IGNORED

Sega Power Base Adapter question

So, I'm looking for a Sega Power Base Adapter to play SMS carts on my Genesis, and I seem to hear that there is an often-missing screw that helps hold the unit in place on the Genesis. Is it possible to use the unit without this screw, if I can't find one that includes it?

My power base converter game in a box but the screw was missing. It works just fine. Fit snug on the genesis. Keep in mind you need the original Genesis or genesis I. It is possible to play the power base converter on the genesis II if you pull the board out of the case. I read in england their was a power base II? that would allow you to plug it into the Genesis II. The genesis 3 does not work with the power base. As for games. I read two games needed to have the original Master System controller. I have not ran into these games yet. So I couldn't tell you if that is true or not. I asume it is. Also it will not work on top of the 32x adaptor. :( I tried. Thought it would be cool since it did fit. So I had to search around for a genesis one.

Later,

Josh

Yes the Power Base adapter has a card slot so you can use the 3D glasses. The light gun works just like any other controller, it plugs into the controller port. And there are some games that don't work right with Genesis controllers, you'd get the same result if you tried to use Genesis pads on a real SMS. Penguin Land is one that comes to mind, there are others, I think Bomber Raid, and some imports as well. I'd recommend buying a couple SMS pads to go along with it, for when you do pick up those games.

And a Power Base adapter will not work under a 32x either. I don't think that would even give you enough pins for the 32x. But it's a breeze to pull out one and slide the other back in.

My PBC never comes off my Genesis.. I have more SMS games than Genesis.

I can't recall the last time that I took mine off either. My Genesis carts just sit and gather dust these days. SMS games, on the other hand, are still in heavy rotation.

Thanks everyone! All the info I needed. Interesting about some games requiring the SMS pads...I would have thought that, since the Genesis pads have more buttons than the SMS pads, they would have been able to cover everything. Guess I'll have to pick up a couple. Anyway, I'm really excited about checking out the SMS games...I've never ever played them before. Nobody I knew had a SMS when I was younger--everyone had the big NES. From what I've been hearing, I think I really may have been missing out on a great system.

Try out the following SMS games

Power Strike

Zillion

Choplifter

Double Dragon

Rampage

Sonic the Hedgehog(you may have to get a UK cart, US one is pretty rare).

All are top notch quality.

On that note, does anyone know how much a PBC should go for loose? I want to pick one up and I want to know what price range I'm looking at. No room to keep the sms hooked up seperate, ya see.

From Jeff Bogumil's SMS FAQ guide,

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/sms/game/22669.html

these games won't work with the Genesis controller on the converter:

Great Volleyball

Shanghai

Alien Syndrome

Wonder Boy in MonsterLand

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

Montezuma's Revenge

Bomber Raid

Tennis Ace

Also the game card F-16 Fighting Falcon won't work with the converter.

these games won't work with the Genesis controller on the converter:

Great Volleyball      

Shanghai      

Alien Syndrome      

Wonder Boy in MonsterLand      

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?      

Montezuma's Revenge      

Bomber Raid      

Tennis Ace

I'd recommend picking up a Sega Control Stick to use with those games. It's a good, comfortable feeling controller and I can use it with my thumb the same way that I use a 2600 stick.

Stick.jpg

Actually I think it's Right-handed. :ponder: The controller part is on the Right, buttons are on the left. It's the same as 2600 sticks. I personally started off with the 5200, and it's ambidextrous controls. From there I hit the NES, and have been use to that design ever since. Coming back to Atari and then the 2600, I found the original sticks quite odd, and have never really liked them too much. I always use the Tac-2 as it's got buttons on both sides which makes it easier on me.

I have one of these Sega Control Sticks as well, I don't use it thou. Maybe if there was a way to turn the controls around inside, maybe just swaping the wires. :ponder: Then you could turn the controller upside down and play. :P

Also it will not work on top of the 32x adaptor. :( I tried.  Thought it would be cool since it did fit.

Did you try it under the 32X? Might work better that way.

--Zero

The reason for trying it on top of the 32x adaptor was because I only had an Sega Genesis 2 at the time.

Later,

Josh

The Power Base Converter fits a Gen2 QUITE well...

Well, mine does. I grant that this is because the previous owner took a Dremel and cut the back tab off to MAKE it fit, but...

And I love the Control Stick. It's a tad lightweight, but any controller that puts the directionals back under my dominant hand where they belong is good by me.

Archived