IGNORED

Anyone in S Fla good with mods?

jetset

My 5200 took a shit a few weeks ago. Not sure the problem, I have 3 functioning switch boxs', a power supply that works (measured with a multimiter), but somehow the unit still doesn't power up. Yes, I know the power mod is easy...but I suck at this stuff and would much rather pay someone.
Anyways....a long shot, but figured I'd see. My next step is selling off my system. Too many things to do in a day for me to fart around with something I don't know how to do.

TIA!

If the switch boxes are good and the power supply is good. Then the only other quick fix is to replace the flip flop IC for the power on/off itself. It is nearly always in a socket on the 4-port units and easy to access. Only have to remove the top cover(taking care to not let the controller cover fall out) and it is right there by the power switch.

https://console5.com/store/cd4013-flip-flop-ic-atari-5200-power-stuck-on-or-off.html

It is a very cheap component to replace out. Look around and see if there aren't other things you might want to grab to make the shipping worth it more.

That is what I would try first before anything else.

You have a 4 port with a soldered power flip/flop IC in it? Interesting...does that 4-port have an asterisk on the SN by chance?

Either way, it is a cheap part to get and always good to have on hand because those ICs are prone to failure.

You have a 4 port with a soldered power flip/flop IC in it? Interesting...does that 4-port have an asterisk on the SN by chance?

Either way, it is a cheap part to get and always good to have on hand because those ICs are prone to failure.

Well, *maybe* I do. Not 100% sure. I attached a pic of where what I *think* is the IC. The pic is my current (dead) board. The old (also dead) board has that same chip in the same place, and yes it's soldered onto the board. I ordered one frm that link.

post-997-0-17418400-1554849389_thumb.png