IGNORED

Atari 822 parts/paper

slx

I know this is a long shot given the scarcity of the machine, but would welcome any hints on where to get paper for the 822 other than Best.

The 822 I got on EBay does not come with the paper spindles. The previous owner probably discarded them with the last roll of paper :mad: Any ideas what they look like or, even better, anyone who has them and could take measurements?

Thanks for any help!

Found the paper at both Best and Myatari but still looking for the paper spindles,

Atari part Atari CO16005 spring-loaded paper bearings for Atari 822 printer

I suppose these go into the core of the paper roll.

Has anyone here even seen those and would maybe even able to post a picture and/or measurements?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My 822 does not have a spindle for the paper roll too. But it works fine without it.

post-6711-0-82995100-1550411408.jpg

The thermal paper is about 11.2 cm wide. When I google for 11.2 wide thermal paper, I get a lot of hits. A.o. (here in The Netherlands): https://www.lekkerpinnen.nl/thermorollen-112x30x12.html

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Okay so the one I have here in the office is missing the spindle.

I have another boxed in the archive room I will get out, I have another I know is in a storage case down in the workshop boxed and I have one other in long term storage.

The one here in the office surprisingly is also missing a spindle and it works fine without it but it is better to have one anyway.

I will get the one out of the archive room and get exact dimensions on it.

Most likely you can buy a dowel at Home Depot or Lowes or order a plastic shaft from online and just cut and insert it as a replacement

post-23-0-54507100-1550418554_thumb.jpeg

post-23-0-57035700-1550418587_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I'm trying to bring an 822 printer back to life.  It is printing, but not advancing the paper.  It appears that whatever is supposed to "pinch" the paper is missing.  Can someone take a photo of that area of the printer?  It has debris of what looks like an O ring.  Are there supposed to be multiple O rings on the roller that advances the paper?  The stepper motor seems to function, but it looks like I need to glue the paper advance roller so that the stepper motor will actually turn it.  Right now it is completely loose and turns in the plastic part.  Thanks!

yes an O ring or two, or 4 will get the job done. if the plastic collette has cracked or stripped you can use a metal one or go with glue. Glue yield varying results. Many people have used a single o ring in the center in the past, if you put it on the left or the right it might slip on one side and not the other making the paper wiggle and your lines will be off. So use it in the center or put a couple on the left and the right.

I tried an O ring on each side, then center but the best result was on the left side.  As you said the paper is wiggling a bit so I have have to pull the paper tight while printing to get it to print straight.  Probably more experimentation is in order, but it is feeding and printing which is really more than I expected when I started working on it.😀  This printer looks ancient and a little worse for the wear!  The stepper motor seemed bound up at first.  It helped a lot to loosen the mounting screws on the stepper motor so that it could move a little, which made the paper feed much easier.  I've wanted one of these forever because it does not require ink or ribbon.  I want to use it to print the contents of all of my Atari and other hobby boxes and tape the printout to the boxes so that when the contents change I have not written on the box.  I haven't created a database of spare parts, so this helps that problem just a little.  A bit of a silly project, but I love to put my Atari hardware to good use.  

IMG_0837.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeatari said:

.  I want to use it to print the contents of all of my Atari and other hobby boxes and tape the printout to the boxes so that when the contents change I have not written on the box.

Does anyone have long-time experience with 822 printout? A lot of cash register thermal paper fades into illegibility after a few years. That wouldn‘t beat forgetting what‘s in the boxes on your own ;-)

• Like 1