IGNORED

RetroHQ Lynx SD Menu Loader version 2

Igor

Hi All,

After a few weeks of work and collaboration with RetroHQ and a few others from this forum, the all new Menu Loader is finally available for download. I've written up an article/user guide on it here - https://atarigamer.com/articles/introducing-lynx-sd-menu-loader-version-2

Download link: https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/releases/download/lynxsd-menu-2-v1.0.2/aglnxmenu2.zip

Source code: https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/tree/lynxsd-menu-2/lynxsd-menu

Here are a bunch of screenshots...

post-54616-0-17013300-1551773714.pngpost-54616-0-28192500-1551773725.pngpost-54616-0-58586900-1551773731.png

post-54616-0-06706300-1551773742.pngpost-54616-0-71477600-1551773759.pngpost-54616-0-41241200-1551773769.png

Try it out, see what you think. It's a drop-in replacement for the v1.8/v1.9 menu. RetroHQ should also have a long file name creation tool for it soon.

Main features:

• Atari Lynx ROM loading - LNX, LYX, O, and COM files
  • Game previews via LSD files (with backward compatibility for _PREVIEW directory in the original Lynx SD Menu)
  • Configurable preferences
  • Redesigned user interface
  • Colour theme support
  • Auto-launch ROM on startup option
  • Long ROM name support
  • Support for EEPROM on SD Cart via LNX file header
  • "INSERT GAME" screen is removed quicker on boot

Update (6-Mar-2019): SainT has sent in a few bug fixes that address the EEPROM on SD cart and low power mode that affected some revisions of the Lynx. Also some minor UI improvements were made. The above download link has been updated.

Enjoy!

Edited by necrocia
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! I like the Insert Game screen speed (although there are other new screens to get through!) and I really like the fast scroll, although as I mentioned previously it would be best to have Z looping to A i.e once the end is reached you keep holding down to get immediately to the start. However the recede screen option gets you there pretty much instantly anyway.

I don't think I'll have the patience to add the full filenames to each ROM although it would be better to see the full name. Especially with all the weird homebrew/demo titles and different versions with nearly the same title.

• Like 1

Z-A looping makes sense, maybe that can be added as a feature for the next version. Incidentally have you had any problems loading any ROMs?

It looks like there is a bug with the games that suport save files, they freeze when they try to save. is there a temp way to prevent it? reiko robot run, flappy birds, and lumberjack freeze when the game is over. Only ones i have tested so far with save i think.

Also if anyone wants to make up the long names baised on the preview names would be great. I already renamed my roms to the same as the lsd files.

Edited by thefred

It looks like there is a bug with the games that suport save files, they freeze when they try to save. is there a temp way to prevent it? reiko robot run, flappy birds, and lumberjack freeze when the game is over. Only ones i have tested so far with save i think.

Also if anyone wants to make up the long names baised on the preview names would be great. I already renamed my roms to the same as the lsd files.

We discovered this bug after release yesterday. It's fixed in the code now (with a few other minor changes), I need to build the new version today. Update will be done by tomorrow, till then sit tight. Thanks for checking it out and reporting this problem!

There will be updated versions of my games available shortly with proper saves on the SD cart.

Awesome Karri!

Here's a new version that should fix these issues: https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/releases/download/lynxsd-menu-2-v1.0.1/aglnxmenu2.zip

Could you please try that and see how you go? I've asked admin to update the OP with this new link.

Here's a new version that should fix these issues: https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/releases/download/lynxsd-menu-2-v1.0.1/aglnxmenu2.zip

Could you please try that and see how you go? I've asked admin to update the OP with this new link.

That took care of the freezing on those 3 games. Thanks for the update.

Will all games that have save options have to be patched to be able to save on the SD?

• Like 1

If you want games that can save on the SD cart then the game needs to be coded that way. You also need to provide a correctly sized save file on the cart. The Lynx can not create files, re-size files or re-name them.

I was planning to make a separate directory for saves.

/saves/flappy.sav
/saves/awreiko.sav

/saves/shaken.sav

All the sav-files are 128 byte long at startup and the content is full of 0xff as a real eeprom.

Patching old games may be difficult. But at least this opens up a new option for making new games. You could easily code a game to use eeprom or SD if they are available.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the great work on this new menu.

I've had my Lynx SD for ages (got one from the second batch made), but only just got around to fixing my Lynx, and then installing the McWill screen.

My SD card is formatted as FAT16, I've copied across the new menu files, and then copied my games in a folder called ROMS.

I can't copy them into the root directory, due to FAT16 limitations.

I've also used the MakeRomList tool to create the romlist.txt in the ROMS directory.

However, when I power up the Lynx, the game titles still show as the shortname in menu.

I've checked the prefs, and long names are selected.

I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, as I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

Also, I seem unable to use FAT32. If I format the card this way, then all I see is 'INSERT GAME' when it's inserted.

Should FAT32 work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy.

Edited by Bagpuss

Send me a message together with your romlist.txt file and the directory listing on the SD card and I'll have a look. I didn't write the MakeRomList tool so it's possible it could be doing something unexpected.

That's not what I said...the romlist.txt file has to be in the same folder as the ROMs. You can have as many folders as you like and in fact there is a limit of 256 files per folder (due to memory restrictions). It's probably a better idea to not have more than about a 100 files in a directory though.

The case with Bagpuss was that there were over 300 files in a directory and they all had long names, which caused Lynx memory to run out.

I'd also suggest crafting your own specific romlist.txt just for the ROMs you want long names for. If you use a 'generic' romlist.txt with all possible ROM names then that will also cause in slower loading times. There's only so much a Lynx can pump out unfortunately :)

That's right. The romlist.txt file must be in the folder where the ROMs are. If you have multiple folders then you need multiple romlist.txt files. There is no requirement to have the romlist.txt file at all, it's only used for displaying long names.

What do you mean you're stuck on menu loading?