IGNORED

No wonder they have all of those 2600 games in stock...

Room 34

I decided today at lunch to stop by GameSwapUSA. I had gone in there once before, and noticed they had a bunch of 2600 games, but nothing worth bothering with. Now that I have an NES, I decided to give them another chance, remembering they had a ton of NES games as well.

So I went in there... the NES games have a sign above them, $5.99 each, third game free. Not bad, I thought. But I couldn't find 3 games I wanted at this particular time, so I skipped it.

No price signage on the 2600 games. So I perused them. Most have waterlogged labels, or are faded from having sat on the shelf in the sun too long.

Anyway, I spotted something that piqued my interest... in a perverse sort of way. They had a copy of Skeet Shoot. Probably the only copy I'll ever see. I asked how much they were charging for the 2600 games, and was taken aback to discover that they, too, were $5.99 each! Please!

I realized they have no particular interest in SELLING these games... they're just there so they can claim that they sell games for the 2600.

There's no place around me to buy games at a good price. One of the local pawn shops has regular Nintendo games for $14.99 (common like Duck Hunt ect.) each. The cheapest and only place that I can find Atari games is the local flea market, and they are $5.00 and up. I think that they had like 10 games(all dirt common) the guy told me $5.00 each except for Pac-man and it was $10.00. The only place that I can get games at a fair price is the internet. I know that sounds crazy, but you can get some good games on E-Bay if you buy a large lot of games at once. That enough rambling for now,

Tony

Well the area around Tampa, FL has been great for the last couple of years for me. Most vendors at the flea markets have Atari games for $1, NES games for about $3-5 (so I only pick up ones I want to play), Genny games for about the same $3. Games still show up at Goodwills and Salvation Armys, I got 4 boxed SNES games yesterday for $1.50/each (of course I don't have a SNES :) ), and most Atari/NES/Genny games are around $3 which is good if its something you want.

And they just opened a Gamestop in St. Pete which I think has decent prices for NES and up games. I got some N64 games for $8 and $10, and a few of them were boxed. Loose NES/Genny games usually have decent prices too, again if it's something you want. Like if I really wanted to play Super Mario 3, I can pay $5 and get it today or hunt for years for a $2 goodwill find, or search ebay to get it for $2 + shipping. $5 Gamestop doesn't sound like a bad option.

So there's still some good areas of the country but I'm sure they will all dry up eventually :(

I still see carts dirt cheap. The place I go regularly has atari carts for 2600, 5200, and 7800 for 1.50 each. NES are 3.75 Genesis 5.00-7.00 Atari Jaguar carts 7.00-10.00. Guess I'm lucky to live where I do. Just got seven 5200 carts for 10.00

- Jay

I still see carts dirt cheap. The place I go regularly has atari carts for 2600, 5200, and 7800 for 1.50 each. NES are 3.75 Genesis 5.00-7.00 Atari Jaguar carts 7.00-10.00. Guess I'm lucky to live where I do. Just got seven 5200 carts for 10.00

- Jay

Man, you guys got it good! I can't find a store anywhere in Halifax that sells carts...but I ran into a guy at a flea market selling NES games and he said he had a huge stockpile of 2600 carts in his warehouse that he would sell me! Sounds too good to be true.... :? :)

- Jay

Don't be surprised if you find that place empty someday...:D

Local competition here..LOL.

$5.99 is a lot for Atari games. I was a bit incredulous when a local

thrift shop was charging $3.50 each. But after some haggling I got

a better price. Once can argue that a real store has rent to pay

and needs to make a profit, but $5.99? My local GameStop has

Genesis games for as little as $1.99 so that's no excuse. On the

other hand, if they have something interesting it still beats eBay.

A $3 bid for that game you really want seems great, until the $5 S&H

gets added. And when the game arrives the postage on the envelope

says 85 cents. Maybe we should all collectively start leaving bad

feedback on eBay when someone charges significantly more for S&H

than the actual postage.

But as far as my hobbies go, video games are still the cheapest

by far so I can't complain.

Check your local flea markets, goodwills, salvation army stores and such. I have found them floating among other electronic items.

Ebay is another place, as well as marketplace here in the forums.

Garage sells will yeild your best bet at finding the rare ones though. Most of the time it will be a mother getting rid of a son or daughters collection un-knowning of it's value or worth. Entire sack, console included for $1-50.

They had a copy of Skeet Shoot.  Probably the only copy I'll ever see.

I wish I could find a 2600 game I need for only $5.99! Seriously though; if you believe that you'll never find another Skeet Shoot, why wouldn't it be worth $5.99 to you?

Archived