IGNORED

Was there a Odyssey 2 with removable controlers ?

TheCoolDave

Hi,

I've head a rumor but, never saw one... I wanted to use a Odyssey 2 in my cabinet when get started but, the controller wire length is just too small and with them attached I cant keep the shelf clean.

So was there such a unit that had removable controllers with extensions available (if it's a standard plug, it can be created)?

If your wondering about the cabinet project I am doing, this was the starting and my thread for it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284807-connecting-many-classic-consoles-to-modern-tv-revisited/

Edited by TheCoolDave

The Videopac G7000 (the European, version of the Odyssey 2) has both version: removal and non removal controllers (as far as I remember, we can find both DIN and DB9 controllers).
The Videopac+ (like G7400) version always has removable DIN controller.

• Like 1

Was there a US version released and what model/s have it ? Oh, DB9 like Atari and many other consoles... I almost miles of ext cords for them... Nice.

I might have to hunt one down if it's not crazy money...

The one I have works perfect but I'd rather not use for my project it with the controllers attached

Edited by TheCoolDave

I spent some time tonight looking over ebay, it's really hard to tell, There are some but, some want big money, others appear to not be working, others with out controllers (that cost $40-50 for a set)..

I'll see what I can find here. Thanks for the info, I cant find a smoking gun on the side of what model has them..it's hit or miss...

Edited by TheCoolDave

I spent some time tonight looking over ebay, it's really hard to tell, There are some but, some want big money, others appear to not be working, others with out controllers (that cost $40-50 for a set)..

I'll see what I can find here. Thanks for the info, I cant find a smoking gun on the side of what model has them..it's hit or miss...

dude, if you get one without controllers I can sell you a working set of detachable controllers for 15 plus shipping

Thanks for the info everyone, I ended up finding one on eBay that has removable controllers for fairly cheap money (and fully complete with everything), it was said he was not sure if it worked so I will test it fully and see how she works... Then I need to do a A/V upgrade to it...

I hope I can clean up the grey parts on them... I know they are just painted on, so maybe a color match and re-pant to make it.

Edited by TheCoolDave

The O2 RF is the best RF quality of that generation, IMO. Composite may not be an appreciable upgrade.

unless it has that stupid proprietary cable, but that is an easy fix

also if you have one of the proprietary cables, if you remove it and add some insulation to the cable it lets you use an odyssey 1 with a rca to coax adapter

I've never known them to be more expensive that the wired units, , as long as they are detachable any extension cable will get the job done, but keep in mind the 2600 compatibles will not work with the o2, as it is wired up differently

I'm visiting this thread to find out about some Odyssey 2 joysticks for sale that are said to be 2600 compatible. Is that not standard? But there are some that are compatible? What's the meaning of this?

Also is it a decent working joystick? I have some salvaged non-detachable joysticks but no working Odyssey 2. I love the size and shape, orientation and feel, but the internal components look very cheap and it's hard for me to imagine it being a very solid option on the 2600.

The pinouts for the 2600 and Odyssey2 are different, but not complicated at all. Everything is pretty much straight wire to wire. If you were inclined to solder in joystick ports that would make your Odyssey2 compatible with 2600 joysticks, you could do that... and I'm sure you could make an Odyssey2 joystick compatible with the 2600 if you wanted. AtariAge user "Grips03" has pinouts for both systems if it helps...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259124-using-atari-joysticks-on-the-odyssey-2/?p=3643678

Personally, I always liked the "looseness" of an Odyssey2 controller. Everything from that era felt so stiff and took so much force to actuate, but the Odyssey2 joystick is a rare exception to that rule. The square flush action button I didn't like so much, but eh, you can't have it all.

• Like 1

The pinouts for the 2600 and Odyssey2 are different, but not complicated at all. Everything is pretty much straight wire to wire. If you were inclined to solder in joystick ports that would make your Odyssey2 compatible with 2600 joysticks, you could do that... and I'm sure you could make an Odyssey2 joystick compatible with the 2600 if you wanted. AtariAge user "Grips03" has pinouts for both systems if it helps...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259124-using-atari-joysticks-on-the-odyssey-2/?p=3643678

Personally, I always liked the "looseness" of an Odyssey2 controller. Everything from that era felt so stiff and took so much force to actuate, but the Odyssey2 joystick is a rare exception to that rule. The square flush action button I didn't like so much, but eh, you can't have it all.

Thanks, I ended up buying another system. My orginal one was not in the greatest of shape but, worked. The one I picked up after a little cleaning of the cart port, it booted right up.

Now I need to find a A/V upgrade for it...prefering S-Video if it's an option...

Thanks, I ended up buying another system. My orginal one was not in the greatest of shape but, worked. The one I picked up after a little cleaning of the cart port, it booted right up.

Now I need to find a A/V upgrade for it...prefering S-Video if it's an option...

I believe only composite and RGB mods are available for the O2. Here's a thread I recently started about composite while here's another thread about RGB.

Edited by Ikrananka

I believe only composite and RGB mods are available for the O2. Here's a thread I recently started about composite while here's another thread about RGB.

Thanks for the info. I found the info the other day about doing the A/V mod coposite and tried it last night (tying into 2 places on the board for A/V), I ran it through my framemsiter and it looks really good, better than RF, so I will be going this route. I just did some test cables hanging off the board, I didn't mount them yet.

Strange issue on this one, I checked the ribbon cable/reseated/cleaned it, the Keyboard does not respond....any idea on this one before I start googling this one ? I get a nice crisp "select game" but cant play it :(

I have a 2nd machine (that does not have removable controllers) going to pull that one apart to try the keyboard..