IGNORED

Japanese Super Famicom, US NES power supply

It seems to fit and it seems to run but I've been warned it could fry the system for being incorrect voltage. True/false? If true where could I source a good power supply for a Super Famicom without spending an arm and a leg? (And don't say Genesis 1 power supply because those are hard to come by and I need the only one I have for my model 1 Sega Genesis.)

False. You are just fine using a US power supply on the Japanese System. Worst thing that could happen is you pop the fuse or voltage regulator but even that is very, very unlikely.

Thought you where saying the SNES power supply not an NES one. NES one is not a good option.

I did the tab removal on my original 1991 model in the mid 90s nice and smooth with an automatic nail file, worked great for some years but it's like without the tabs and having the door wider than the game the pins got sloppy in time. I eventually had to wedge something in there or a fart in the wind would cause the game to wiggle and lose the connection locking up the game. Ever since then, I've picked up adapters.

I did the tab removal on my original 1991 model in the mid 90s nice and smooth with an automatic nail file, worked great for some years but it's like without the tabs and having the door wider than the game the pins got sloppy in time. I eventually had to wedge something in there or a fart in the wind would cause the game to wiggle and lose the connection locking up the game. Ever since then, I've picked up adapters.

I've had mine busted out for a decade with no issues... eh mine just has a really tight cartridge port I guess...

Or maybe it's because I did not completely bust the tabs out just enough so that Super Famicom games can fit..

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

False. You are just fine using a US power supply on the Japanese System. Worst thing that could happen is you pop the fuse or voltage regulator but even that is very, very unlikely.

WTF are you talking about? An NES power supply carries straight AC power through it’s brick into an NES. AN NES power supply does not have the transformer to turn the AC into DC. This is because the NES’s AC adapter is in the NES itself. You will fry your system if you use an NES power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to fit and it seems to run but I've been warned it could fry the system for being incorrect voltage. True/false? If true where could I source a good power supply for a Super Famicom without spending an arm and a leg? (And don't say Genesis 1 power supply because those are hard to come by and I need the only one I have for my model 1 Sega Genesis.)

It will fry the system. An NES power brick carries straight AC into the system. This is because the NES has the Adapter in the system instead of the power brick for some reason. You want something like a Genesis model 1 or master system PSU to power your Super Famicom.

• Like 1

It will fry the system. An NES power brick carries straight AC into the system. This is because the NES has the Adapter in the system instead of the power brick for some reason. You want something like a Genesis model 1 or master system PSU to power your Super Famicom.

Okay, this checks out with what I was told was well, which is why I quickly unplugged the NES power brick. I'm on the hunt for a Genesis or Master System power supply but if push comes to shove I'll buy a Gen 1 replacement PS from Retrobit.

WTF are you talking about? An NES power supply carries straight AC power through it’s brick into an NES. AN NES power supply does not have the transformer to turn the AC into DC. This is because the NES’s AC adapter is in the NES itself. You will fry your system if you use an NES power supply.

My bad, I thought he said SNES not NES. I was refering to the 100v and 115v difference between the US and JPN standards.

Anyhow, here is a 3rd party PS for $6 shipped that will work like a champ.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-for-Nintendo-NES-Super-SNES-Sega-Genesis-1-3-in-1/113360827272?hash=item1a64d4f388:g:4FQAAOSwAE9b5eFc

• Like 1

My bad, I thought he said SNES not NES. I was refering to the 100v and 115v difference between the US and JPN standards.

Anyhow, here is a 3rd party PS for $6 shipped that will work like a champ.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-for-Nintendo-NES-Super-SNES-Sega-Genesis-1-3-in-1/113360827272?hash=item1a64d4f388:g:4FQAAOSwAE9b5eFc

That's probably the same one I just bought. There were two on eBay. One was $6.11 shipped, the other was $4.99 but almost $2 shipping. I bought the $6.11 one.

In case anybody was wondering I got the RetroBit replacement power supply listed above. It was a bit concerning when I took it out of the box because it was so lightweight compared to the real power supplies that go with these things, but it worked perfectly. I suppose they're just lighter because the technology has gotten smaller and cheaper to manufacture for power supplies over the decades but still... I swear it feels like it's 90% air. Works though!! :D