IGNORED

Who likes the look of the Colecovision?

Most classic gamers like the CV because of its nearly perfect arcade

translations, but I never heared good things about the console design.

Back in the days i was impressed how big the system was.

Bigger was better! Today I often compare the design with the PlayStation 2. I know most classic players like the look of the 5200 more than the

CV, but I think the CV looks good in its own way.

Mister VCS

Most classic gamers like the CV because of its nearly perfect arcade

translations, but I never heared good things about the console design.

Back in the days i was impressed how big the system was.

Bigger was better! Today I often compare the design with the PlayStation 2. I know most classic players like the look of the 5200 more than the

CV, but I think the CV looks good in its own way.

Mister VCS

I always thought the CV looked really sleek. I remember as a kid the fancy number font on the keypad contributed to my high opinion of it. Plugging the controllers in and taking them out was always kind of a pain though. But when they sit nicely in their compartment space, I think the console looks pretty cool overall.

I've always liked the way the CV looks... I know people always make fun of consoles with built-in controller holders, but I think it suits the system. After all, the meat of the CV was small enough that even with the joystick bays, it wasn't overly large (As opposed to the 5200, which was ginormous enough without the bays). And just looking at all my systems with controller cords everywhere makes me almost wish that they still did make bays for them...

My only real complaint about the design is the fact that expansion stuff looks bad... the way everything jams into the front is clumsy, and the roller controller is only adequate in design (at least it steals power from the system instead of needing an adaptor). In comparison, the Genesis and it's add-ons actually look rather sleek.

--Zero

I like the rainbow logo of the colecovision. I used to stare for hours at magazine ads for the CV because of the fact the carts were the first to actually have the arcade game logo of whatever the game was. (Man.....this is the REAL Donkey Kong!!!)

I don't like the look of the ColecoVision. The lack of symmetry throws it off balance, and the little mushroom joysticks sticking out look strange to me. I much prefer the sleek Intellivision Master Component. That's a classy looking system, at least in a 1979 kind of way.

I also like the look of the GameCube, the GB Advance SP, and the Genesis 2 and 3. Mmmm, small hardware.

The CV should have been a loud and clear alarm to Atari at the time, people want better looking video games, like the arcade ones. (one of the reasons why MAME is so popular)

This even holds true today. Just look at the first person shooters currently on the market. Most of them are starting to look like you are playing a movie.

I like the rainbow logo of the colecovision.  I used to stare for hours at magazine ads for the CV because of the fact the carts were the first to actually have the arcade game logo of whatever the game was.  (Man.....this is the REAL Donkey Kong!!!)

Me too i used to do the same thing, then my uncle got a colecovision and i got to stare at it live, but he would rarely let me play it back then :(

I don't like the look of the ColecoVision. The lack of symmetry throws it off balance, and the little mushroom joysticks sticking out look strange to me.

Take a look here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/coleco_jr.htm

I love my "NEW" Colecovision Jr. with a/v mods and my new controller :)

colecovision_jr_face.gif

Take care,

-Lee

The CV Jr mod does look cool, too bad that wasn't the original design.

I don't dislike the design but I don't love it either. The big joystick bay

is a bit ugly when empty. I prefer the way the INTV and 5200

incorporated joystick storage. The 5200 is defiantly the best looking

console of all the early systems and possibly all time.

John

The CV Jr mod does look cool, too bad that wasn't the original design.

I don't dislike the design but I don't love it either. The big joystick bay

is a bit ugly when empty. I prefer the way the INTV and 5200

incorporated joystick storage. The 5200 is defiantly the best looking

console of all the early systems and possibly all time.

John

I kind of like the look of the CV. It's so very early 80's!

It reminds me of my first Hitachi stereo with the built-in 8-track player.

I have a special place in my heart for all that state of the art circa 1982 technology.

One time I was purchasing a CV in the local thrift, complete with controllers etc.., and the clerk asked me what kind of phone system this was. It gave me a different perspective of the CV as, to the casual observer, it does look like some kind of funky phone system.

-Lee

One time I was purchasing a CV in the local thrift, complete with controllers etc.., and the clerk asked me what kind of phone system this was.  It gave me a different perspective of the CV as, to the casual observer, it does look like some kind of funky phone system.  

-Lee

Yeah, but the 5200 was the real phone system, right? Hold the phone to the speaker and hit the keypad buttons in Realsports Baseball and it would dial the call for you.

Hello CV fans.

I thought that since everyone was here, I would ask a related but slightly off topic question. I personally love the look of the CV but everybody knows that it was a flawed design and there are a few problems people have had with the controllers and the static electricity problems with the controller ports. The latter mentioned problem results in the CV automatically starting a game on 2 players and diminished controller response due to the SN74LS541N chips attached to the controller ports being damaged by static electricity.

I have researched this as best as I can and found that there are many solutions for these problems but hardly any testimonials as to whether they have worked for the people who have tried them. My question is: Has anyone tried replacing the SN74LS541N chips to remedy the automatic game select problem? Can anyone tell me whether they have performed the surgery and whether it was successful or a failure?

Archived