IGNORED

52K Atari 800 - did anyone else do this ?

TGB1718

The 800 compatible upgrade I'm talking about doing to a board, I referred too as the 48/52K, I'm talking about using all 64K (any 400/800 board that is at least 48K actually use 8x64K drams and so 64K memory is there, but Atari's and some other 48K boards just ignore it unless modified.) like the Mosiac bank switches to the same continuous 48+4K memory. Similar to how the Mosiac 64K board works, but I actually don't know if it's 100% compatible with the Mosiac board. It's one of Claus's designs. so it doesn't touch the OS locations. ($C000-$D000)?? I may be mis-reading my self-edited, abbreviated memory map...I'm just teaching myself all this stuff lately, usually I just build the upgrades, I hadn't really started learning the 6502 and Atari memory map until recently, I still have to use reference constantly. I have Mapping the Atari, but this chart in 'How to program your Atari in 6502 Machine language' (A Hofacker paperback) was the easiest to find since I read the book a couple weeks ago.

Jesus... Hofacker i have not heard that for decades... similar me reading from week to week Data Beckers Atari Intern book. I have several of same book so its always available :D.

• Like 1

Jesus... Hofacker i have not heard that for decades... similar me reading from week to week Data Beckers Atari Intern book. I have several of same book so its always available :D.

I was given several Hofacker books among others, including the one I mentioned. English language versions, of course.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

You can emulate a 52k Atari 800 on an XL/XE system. While most translators give you only 48k RAM, there are a few ones, like e.g. Ultra-Translator, that will give you either 48k or 52k (user-selectable)...

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=B.%20Rozne&tg=ULTRA-Translator#ULTRA-Translator

• Like 3

You can emulate a 52k Atari 800 on an XL/XE system. While most translators give you only 48k RAM, there are a few ones, like e.g. Ultra-Translator, that will give you either 48k or 52k (user-selectable)...

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=B.%20Rozne&tg=ULTRA-Translator#ULTRA-Translator

The BOSS XL replacement OS ROM incorporated a feature like this. From the V1.0 documentation:

COLDSTART COMMANDS: (power on switch or after RESET plus START)

OPTION--turns on BASIC (800XL)
	SELECT--add 4k extra RAM if no cartridge;  add 4k above cartridge if present. Turns on RAM O.S.
	OPTION + SELECT--BASIC on plus 4k protected RAM above BASIC (800XL only)
	START--boot tape

Could be interesting to make a more comprehensive list of software that utilizes 52K.

Previous thread discussing the XL BOSS with ROM dumps: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279956-anyone-have-the-xl-boss-os-rom/

• Like 2

Andreas, I always wonder about your Atari knowledge:) learns this week about 4K additional ram and today about other translators :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I found that both variants of OmniView XE also has a feature to copy OS to RAM with Select+Reset, and enable 52K usable RAM. I only noticed because the Happy Utility 7.1 disk reports 48K or 52K on the main menu. I was curious if it actually benefits happy backup. I found that with 48K it will read tracks 0-14 in the first pass, and with 52K it reads tracks 0-15.

Interesting, but it unfortunately doesn't reduce the number of disk swaps with a single drive. :)

• Like 1