IGNORED

NES Light Gun for HDTV

Razzie.P

Just now, 0078265317 said:

My hyperkin tomee zapper already works with my modified duckhunt cart.

Ahh, you're lucky then, I could not get any of the Tomee's to work on my TV.  I'm also wondering whether the components of this "new" HD blaster are the same as the old Tomee's?  If so, they I wouldn't even bother with it, myself.

7 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Added to wishlist. I am temped to try this on my AVS and 48" TCL TV.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

I wish the Tomee one was more stable, want to use it with my everdrive, but I keep seeing complaints how they're hit and miss.  Even then the reason why is sketchy, does it hate types of TVs or are they typical poor build Tomee junk so it's a luck grab?  Not that I think Hyperkin ever gets much right, outside of the SupaboyS/SFC they don't either, so I'd need to see proof someone got one of them solidly right.

19 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

16 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

That is cheap.  But since its duck hunt only I will pass.  I already found another solution.  And that red thing only works in top loaders.  Would be hard to get out of a toaster.  

16 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

15 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

The presumption is that the gun *should* work with the hacked roms via an Everdrive.

I ordered one. I'm a be the guinea pig and see if it works with the rom hacks on an AVS.

There exists a hacked version of "shoot the dog" Duck Hunt VS. If someone could rehack it to work with the Hyperkin Blaster, that would be the bees knees!

?????

• Like 2

So I have bad news, tried the Hyper Blaster HD and it doesn't work, same as with the Tomee's.  I tested it on my CRT first, and two of the three adjustment positions (on the gun) register a hit improperly.  One works fine.  Then moved to the Sony LCD, and it registers a hit no matter where i point on the screen.  I was testing with LCD modded roms on an Everdrive. 

Now your TV might work but it might not.  The supplied adapter ONLY works with a SMB/Duck Hunt cart, NOT the 3-gamer or standalone Duck Hunt.  Futhermore, it will NOT work on a standard front loading NES, only the top loader and the Retron HD.

Obviously, this is not much of a solution, and there's a good shot it will not even work for most people. 

13 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

So I have bad news, tried the Hyper Blaster HD and it doesn't work, same as with the Tomee's.  I tested it on my CRT first, and two of the three adjustment positions (on the gun) register a hit improperly.  One works fine.  Then moved to the Sony LCD, and it registers a hit no matter where i point on the screen.  I was testing with LCD modded roms on an Everdrive. 

Now your TV might work but it might not.  The supplied adapter ONLY works with a SMB/Duck Hunt cart, NOT the 3-gamer or standalone Duck Hunt.  Futhermore, it will NOT work on a standard front loading NES, only the top loader and the Retron HD.

Obviously, this is not much of a solution, and there's a good shot it will not even work for most people. 

Wait, what? Why does it not work on toasters? Is it the security chip?

Will this work with the modified nes roms?

17 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

A toaster will work.  Just pile 2 or 3 game genies together.  And then the red thing.  

Also my TCL tv is LED so maybe that is why it works.

Hyperkin were warned, they ignored it.  Had they used a better LED diode in the gun, I think it would have greatly increased compatibility.  My HDTV's are not new, they are several years old.  One is LCD, one is Plasma, neither work.  I tried fiddling with the delay value, but honestly, this is way too much of a nuisance for what it's worth. 

4 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Wait, what? Why does it not work on toasters? Is it the security chip?

Will this work with the modified nes roms?

I have to assume it's the chip, although my buddy disabled it, and it still would not work.  The modified roms should work; however, for that matter, you can get a Tomee gun for $5 and have the same results as this $25-$30 "HD" product.  It's believed they were going to delay the release for this reason, but wound up shipping them anyway.  I will report that my front loader works; however, it's not stock, it's got the RGB board installed, FWIW.

Edited by Greg2600

4 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Hyperkin were warned, they ignored it.  Had they used a better LED diode in the gun, I think it would have greatly increased compatibility.  My HDTV's are not new, they are several years old.  One is LCD, one is Plasma, neither work.  I tried fiddling with the delay value, but honestly, this is way too much of a nuisance for what it's worth. 

I have to assume it's the chip, although my buddy disabled it, and it still would not work.  The modified roms should work; however, for that matter, you can get a Tomee gun for $5 and have the same results as this $25-$30 "HD" product.  It's believed they were going to delay the release for this reason, but wound up shipping them anyway. 

Just to check have you tried going up to the tv like 2 inches away and see if it works?

When I was a kid I would cheat sometimes like that when it was too hard.

10 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

I have to assume it's the chip, although my buddy disabled it, and it still would not work.  The modified roms should work; however, for that matter, you can get a Tomee gun for $5 and have the same results as this $25-$30 "HD" product.  It's believed they were going to delay the release for this reason, but wound up shipping them anyway. 

Also are you saying the LED diode in this HD gun is no better than my cheap 7 dollar tomee zapper?  So no need to buy this just to see the difference?

Edited by 0078265317

5 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Just to check have you tried going up to the tv like 2 inches away and see if it works?

When I was a kid I would cheat sometimes like that when it was too hard.

Of course. 

2 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Also are you saying the LED diode in this HD gun is no better than my cheap 7 dollar tomee zapper?  So no need to buy this just to see the difference?

Yeah, why would they redesign the gun, it's Hyperkin?  The only reason the OEM Nintendo zappers don't work (with the modded roms) was the weaker diode.  I have to assume the 3-position switch on the gun, which is supposed to adjust to room lighting, likely reduces the voltage hitting the diode.  In any event, if my friend wishes to put the diode that Jon Riggs recommended, fine, but otherwise I'll keep on keeping on with my CRT.

5 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Of course. 

Yeah, why would they redesign the gun, it's Hyperkin?  The only reason the OEM Nintendo zappers don't work (with the modded roms) was the weaker diode.  I have to assume the 3-position switch on the gun, which is supposed to adjust to room lighting, likely reduces the voltage hitting the diode.  In any event, if my friend wishes to put the diode that Jon Riggs recommended, fine, but otherwise I'll keep on keeping on with my CRT.

But my tomee zapper does not have 3 positions.  Just a cheap gun and 1 trigger.  No other buttons.  So this HD zapper might be worth a try?  And my tomee zapper works but distance is not the best.  This HD zapper might be better?

14 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Well, this new one has 3 positions for light sensitivity.  That being said, with them on or off, the 3rd position was the only one that worked on my CRT. 

Sounds like a "give you a sense on control" gimmick when there really isn't one. I mean, their basically reselling a 1986 light gun as a new innovation.