IGNORED

atari games in the sun

afiresevenfold

I found a whole box full of atari games at a flea market for pretty cheap, but they are sitting directly in the sun, and being black, you can dang near iron clothes with them. I was just curious if anyone has an experience with prolonged exposures to the sun and if you think it would be a good idea to buy them or not. any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Well if non of the carts melted and the whole box or games are the right price. Not worth picking up a few you want. I seem to clean stickers off using a hair dryer. I remeber getting one case so hot. I burned myself and the game worked just fine.

Later,

Josh

Give them a line: "Hey, these carts are in the sun and are so hot! Who knows whether they work or not! I'll give you $0.50 each .. "

Grab the bunch. Test them out. If any are nonfunctional after cleaning the PCB, sell them to Atariage for $0.50 each. No loss!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

They should be fine. Just sitting in the sun is unlikely to damage an Atari cartridge. They are very durable and can withstand a lot of abuse. I've come across carts that suffered a lot worse than that and still worked.

Although, as said, their overall condition - probably having sun-bleached labels - can help you argue for a good price. Buy 'em all, buy just the ones you want, whatever.

They should be fine. Just sitting in the sun is unlikely to damage an Atari cartridge. They are very durable and can withstand a lot of abuse. I've come across carts that suffered a lot worse than that and still worked.

I read somewhere on the web about this guy who went and tested just *how* much abuse an Atari cart could take...everything dropping the cart out of a 4 storey window, backing over it with a Jeep, magnetism, boiling, freezing.....long story short the casing was completely destroyed, but the ROM still worked....man, what a fun afternoon THAT must have been!! :)

I've never had problems with Atari carts getting hot, rain, stomped, whatever. The case may be ruined, and the lables may fade, but the cart useualy works anyways.

I thought about doing some stress tests. Some stuff like microwaving, dropping, and crushing carts. I could do that I guess, just out of curiosity to see what you can do to it.

Archived