IGNORED

SatanDisk vs. UltraSatan boot

Ute

I've recently purchased a SatanDisk and installed the drivers. When powered on initially the Atari/TOS doesn't recognize the SatanDisk, until a reset is performed and then it will recognize and boot from the SatanDisk. After talking with the creator of my particular version and friend who owns another version, I've come to understand this is normal behavior for the SatanDisk.

Is this normal for the UltraSatan or will it boot up when first powered on?

For the UltraSatan you turn it on and let it boot before powering the ST. Maybe wait a few minutes after powering the SatanDisk.

That's not correct explanation. Boot means booting computer from some storage - what may be floppy, hard disk - ergo, it must be turned on, and performed initial tests, init HW ports . What UltraSatan does after it's power on is just detection of inserted SD cards. That takes couple seconds, and that's why is better to turn on it first.

I think that I have solution for Satandisk, what will make it to boot without extra reset. And that needs some smaller extra code in TOS .But I can not test it, because I don't have Satandisk now. Probably will be tested soon, when I send my improved TOS to Satandisk users. And yes, that will work only with modded TOS, no other way, it seems.

Yes, I would like to try out a modded TOS, it would have to be the 6 chip version.If I understand your website correctly I can get a TOS 2.06 combined with improved 1.04 for the regular 1040ST?

Yes. But in case of ST, Mega ST it needs little + HW logic in computer, because 2.06 is longer (mostly because better Desktop), and on different address. And would need 8 32 KByte chips (256 KB) - what is not possible to place and price would be high too. It goes in 2 128 Kbyte (1 Mbit) chips, what means that need expanding 28 pin sockets to 32 pin ones.

Like as on first pic here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/flashest.php

Added 32 pin sockets between existing ones and EPROM chips. And need to solder wires to those +4 pins. All it is not that hard.

There was a small AUTO folder program that would reset the computer

after a use definable length of time - can't remember it's name - you might

be able to use that...

Woudn't that result in an endless reboot cycle?

I mean you could put that in the AUTO folder of the floppy disk. The ST would boot that, wait and then reboot. But even with the SATAN now recognized, isn't the ST going to prefer the floppy disk's boot folder to the one of the hard disk?

I guess I am unclear on how this solves the problem of the SATAN only being recognized after the first reset following a cold start.

Well I had hoped I would not have to modify the motherboard. What about a 6 chip version of a SatanDisk Modded 1.04 ?

I'm out of my current stock of 27C256 EPROMs - which are for 6 chip TOS upgrade. Will order this days new quantity, and that will need some time to arrive.

Doing only Satandisk mod in TOS 1.04 is not much good idea, I guess you may want improved 1.04 with all goodies.

Currently working on couple supporting programs and manual - latest needs plenty of time too.

Woudn't that result in an endless reboot cycle?

I mean you could put that in the AUTO folder of the floppy disk. The ST would boot that, wait and then reboot. But even with the SATAN now recognized, isn't the ST going to prefer the floppy disk's boot folder to the one of the hard disk?

I guess I am unclear on how this solves the problem of the SATAN only being recognized after the first reset following a cold start.

I will make simple floppy (image) with some code in it's bootsector, what should assure that Satandisk autoboot at first, without need for reset. Will post here soon. Then just need little testing - I don't have Satan for it.