IGNORED

A Blast From My Past

toddtmw

What version of Excel is that file in Nez?

The XLSX was created in Excel 2010, but XLSX format started in Excel 2007 "XML based", but there's an add-in for Office 2003 to support it too...

Are you implying you're using a version of Excel more than 16 years old? :) I think OpenOffice/LibreOffice can open XLSX too.

I was debating that format, so I'll make a CSV, maybe a Gsheets version for simplicity too.

Some more versions for wider digestion:

- Updated XLSX with additional formatting for printing - puts row 1 header on every page when printing.

- Printable PDF created from the above additional print formatting

- CSV (Comma Separated Values) version for modern 'lowest common denominator' import

- TXT (Tab Separated Values) - another 'lowest common denominator' variation

- Google Sheets version here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvyxdshGETnKl1GiQw8KA5e6-wQa-pJEdt55YCKmP3c/edit?usp=sharing

XLSX,CSV,"TSV" TXT are zipped, PDF separate, attached.

ProgramsB.zip

Programs.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Nezgar, its just that my old skinflint version of Office 2003 does not support the newer type of the file.

Not your fault, I should get a newer version but as the only person who uses it is my daughter and she rarely does means I'm not keen to throw money at it :)

Thanks Nezgar, its just that my old skinflint version of Office 2003 does not support the newer type of the file.

Install the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" and then Office 2003 will be able to open the newer formats as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33298

• Like 2

this is a kick ass topic!!!! I admit I was going through the lists looking for utilities/bbs/phreaking apps but it was fun reading the comments... the comment on Hacker was hilarious....

I would kill to see someones list like this that was in the tools scene more than the games scene for my phreaking apps list compilation...

• Like 2

Okay. My experiences were somehwat similar to Nezgar's. Although I'm using the ATX of Synfile...

I'd love to see a patched version of Synfile that lets you put the data disk in drive 2. (Yeah, I know, not going to happen.)

I'd also love to see Avery add a shortcut for swapping disks. maybe something like alt-ctl-1 followed by alt-ctl-2 swaps 1 and 2? you could then have 8 "active" disks at a time.

I think the most interesting thing is how immune Synfile seems to be to speed enhancements. I mean, I cranked EVERYTHING up. When I put a DOS disk in and boot the atari, it immediately shows the dos menu.

Synfile loads okay (kind of, but still way slower than just dos) but when you manipulate data, it takes a VERY long time. I just ran a reindex of 541 items and it itook over 6 minutes. I mean, warp speed 6 minutes! That's a lot of processing. It HAS to be doing SOMETHING that conflicts with the accleration settings, doesn't it?

I can't imagine what this would be like on real hardware. I do NOT recall being this patien when I was a teenager. Although, I *DID* use my coputer with just a tape drive for almost a year, so...

I'm going to lower all the settings to stock and do the reindex again, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it that long.

Install the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" and then Office 2003 will be able to open the newer formats as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33298

Thank you.....So long since I have even bothered with Office, much appreciated...

this is a kick ass topic!!!! I admit I was going through the lists looking for utilities/bbs/phreaking apps but it was fun reading the comments... the comment on Hacker was hilarious....

Yup, things like this really make my day, always worth reading the list for wanted as you say..The comments are great, fresh thoughts from the past....Its nice for the writer of the comment to see how or if their preferences on games / programs has changed over the years..

(Edit: really must make use of multi quote a bit more...Oops..)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I sorted my synfile list by disk and then by name (took about 8 minutes with Altirra cranked up as high as possible.)

Then, I printed it to disk (I walked away, no idea how long it took, but it was a lot.)

Then, I copied the print out to H6: and got the attched list.

At this point, I realized, I should have used 2-digit disk numbers for all disks so the sorting would work better. Ah well. Maybe a future update to the list.

Then I spent several days trying to find a mnue that was close to the one I had BITD.

Finally found one. My search was hampered by having my disk drive set as 810 in Altirra, which caused "problems" trying to double density. Once I got that corrected (Indus drive) things went much better.

Then, I used that 63 MB GAMES.ZIP that had 4 disks with most games in it to find the games I needed. (I copied the whole thing to a single directory to make finding the games I wanted easier.

I am attaching a .zip file with the baker's dozen of my first disks. The 3 SD disks and the first 10 DD disks. There were a few titles I could not find and one disk could not hold everything that it did BITD. I'm guesing the versions I had were "smaller" which probably isn't a good thing.

Anyway, once I get all of the disks recreated, I will start writing them to real disks.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a disk label program? I had one that I used that I just printed on regular paper and used a piece of scotch tape on each end to attach it to the disk. Obviously, I have no idea what it was and have been unsuccessful finding something comparable.

Thank you all for going down this journey with me!

Hacker's Haven 13.zip

listdn.txt

• Like 2

It should be fairly simple to write something in BASIC to format text to print on standard size sheets of labels. 3, 4, 5 across (depending on size).

The Atari is fully capable of printing directly to proper (non-win GDI) printers.

I would recommend an inkjet (for sticky labels). Some laser printers will melt the glue on the back of the label. This may foul the drum.

Are you crazy? I'm going to use my Panasonic KX-P1091!

That's a nice printer, but everyone doesn't have one. There are many older inkjets that work. They may be cheaper to find these days. My big Dell M5200 works with the Atari, but I don't print sticky labels with it.

Those inkjets and lasers work well with DaisyDot 3 and produce excellent results.

I have nothing against dot matrix printers. I had a Star NX1000r. That's why I wrote PicPrint +. Color lasers are nicer, though.

:)