. This unit was mfg. by Toshiba. VGA monitor, tv, and video monitor with svideo on it. Something new for the time. Nice $450.00 and that was at a discount from the store I worked at.

later,

Josh

My oldest TV is a 9 inch B/W TV. Don't remember the year, but got it in the seventies. It's cool cause the knobs let you tune in Pal games that wouldn't work on our '85 console TV.

I still have it and use it quiet regularly. When some friends are over we have lots of stuff hooked up at once and have a regular little arcade. :D

My main TV now is a 19 inch Sony sterio TV, it's very nice and even has that crappy built in fake surround sound (which surprised the heck out of me when I found out that really works) I paid only 160 for it (which is a lot for me with crappy hours and minumim wage) in 2000.

I may get a dolby surround sound thing sometime, but those are expensive for us poor folk.

Hey Big Player I think one of my friends has your ol TV. His only shows in shades of green also LOL :P

When I was a kid my Atari was hooked up to the massive console TV my parents bought right after they got married in 1968.

My 2600 is now hooked up to a TV we got in 1985. I just realized this TV is older than the console TV was back when I used it to play Atari!

Archived