IGNORED

Merge 3 Games

ivop

Hi!

Nice... not too much work, I think. ;)

Good thing about high level languages, changes like those tend to be easy.

Yes, they're very distinguishable in a single color. It's a great little bit of code for a ten liner + a little more.

The only thing about colors for a game like this is that you run out and have to start recycling after 4;

not too difficult for 6 pieces, if you make them look different enough, though.

The default colors look nice on NTSC, but they're not so great on PAL. Maybe you'd like to set up a table

for PAL? (more work :D )

I added following code:

if peek($d014) = 1
  ' PAL
  se. 0,3,8
  se. 1,11,10
  se. 2,8,6
  se. 3,14,14
else
  ' NTSC
  se. 0,4,8
  se. 1,12,10
  se. 2,9,6
  se. 3,2,14
endif
With those, I think the colors selected are similar enough on PAL/NTSC according to Altirra and my notebook display.

Here are a couple with some of the other patterns hacked in.

attachicon.gifjoyas7.xex

attachicon.gifjoyas7a.xex

attachicon.gifjoyas7.png

attachicon.gifjoyas7a.png

Thanks for all those, I don't know which border looks better, so I will keep the one I already had.

Attached is the game with PAL/NTSC selection.

joyas.xex

joyas.bas

• Like 2

Good thing about high level languages, changes like those tend to be easy.

Yeah, I know these are all simple changes. These would even be simple enough in machine language or whatever (since everything would already be set up in the existing code for the program).

I added following code:

if peek($d014) = 1
  ' PAL
  se. 0,3,8
  se. 1,11,10
  se. 2,8,6
  se. 3,14,14
else
  ' NTSC
  se. 0,4,8
  se. 1,12,10
  se. 2,9,6
  se. 3,2,14
endif
With those, I think the colors selected are similar enough on PAL/NTSC according to Altirra and my notebook display.

PAL/NTSC color tables are simple, which is why I can't understand why more people don't set up their programs with colors matched for NTSC and PAL.

I'm not really a fan of the "Setcolor" command. I always just poked the hex values (easy in TBXL) into the color registers.

The first number of the hex value is the "hue" and the second value is the "luminance". So it's quite convenient to work that way.

Thanks for all those, I don't know which border looks better, so I will keep the one I already had.

Attached is the game with PAL/NTSC selection.

The colors looked pretty well matched. :thumbsup:

I probably should have waited, as you're changing these as quickly as I hand them to you. But it's easy to alter the patterns. So, I'll add the

others patterns to this last version too.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

You have to add an option, "Change Border Type using the <OPTION> key (or whatever)". ;)

[Edit: Maybe this is where dmsc bails out (simple program starts to get complicated :D ).

Edited by MrFish

Hi!

You have to add an option, "Change Border Type using the <OPTION> key (or whatever)". ;)

[Edit: Maybe this is where dmsc bails out (simple program starts to get complicated :D ).

Yes, at least for the sample in the FastBasic distribution (it is already there: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/blob/master/samples/int/joyas.bas) I think that will be too much.

But I think I will implement it, perhaps with a "difficulty level" or "game type" option - like turn based v/s time based, or different scoring modes...

Attached is the "changing border" version. I also changed the "exit" key to OPTION and allowed to start with BUTTON or START.

joyas.bas

joyas.xex

Edited by dmsc
  • Like 1

But I think I will implement it, perhaps with a "difficulty level" or "game type" option - like turn based v/s time based, or different scoring modes...

It'd be nice to have some game type selections.

Attached is the "changing border" version. I also changed the "exit" key to OPTION and allowed to start with BUTTON or START.

Nice!

The button doesn't seem to be working for starting.

Here's an idea for the title screen. The little arrow would be used for optional joystick control for

all function, which is something gamers like to have (no reaching for console keys).

post-6369-0-19138800-1548090676_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi!

It'd be nice to have some game type selections.

I implemented three game types, one counting moves, one with time and one with both ("hard").

There are three numbers in the last line now, the score, the moves/time left, and the total game time in seconds. Note that time stops during fall of pieces.

Also, I skipped the points gained from the initial position, trying to make the game more balanced.

Nice!

The button doesn't seem to be working for starting.

Yes, that was a typo. Attached version is fixed.

Here's an idea for the title screen. The little arrow would be used for optional joystick control for

all function, which is something gamers like to have (no reaching for console keys).

attachicon.gifjoyas selection (scaled).png

Looks great. Do you have that font as a binary file?

joyas.xex

joyas.bas

• Like 4

I implemented three game types, one counting moves, one with time and one with both ("hard").

There are three numbers in the last line now, the score, the moves/time left, and the total game time in seconds. Note that time stops during fall of pieces.

Good idea. I haven't been able to play it much yet, but I'll be checking it out more, soon.

One thing I did notice, though, is that, with that much information, things start to become

cryptic. When you're playing a game, you need to get your information quickly, especially

when a timer starts getting involved; and with that, I say it's time to jack up the display list

with a couple lines of Antic Mode 2. You'll be able to get all the information and more

down there, and it will be much easier for people to understand what they're looking at.

Also, I skipped the points gained from the initial position, trying to make the game more balanced.

You just deleted one of the parts I liked best about the game. :( Seriously, I like the idea

of the random draw at the beginning. The funny thing about it is that, even starting with a

really high initial score (sometimes over 100 pts.), I still wasn't able to match the scores I

got with a nominal starting score.

But, I like the idea of playing without any initial score too. So, maybe another option? :P

Looks great. Do you have that font as a binary file?

Actually, I think the main style in that font is the same as one I created for The Last Word,

word processor. So, I'll check it out, and make whatever little modifications need to be made.

The font for the "Joyas" logo is different than the lower text; so, those characters should just

be made out of some other free characters in the font.

-----------------------------------------

At this point, I think it might be a good idea to open up another thread -- if we'll be

continuing with things. I'm sure ivop doesn't mind seeing a game like he was requesting

being developed before his eyes; but it should probably have it's own thread.

• Like 1

At this point, I think it might be a good idea to open up another thread -- if we'll be

continuing with things. I'm sure ivop doesn't mind seeing a game like he was requesting

being developed before his eyes; but it should probably have it's own thread.

I don't mind it here, but a separate thread might be handy for future reference.

I do like this version though!