IGNORED

65XE/130XE Cartridge Port Extender - 90 degree

NISMOPC

Here's a picture of the ECI to PBI adapter for the MIO from the 1990 ICD Catalog.

Good luck finding one nowadays though. I lost mine, but I was able to use dropcheck's adapter to get my MIO working with a 130XE again. But only 1 cart port works at a time, so can't use say SDX and an R-Time 8, 1 in each slot simultaniously like the ICD one.

post-53052-0-02835800-1551204116.jpg

• Like 1

Hello manterola

It might be very easy to re create one, since it looks like a PCB and one edge connector, that it, right?.. or I am wrong?

It is. Well, it's a PCB with two connectors on it. I bought one years ago from ICD. If somebody wants to recreate it, I'd add some solder points for the unused pins on either side.

Sincerely

Mathy

My MIO ECItoPBI had two big rubber feet. Need to get some like that for the adapter I have from Dropcheck. That board doesn't appear available on her website anymore.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261480-130xe-eci2pbi-adapter-pre-order-offer/

But there is this one now:

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=1090xlr-eci2pbi-bare-adapter-board

• Like 4

is it the same, or modified? interchangeable? need more convenient way of getting at the information. sifting through pictures/schematics to see how they do or don't match up isn't an at a glance affair.

Edited by _The Doctor__

My MIO ECItoPBI had two big rubber feet. Need to get some like that for the adapter I have from Dropcheck. That board doesn't appear available on her website anymore.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261480-130xe-eci2pbi-adapter-pre-order-offer/

But there is this one now:

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=1090xlr-eci2pbi-bare-adapter-board

The 1090XLR ECI2PBI is not actually a standard converter. It was meant to be used with the 1090XLR since it doesn't have all the standard 130XE/800XL signals where they are supposed to be.

I can work up a bog standard single RA cart 130XE extension. All it will do is put the cart connector at RA to the original orientation. If you want the full pass thru connections now you start getting into the possibility of bus contention depending on what's connected to the 'second' cart connector. What has been shown in previous posts is a ECI2PBI converter. Completely different animal. But that can be done as well. Give me a few hours.

Edited by Dropcheck

The 1090XLR ECI2PBI is not actually a standard converter. It was meant to be used with the 1090XLR since it doesn't have all the standard 130XE/800XL signals where they are supposed to be.

I can work up a bog standard single RA cart 130XE extension. All it will do is put the cart connector at RA to the original orientation. If you want the full pass thru connections now you start getting into the possibility of bus contention depending on what's connected to the 'second' cart connector. What has been shown in previous posts is a ECI2PBI converter. Completely different animal. But that can be done as well. Give me a few hours.

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know, with ICD's ECI2PBI with 2 cart connectors, only the RTime8 could be plugged in at the same time as another cart. Anything else would have to go on top of say, spartados X which could switch them on and off.

A single cart port would satisfy modern needs, dual would let a classic R-time 8 coexist without stacking...

My recommendation is the 2 cart port version, the rtime8 never leaves the slot it is in, my spartados x cart in the other slot can be switched off, or a side/avg can still be running on top of the switch off sparta cart, you can have other switched carts in on the rtime8 and still access the drives on the avg/side. I have different version of sdx and switches on the carts and oss carts, it just works in the straight up two cart port version. It really take up no more space, you don't have to use both if you don't want, but it is more convenient, it prevents stress on connectors from stacking too high... you can see your monitor instead of carts. It only changes price by 2 dollars give or take to have both.

My dream is a combined eci2pbi with two slots including eci headers, a switch on port two allowing the selection of normal straight thru connect(like icd/supra), a cart off but pass thru for side/avg/rtime8 position, including the ability to shut off one connector or the other completely when needed.

maybe a run of the simple 2 connector adapter since it might be all of approximate 10.00 dollars give or take (depends on aggregate of parts at the time plus labor etc.) and a run of a complex adapter like I described...

I don't think I could handle not having the adapter on my daily driver, it's been in use since supra and icd first offered them... I wish Atari kept two cart ports on all machines since the 800 first had them that way, enhancing the function of the ports perhaps with a keyed auto selection switch built into the cart case interlock style...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

if I remember correctly pin 3 eci goes to 38 pbi. just click the picture curt uploaded make it big and see if I am correct

eci 7 goes to pbi 47 and pbi 48 and are all tied together on the supra but on the icd rev 1 eci 7 goes to pbi 48 only

Edited by _The Doctor__

is the question about pin 3 because the Decoder in out is not labeled perfectly on some stuff floating around the internet? DO and DI are sort of interchangeable in that respect... they should have just labelled it DIO instead of external decoder out on some of the sheets and DIXX on others...

in any event I'd buy a 2 cart/eci port eci2pbi that might follow... as a premium choice

switch positions

A cart 1 on cart 2 off

B cart 1 on car 2 on

C cart 1 off cart 2 on

another switch to allow pass thru on disabled or off cart so the ide/sd.whatever device can still operate.

I do this current using super spartados x switch and oss multi carts as my switchers... would be nice to do it with most other carts.

else a two cart supra icd combined clone would do it for me on the cheap choice..

in any event I'd buy a 2 cart/eci port eci2pbi that might follow... as a premium choice

switch positions

A cart 1 on cart 2 off

B cart 1 on car 2 on

C cart 1 off cart 2 on

On a XE/XL you can't have two carts enabled at the same time. The only exception that I know of, and it's not really an exception because the R8 is not a true cart is the SDX and R8 carts. Any other cart stacked on the SDX cart is switched on/off by telling the SDX cart to run the cart or by exiting back to SpartaDOS if the stacked cart will allow it.

Do you really mean a horizontal stacked SDX cart rather than a vertical stacked SDX cart?

another switch to allow pass thru on disabled or off cart so the ide/sd.whatever device can still operate.

I'm assuming you mean a 130XE since I don't know of 800XL ide/sd devices that operate using the same cartridge connector. Most of them already have a pass thru connector. Not understanding what you mean here.

The original poster requested a source for a RA cartridge connector. I am assuming the poster is using a 130XE machine.

Here's a possible option. It contains a complete RA 130XE Cartridge and ECI port and adds the PBI converter. If the PBI converter is not needed then it can be left off the design.

ECI2PBIRACart.jpg

• Like 6