IGNORED

Atari 825 with TRS-80

sm3

I was thinking of picking up one of the new old stock Centronics printers that Best Electronics still has for sale for use with my Atari 800.

Anyone ever try to use it with a TRS-80? I assume it should work, they are just rebranded Centronics printers, but I could be wrong.

The TRS-80 is slightly unusual in that it only sends carriage return to mark the end of a printed line.

Back in 1981 or so we got an Epson MX-70 for our Model III and were distressed to see it overstriking the same line over and over when we LLIST'ed a BASIC program.

Turns out Epson had anticipated this and all we needed to do was change a jumper inside the printer.

Take a quick peek in the manual to see if the printer you're looking at has that capability. Should say something about only requiring Carriage Return to start a new line rather than the usual Carriage Return and Line Feed.

I'd think line printers up until the mid-eighties would have retained the feature but I don't really know.

• Like 1

The TRS-80 is slightly unusual in that it only sends carriage return to mark the end of a printed line.

Back in 1981 or so we got an Epson MX-70 for our Model III and were distressed to see it overstriking the same line over and over when we LLIST'ed a BASIC program.

Turns out Epson had anticipated this and all we needed to do was change a jumper inside the printer.

Take a quick peek in the manual to see if the printer you're looking at has that capability. Should say something about only requiring Carriage Return to start a new line rather than the usual Carriage Return and Line Feed.

I'd think line printers up until the mid-eighties would have retained the feature but I don't really know.

Hi George, thanks, I will probably end up getting it anyway for my Atari 800 even though I have an 820 ;)

Who knows how many of these he has left there. Just wanted to ask here first in case someone already tried it.