IGNORED

Who makes (repairs) controllers better?

Avid Fan

I've been wanting to get a 5200 for quite sometime now (with that trackball, how could you not want one) and I'm finally gonna get one soon.

I live in the same town as 4Jays, and while their a great store, I've seen this one store (61 Video) and they charge quite more for 5200 controllers. Now it boils down to which ones are better? Does anybody know? Video 61 doesn't tell what exactly they have done to them, but 4Jays mentions a new rubber boot. I'm really stuck, and I wanna get the best deal

I've been wanting to get a 5200 for quite sometime now (with that trackball, how could you not want one) and I'm finally gonna get one soon.

I live in the same town as 4Jays, and while their a great store, I've seen this one store (61 Video) and they charge quite more for 5200 controllers. Now it boils down to which ones are better? Does anybody know? Video 61 doesn't tell what exactly they have done to them, but 4Jays mentions a new rubber boot. I'm really stuck, and I wanna get the best deal

Well, as CPUWIZ mentioned, I also offer rebuilt 5200 joysticks here to AtariAge members and have a very long list of happy customers. I'll tell you exactly what I do: I replace the circuit with a brand new revision 9 circuit (latest and greatest), and I also replace the 2 fire buttons with a set of new "triple dot" fire buttons (more contact area = improved performance) and finally install a new Start/Pause/Reset pad with larger contact dots than the original. I test the sticks on a factory spec Atari 5200 console with various games, and then send them out to you by priority mail. They are generally in very good cosmetic condition. PM me to discuss what you are looking for and I'm sure I can help you out.

I can tell you MrRetro...has a good deal and does get the 5200 stix working brilliantly. I sent him a bunch of my old ones for trade (falling apart, barely working) and he sent me 2 refurbished ones that work a as good as new. 4Jays has a good selection and all, but they are a bit pricey IMHO....... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see what the big deal is about fixing 5200 sticks; every 5200 floppy I've ever come across when hunting doesn't work, but after givng them 'the clean' and some Copper resin, they all work as well as original 5200 sticks can. It's just some eraser work and pentiometer checks, 10 minutes work for each stick.

Geoff "But still got 2 Wicos" Voigt

I agree. My first experience with 5200 sticks was last night. In three hours after taking three apart in piss poor condition, I had rebuilt 2 that worked great. Hardly hafta touch the fire buttons. Strangly enough, I had one rev 7 flex circuit which worked way better then a rev 9.

- Jay

Archived