IGNORED

Co-op looters and shooters

Ninjabba

I've been trying to find a worthy successor for my Borderlands 2 addiction, but so far haven't found much that lives up to my expectations. Somehow I can't get tired of Borderlands 2, playing through the whole game + all DLC for the third time I still get a lot of joy out of it, but I can't excite my friends with this anymore.

I had some exciting moments playing The Division, but it became a drag quickly after the main campaign ended. The grind was too much to continue the game. The fact there were no different classes to play with gave it zero replayability as well.

Could enjoy Destiny 2 main campaign moderately, but it was short and its endgame content is dissapointing. I haven't touched the expansion, but I wouldn't pay full price for this when the main game is underwhelming to start with.

I've played some Warframe as well, and although I do enjoy the game (the size of it is crazy) there's something missing for me to get me drawn in + it plays way too fast for my taste sometimes. Can't beat free though.

I'm eye-balling Anthem now but am reminded about my experience with Destiny 2 and The Division and I try to keep expectations low.

Anything else on the market that I'm overlooking?

Funnily enough, the hard part is finding something that matches all three tags successfully!

If you pick 2 of the 3, you can find quite a bit. I was going to suggest the other Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, but then I decided to find a list online and see if any names rang a bell.

I hand picked a few from games I've at least played and will suggest based on what it sounds like you want.

Battleborn - Honestly this got trashed pretty quick, but it seems to be a lot of the style and gameplay of Borderlands. Problem is the game kinda got dropped and unsure how playable it is at this time (IE servers might be gone). I mean it's going to at least be super cheap?

Dead Island - This is probably a bit closer to what you want. I played through the first one and honestly don't remember much of it. It was fun enough, but it's probably going to pale in comparison to Borderlands.

Bulletstorm - There's not much loot element to it, but I would like to say that I had a lot of fun with it. Very unique shooter with interesting weapons and strategies. Not much for loot here though...but it fits the other two categories!

As far as what I found on random sites with lists, I'll mention these two but add that I have little to no experience with them!

RAGE - Not sure about loot in it, but it's got the other two? Always sounds fun but I've never taken the time to play it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series - Another one I've heard about but have had very little time with. It's a post apocalyptic setting but I believe it meets all the qualifications?

Thanks for the suggestions! Funnily enough I finished bulletstorm two weeks ago, its more of a run & gunner.

I played Dead Island som years ago and indeed closest to what I look for, but doesn't have the same vibe as Borderlands, its very melee oriented. Good game though.

I don't think Stalker or Rage is co-op but going to have a look. I played the first Stalker heavily and read something about coop mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Love and second the dead island series. You already mentioned borderlands, have you tried the handsome collection? Bonus props that it can be played cooperatively on a single system, super rare in today's world.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I think the best have been covered :(

• 2 weeks later...

The Handsome Collection is pretty much the reason I started to ask around.. I own it and I've played through most of it on the PS4 after I finished all of it on the PC as well. I'm a huge addict of the series, but I can't interest my friends I play regular with online to play "such an old game".

For some reason when I play games like Destiny/Division/Warframe, I notice its somehow lacking in either story/content or they have the most ridiculous grind imaginable to push you into microtransactions and I quickly loose interest. This was never the case with Borderlands2 and the Pre-sequel

Its a shame Gearbox wasted time on Battleborn instead of BL3... reading about the state of the company doesn't give me much trust in ever seeing BL3 as they are tied up in lawsuits.

However, they did release BL2 VR! Maybe its time to visit Pandora yet another time, but this time in full VR :)

I was addicted to Planetside 2 for some months, to the point I had to just quit it because I'm not 16 anymore with oodles of free time. It's a real FPS, without modern sillines like raids and all these grind-or-pay BS. Yeah, it's F2P and surely you need to spend some time to get better gear but it's nowhwere near the crackhead-design template like the ones you mentioned. It's possible to have fun and be competitive right from the get go and after a month or 2 you will have all the more advanced mods too.

You can play co op because there are advanced squad options. It's also like nothing else out there, with massive air-armor-troop battles counting hundreds of players....has to be seen to be believed.

I always though Dead Island was a poor cousin of Dying Light. This is the real deal, I think the newer one has coop too,

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that Anthem is definitely not what I was hoping for when I started this thread, though I set my expectations correctly and I'm still having fun with it.

Some weird design choices were made, making it a bit of a funky experience when you start the game the first time:

- With the first mission outside of the tutorials you are instantly thrown into the matchmaking mechanism.. you might be able to set it to private, but at that point I didn't know the option was there. Basically it will team you up with some folks that know the mission inside out. If you get behind their schedule because, you know, you want to discover a bit yourself, you'll be prompted with a warning that you're outside of the mission area and will be thrown into it with a load screen if you are not in time. Ugh. Once you figure out you can create private sessions this issue is gone though.

- Playing it on the PS4 I've encountered some severe crashes that even turned off the PS4 completely.. a real mess that EA/Bioware is looking into right now. I'm optimistic they will solve it.

Overall I hope it'll receive some kick ass updates and I can see myself playing it for a good amount of hours. Taking out the Javelin and fly around feels really good.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that! I'm also one of those suckers that is really hoping that a 'Handsome Collection'-type set is coming to the Switch as well.

Yes... I'm on of 'those guys' that'd buy those damn games again for my Switch, lol.