IGNORED

800 Plastic Piece Attached to Power Board.

DavidMil

I thought that was supposed to be a separate piece, it comes off when I take my 800 apart and it stays in place perfectly fine when I put it back together. Just like the side part on my 1200XL. I see no reason to have it attached to the power board and it never even occurred to me that it was supposed to be. :?

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to it when I was disassembling and reassembling the case. Mine stays right where it should without problem when my 800 is completely assembled... :?

Is there possibly different 800 revisions that don't have it attached to the power board and mine is just such a revision? My 800 is an earlier one that came with a CTIA and the easy-turn latches for card access instead of just screws.

Edited by Gunstar

Well I guess mine lost the plastic clips long ago and I never noticed or was made concerned since it seems to be in place and not going anywhere without them. To me, it will make it easier to do repairs to the board, if need be, without it attached and in the way.

Edited by Gunstar

Wow - I did not know that panel was supposed to be attached. Course, I've only opened one 800 when I got my Incognito years back so not like I have much experience with them. It must have been an old model, because it has the thumb screws for the RAM cover, and all RAM cards were cased. It did however (unfortunately) have a GTIA in it.

Maybe this would also be good to secure the SIO jacks to 1050/XF551 PCB's?

No, I believe that a solid, tight mounting is required. Plastic clips will still allow the SIO connector to move.

Nuts and bolts are better. I suggest metal vs nylon. Tighten reasonably. Make it tight, but don't crush the plastic or crack the board. Use Star type lockwashers.

• Like 1

I used metal screws that filled the holes edge to edge and used lock tight, ever watch a friend try to pop rivet one and crack the pcb?

as long and the nylon goes edge to edge and is loc-tite on head pan and nut plane it should still hold and not move

That's good that the SCREW perfectly fills the HOLE, but does Loc-Tite stick to nylon?

blue or purple never red... nylon does a great job all on it's own so as not to loosen bu the loc-tite keeps things from sliding where the connect touches the pcb and the nut and head touch the pcb and connector...

loc-tite is best used for all that and is primarily used to thread lock the metal screw and nut... locking washers tend to chew stuff up or sit unevenly... I use a flat washer on the nut side to prevent damage in some cases...

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 year later...

Just beware that using nylon screws and washers to hold parts will cause some people to completely lose their shit and accuse you of using substandard parts or something equally idiotic. You wouldn’t believe the uproar from two or three folks when I used them on my 1088XEL and XLD builds to support the SIO ports. :)

• Haha 2