IGNORED

3D Design Software and Printing Services

bfollowell

I want to design an enclosure for my AtariMax SIO2PC-USB Dual Port board. I know a lot of you have designed cases and other things for your projects and are undoubtedly much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. What is a good, free, beginner-friendly design program? Also, I don't have a 3D printer, and really can't justify purchasing one. Is anyone familiar with a good for-hire 3D printing service?

Thanks.

Google's Sketchup works well, or Blender. And I have an amazing 3D printer, when you are ready to send me over your design and I can give you a quote.

Thanks for the advice and the offer Gavin. I'll check Sketchup and TinkerCAD out and will let you know when I get something I like, that I think will work.

I know there are various 3D file formats. What would you need to print something, just to make certain whatever I use will work with your setup.

Thanks to you as well Gandor for suggesting TinkerCAD.

Thanks for the advice and the offer Gavin. I'll check Sketchup and TinkerCAD out and will let you know when I get something I like, that I think will work.

I know there are various 3D file formats. What would you need to print something, just to make certain whatever I use will work with your setup.

Thanks to you as well Gandor for suggesting TinkerCAD.

STL format is the standard.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

STL format is the standard.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Yeah, I hate having a bare PCB just sitting there with no protection. I have an 800XL and a 1050, so I think I want to try to design something similar to the SDMax case; something that's at least similar to the XL styling.

I recently did some initial designs.

I started out with Autodesk Fusion 360. It is pretty good. Though its cloud based and the hobby licence may disappear.

For my next project Ive been trying openscad. Its a simple programming language rather than gui driven. I quite like it and it fits my mindset better. Depends if you are a coder or more used to using guis.

For printing them Ive been using 3dhubs. Upload the stl design then select material and choose a company to print. They add/remove supports for you typically.

• 6 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, bfollowell said:

I want to design an enclosure for my AtariMax SIO2PC-USB Dual Port board. I know a lot of you have designed cases and other things for your projects and are undoubtedly much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. What is a good, free, beginner-friendly design program? Also, I don't have a 3D printer, and really can't justify purchasing one. Is anyone familiar with a good for-hire 3D printing service?

Thanks.

I have one too, I am going to design an enclosure for it this afternoon, I have used Tinkercad before to make an enclosure for my Ultra Satan board. Russ

And 3D printing at our library is totally free but I am limited to 3 hours on really good machines, I actually just got it, has anyone started a design that I can work on modifying ?

Dimensions I can get ok as I have the board with me.... picture coming of the board itself. Steve: if you are reading this, do you want a few to sell cheap?

Russ

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, rcamp48 said:

Is this what everyone is after for a 3d printed housing?

Yes, that's what mine looks like. I was working on one that would have an XL line look to it, but I got busy at work and never got it finished. Actually, I never got much more than the base done. I'm new to this was experimenting and learning as I went. When I got to the top, and the slanted edges/vent holes, it got a little harder, then I got bust at work and it was quickly forgotten.

1 minute ago, bfollowell said:

Yes, that's what mine looks like. I was working on one that would have an XL line look to it, but I got busy at work and never got it finished. Actually, I never got much more than the base done. I'm new to this was experimenting and learning as I went. When I got to the top, and the slanted edges/vent holes, it got a little harder, then I got bust at work and it was quickly forgotten.

Ya, well I just got mine now looking for an extra SIO cable for it, found the KWEST Atari ST library while I was looking , so I may never get around to designing and printing that housing, see my new post on that one..... Russ