IGNORED

DoctorSpuds Reviews Things - The St. Vinnie's Game Sale

RSS Bot

Over here in Madison we have a chain of thrift stores known as St. Vincent DePauls, St. Vinnie’s for short that has a big game sale every six months at one of their locations around the city, I have attended one previously and the one today, and as a collectors you all know how great it is to get good games for cheap. Sadly though, and I hate to admit it, but this St. Vinnie’s game sale was a bit of a bust. I arrived at 8:30, they opened at 9:00, in the freezing cold and wind only to see through the window that they only had a tiny stack of Atari 2600 games and even from a distance I could tell that they were just common Atari’s with a couple of Activision titles. I get over to them and my suspicions are confirmed, they’re all common titles, which I only found out later were priced at $5.50 per cart which is a huge markup from 6 months ago when they were sold indiscriminately for $2.50 apiece, nobody wants to pay $5.50 for Freeway are you crazy? There were no boxed Atari games or even NES games, and it seems a majority of the games were for the Wii, 360, and DS, which is to be expected. I still managed to find a few things though, I got a Light Sixer, power supply (Broken), standard Atari Joystick, and some Paddle controllers (completely fried judging by the smell) for 30 bucks. I didn’t have high hopes for the paddles or the power supply but the system cleaned up nicely and gives a nice clean signal so I might swap out the board on my Sears Heavy, which is getting a bit fuzzy. I met a nice guy there, I didn’t catch his name but is seems he was a fairly serious Atari collector as well since he had two in his cart, we chatted for a bit about how the previous sale was far better and he got a good laugh from my story about putting down a CIB Final Approach for Barnstorming. I just hope that subsequent sales have a bit more in them, or that St. Vinnie’s doesn’t let the employees grab the good stuff before the sale like they have done before, and quite obviously did here.

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-62222-0-40611500-1547060895_th

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/729/entry-15413-the-st-vinnies-game-sale/