IGNORED

Graphics issues

Mick_AA_76

Hi,

Ive just joined and Im after some advice please - Ive got a light sixer that I bought quite a while back but have only just got around to testing it - initially for the life of me I couldnt get it tuned into either of my TVs (Im in the UK so its PAL via RF cable). I put it down to newer lcds having rubbish analogue tuners so tried an old crt and could still only manage similar results to my 2 lcds - couldnt get it locked into a strong signal and could only manage to get a slow rolling fuzzy image.

So having a bit of an interest / hobby with electronics Ive done an A/V mod, and also re-capped it, but I still have the same issue , albeit with a nice, clearer view of the fault ?. The problem occurs on all of the carts Ive tried, and Ive googled / searched YouTube for a similar issue but Ive not seen anything exactly the same - Ive linked to some YouTube vids below that Ive uploaded... any ideas?

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have tried re-seating all 3 chips but I didnt spend any time cleaning pins / sockets so Ill give that another try ?

I do also have a 4 switch Vader model - also faulty though but that seems to be a power issue - Ive read that the various revisions of the TIA / RIOT / CPU are compatible across models - is that correct? Also are they socketed on the Vaders?

Thanks again ?

Mick

I don't believe they are socketed on the vaders but then it has been more than a few years since I took one apart to check. I did just remove the TIA and RIOT from another light 4 switcher and they weren't in sockets. As for different revisions of the chips, yes especially the TIA. And if you should replace the TIA and it fixes the issues, don't be surprised if you have to re-adjust the colors after. Seems I always have to do this when replacing a TIA. Just had to go through this on a Sears Video Arcade 2 this past weekend.

Well I tried re-seating the three chips and giving them a bit of a clean in the process but thats not fixed it ?

The Vaders chips arent socketed but as thats also got a fault that Ive not 100% pinpointed the issue on Im not gonna start swapping out potentially faulty chips from that - its main issue is it doesnt power on, or output anything to the tv - checking the voltages at the regulator shows about 4v input and about 2v output - Im going to replace the regulator first before I go looking for what could be shorting - I checked all the chips on the board and none of them were even warm (apart from the regulator which did heat up a lot quicker than it should)

Thanks again for your help ?

Mick

Edited by Mick_AA_76

The specifics of the problem seem centered around the data lines. The music is vaguely correct, but notes are off. The VSYNC/VBLANK are incorrectly set, causing a constant roll. The screen seems to be mirrored, and the graphics are kinda-sorta right. But the system is basically functional. This suggests that either some data lines on the TIA are not making contact, or they are just dead inside. Certainly the pin labeled D1, since it's needed for the VBLANK and VSYNC programming.

Edited by ChildOfCv

The specifics of the problem seem centered around the data lines. The music is vaguely correct, but notes are off. The VSYNC/VBLANK are incorrectly set, causing a constant roll. The screen seems to be mirrored, and the graphics are kinda-sorta right. But the system is basically functional. This suggests that either some data lines on the TIA are not making contact, or they are just dead inside. Certainly the pin labeled D1, since it's needed for the VBLANK and VSYNC programming.

Thanks for this... I did do a visual check of the soldering which looked ok but Ill double check these pins ?