IGNORED

Enabling music & sound FX mixing within Jaguar Doom source.

DEATH

While I will say that this excites me, it kind of pisses me off knowing that Atari and ID just really dropped the ball with this port. Knowing that during the Jag's prime years I could have been playing arguably the best console version of Doom, in the 90s with music, would have been incredible. With that said, it's cool to know that I will be finding myself enjoying this game all over again with Pro Controllers and Music at some point in the future! ? 

Some truly bad ass wizardy-like effort in getting this working!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

Awesome work. I do believe Carmack said that he could have gotten music working or better performance on the Jag if he had more time. But it wasn't Carmack that got it done. It was CyranoJ. Finishing the job.

I think Carmack could have fixed the network bug too if Atari didn't rush him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

While I will say that this excites me, it kind of pisses me off knowing that Atari and ID just really dropped the ball with this port. Knowing that during the Jag's prime years I could have been playing arguably the best console version of Doom, in the 90s with music, would have been incredible. With that said, it's cool to know that I will be finding myself enjoying this game all over again with Pro Controllers and Music at some point in the future! ? 

Some truly bad ass wizardy-like effort in getting this working!

I completely agree that this was just lazy on the part of ID and Atari back in the day before its release to market that they didn't take the time to give this port proper attention & care to optimize tge code to get everything working as this updated version of the game from CJ proves was always possible.  This was just disrespectful and wrong to Atari Jaguar fans and customers to release the game in this in such a substandard & incomplete state as they did just to save time, money and effort.  I never bought the BS that the Jaguar wasn't capable of producing music with this game due to Jaguar hardware limitations as some other trollish AA forum member argued with me last year in a rude & condescending way as opposed to a civil discussion (someone has egg on their face now and it isn't me).  Not going to say any names but this vindicates and validates my belief that this was always possible as it is well know that many programmers wrote sloppy code because of the difficulties of Jaguar game programming and lack of support from the Atari Corporation of Tramiel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

I completely agree that this was just lazy on the part of ID and Atari back in the day before its release to market that they didn't take the time to give this port proper attention & care to optimize tge code to get everything working as this updated version of the game from CJ proves was always possible.  This was just disrespectful and wrong to Atari Jaguar fans and customers to release the game in this in such a substandard & incomplete state as they did just to save time, money and effort.  I never bought the BS that the Jaguar wasn't capable of producing music with this game due to Jaguar hardware limitations as some other trollish AA forum member argued with me last year in a rude & condescending way as opposed to a civil discussion (someone has egg on their face now and it isn't me).  Not going to say any names but this vindicates and validates my belief that this was always possible as it is well know that many programmers wrote sloppy code because of the difficulties of Jaguar game programming and lack of support from the Atari Corporation of Tramiel.

Um...

No not really. Deadlines.  Limited debugging.  Crap support and documentation from Atari.  

There is NOTHING sloppy about the code in Jaguar Doom, and you are forgetting that at the time it was the only 16bit colour home version with improved light sourcing and a very playable frame rate.  They dropped the ball on the music, but hey - what we got was FANTASTIC.  Just because I've got the music working now in no way detracts from what we got then.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Um...

No not really. Deadlines.  Limited debugging.  Crap support and documentation from Atari.  

There is NOTHING sloppy about the code in Jaguar Doom, and you are forgetting that at the time it was the only 16bit colour home version with improved light sourcing and a very playable frame rate.  They dropped the ball on the music, but hey - what we got was FANTASTIC.  Just because I've got the music working now in no way detracts from what we got then.

This.
For those thinking the Jaguar port was sloppy, just look at the 32X one. 

I'm eager to play CyranoJ's fixed version since in my book it will be the ultimate Doom experience, given the CRY coloring. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Um...

I agree and did state those as reasons that things played out as they did back in the day with the port of Doom to the Jaguar.  As for the part about the code I'm basing that off of statements said to have been made by Jonh Carmack in an interview about Jaguar Doom.  I agree still that what we got at the time was amazing but it could have been so much more if it had music like all the other Doom ports on others consoles which were of lesser graphical quality.  I'm just delighted that your efforts and talents all these years after its release has yeilded the version of Doom that the Jaguar was truly deserving of.

Edited by Tidus79001

When you look back at how the Saturn, 32X and 3DO were treated when it came to receiving conversions of Doom, we were among the lucky ones back then. 

Sure, Jaguar Doom could of been much more and Carmack himself has made no bones about it, but as he and others have already said he was coding a product in the commercial environment of that time.

He converted Doom to the Jaguar rather than wrote it from the ground up for the hardware and Atari needed it out whilst there was still a viable commercial Jaguar market out there.

I.D have said the sales for it and Wolfenstien were sadly well below what they expected and that ended Jaguar development. 

I'm probably a bit biased as i never really missed the PC MIDI music in Jaguar Doom.

It was not until the Playstation version that I found the game had a soundtrack that really enhanced the atmosphere. 

Having the game running in a higher resolution etc would of been nice, but Jaguar Doom as it was, literally was a flagship title for the much maligned console.

Anywho, this thread is about the absolutely stunning work done here to improve on the framework laid down by I.D.

I don't really follow the Jaguar scene these days other than to read new interviews and see what talented people are still getting out of the hardware and you just have to respect what's being done here.

My (sun) hat is doffed very much in the direction of all those involved who have made this happen.

Outstanding work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Um...

Well said CJ

8 hours ago, Barone said:

This.
For those thinking the Jaguar port was sloppy, just look at the 32X one. 

I'm eager to play CyranoJ's fixed version since in my book it will be the ultimate Doom experience, given the CRY coloring. 

Or the 3DO version. Probably the most capable machine competing with the jaguar.   https://kotaku.com/heres-why-the-3do-port-of-doom-sucked-1671138312

Edited by gbennett0321

4 hours ago, gbennett0321 said:

Or the 3DO version. Probably the most capable machine competing with the jaguar.   https://kotaku.com/heres-why-the-3do-port-of-doom-sucked-1671138312

Off-topic a bit but there is a guy I'm following on Twitter & YouTube that is trying to improve the 3DO version, he's made some interesting progress.  Look for Optimus6128.

• Like 4

Quick update:

We (The Elite Jaguar Doom Modding Crew who are Not At All Winging It)...

• went back and verified that the base source code is stable (it is)
  • added the panel mod and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added the music mod, remapped the ROM, increased the space for the IWAD and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added strafe and remapped the weapons and map because 4 and 6 are now the shoulders (in testing)

Once we're happy with this, onto the network code :)

HELL ON EARTH.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Quick update:

We (The Elite Jaguar Doom Modding Crew who are Not At All Winging It)...

• went back and verified that the base source code is stable (it is)
  • added the panel mod and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added the music mod, remapped the ROM, increased the space for the IWAD and verified it is stable (it is)
  • added strafe and remapped the weapons and map because 4 and 6 are now the shoulders (in testing)

Once we're happy with this, onto the network code :)

HELL ON EARTH.

Amazing work CJ!  Your contributions to the Atari Jaguar scene are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1