IGNORED

Kung Fu Combat (W.I.P) 2600 (ASM (4K for now))

easmith

see most recent post for latest file

ASM 4k 2 player:

Controls:

jump up up

jump forward ( in direction facing only) diagonal UP ( in direction facing)

punch button +forward

high kick button + diagonal UP (in direction facing)

low kick button + diagonal down ( in direction facing)

walk left left

walk right right

change facing direction down ( can only punch,kick or jump in direction facing)

scoring : punch = 3 , high kick or jump kick = 1, low kick = 2

TV Type color = player positions reset after score

TC type B&W = players remain in position and keep fighting after score

post-63151-0-58588000-1547751653_thumb.jpg

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

I added the following:

-- Sound when player is hit

--- now the moves are worth different points:

punch = 3 pts ( you have to be close to opponent)

high kick = 2 pts

low kick = 1 pt

jump kick = 1 pt

I think I will stop now for a while . I would appreciate feedback if anyone is able to play against someone else !

• Like 1

Nice, this reminds me of International Karate on the C64. This looks promising so far.

I didn't have a change to play against two players though.

A few suggestions:

- Add sound effects for kicks and punches. And a special one for if you actually hit your opponent and score a point.

- Add animation (this would make moving left/right more realistic)

- Add AI so you can play this in single player mode.

Keep up the good work!

I added some sounds for moves. Also centered the players vertically a bit more.

I also added a "fight to death mode " where the player positions do not reset after a score. This is done by setting TV type to B&W.

I was able to play against a coworker today for a bit. I think it plays pretty well. It was pretty fun. It took him a minute to get the moves down , but once he did the gameplay seemed pretty good.I hope a few people will give this a chance even though it is 2 player.

I have tried to post a decent screen shot or video, but none do it justice , because the players being drawn on alternate frames.

Edited by easmith
  • Like 2

My suggestion, you probably can switch from .dodraw to fixed height tables. That way you can have all 4 1pixel height mobile objects with multicolor on one scanline screen without flickering. You can use a table for the missile too. Just fill the player GRP0 GRP1 first before missiles(those usually ok.).

2 1pixel .dodraw sprites isn't possible for me, so I went 2 pixels, or 3 pixel multicolor for the sprite. A lot of game that have "place player anywhere" are usually 2 pixel high. Those have fixed height have higher sprite resolution.

post-24767-0-04870900-1548205284.gif

There's several kernels. The kernel between the mountain the hole is the 2 pixel height for the 2 enemies and a missile from the player. In the hole above the hole, is fixed height kernel. It has multicolor background color, 1 pixel height players and missile. I used reposition routines and hmove in the dark green part between those 2 kernals.

1 pixel with multicolor .dodraw would be possible if you're using 256 byte table for the sprite/missile image. Have image with mostly 00. Cookie Monster I believe uses this technique. No need to have the karate player to jump that high. You can probably use a crane or roundhouse kick move with holding fire and up. Maybe use a short hop to dodge a sweep kick. I think this method would work better.

This game is looking better than the original Karate that came out for the system. Hopefully my advice will help you. I can provide source code via PM if you want. Good luck.

Edited by Kiwi